How do I do this?

I would actually suggest trying to stick to 35-40 if you're wanting medium light and no co2. It's really all trial and error ultimately :idont you'll have to try it out and problem solve as you go ;)

I have a double bright 36-48" fixture, on my 40 breeder, and I love it! I supplement with a Marineland hidden Led light. :)

Hmmm, that makes me wonder about these... http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Flex-Aquarium-Bubble-21-Inch/dp/B009UVKGPO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402774173&sr=8-2&keywords=led+bubble+wand+aquarium Would a couple of them make enough of a contribution, do you think? I kind of wanted them anyway... :whistle Amazon has an even better price on the 36-48" Double Bright - it's so low I'm thinking I should just go for it. My anubias seems to be doing well with just the stock light, so it would surely be an improvement over that, right?

I don't know that I would rely on the bubble wand to light your planted tank, as it would be on the tank floor. If you like the double bright, then try it, just be sure to go for the larger size. My tank is 36" long, so I bought the 36-48", and it lights everything nicely.

What do you have? A 55?

I don't know that I would rely on the bubble wand to light your planted tank, as it would be on the tank floor. If you like the double bright, then try it, just be sure to go for the larger size. My tank is 36" long, so I bought the 36-48", and it lights everything nicely.

What do you have? A 55?

I see! I have a 60, and it's 48wx12dx24h

Aw, the 36-48 was the one with the great price... The 48-60 (35 PAR at 24") is only about $30 less than the Finnex Ray2, which is supposed to be 50 PAR at 24". http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K3DO9I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3L1GY956MBQ8L&coliid=IG3PMXGTQ1GBU&psc=1

Anyone have strong feelings about that one? Just wondering if it would be worth the extra cost for the additional PAR. :)

ETA: Ah, but then maybe I'm back to potential algae problems...

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

You can reduce par by adding floating plants, window screen or raising the fixture if you need to.

You might check out the finnex planted plus if you're thinking about going with finnex. I'd personally go with that one over the ray 2 just because of the coloring of the fixture (LEDs can look a little too white /harsh compared to fluorescents and can actually decrease red coloring in plants, at least how we perceive the red. The planted plus added 660 nm diodes that warm up the light a bit and will help bring out colors more than something like the ray 2 which if I remember correctly is just 7k diodes. But I don't know what the price difference is, it may not be worth it if the fixture costs a lot more. I don't think finnex has released par data yet for the planted plus , it's supposed to be a little less than the ray 2 though. You might be able to contact them and find out.

You can reduce par by adding floating plants, window screen or raising the fixture if you need to.

You might check out the finnex planted plus if you're thinking about going with finnex. I'd personally go with that one over the ray 2 just because of the coloring of the fixture (LEDs can look a little too white /harsh compared to fluorescents and can actually decrease red coloring in plants, at least how we perceive the red. The planted plus added 660 nm diodes that warm up the light a bit and will help bring out colors more than something like the ray 2 which if I remember correctly is just 7k diodes. But I don't know what the price difference is, it may not be worth it if the fixture costs a lot more. I don't think finnex has released par data yet for the planted plus , it's supposed to be a little less than the ray 2 though. You might be able to contact them and find out.

Cool! I am just amazed at all this info, completely fascinating.

I procrastinated the scarlet temple to death, and the bacopa australis has lost all its leaves, but I think the others might actually make it. :)

If you can get the Finnex for a similar price, then I agree, you should go with that one! They say that it's a great fixture! :)

With plants, you never know. Never tell yourself that you can't grow "x,y,z". Try it, and if it doesn't work out, then don't buy it again. Sometimes, what will do well, in a system may surprise you!

Edited by yafashelli

I have the planted plus. Since I started using it, I've had to add fertilizers and excel to the water in order to avoid the anubias leaves from disintegrating (even with just a 5-6 hour photoperiod) and to reduce algae. I haven't been able to find a floating plant that my fish won't eat or tear apart, so it will be ferts and excel for my tank. I'm fine with that because I love the results I get with the plants.

I have the planted plus. Since I started using it, I've had to add fertilizers and excel to the water in order to avoid the anubias leaves from disintegrating (even with just a 5-6 hour photoperiod) and to reduce algae. I haven't been able to find a floating plant that my fish won't eat or tear apart, so it will be ferts and excel for my tank. I'm fine with that because I love the results I get with the plants.

Good to know, that may be more than I can handle at the moment. :)

Here is the thread on my adventure: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116953-dry-fertilizers-from-green-leaf-aquarium/

If you don't want to potentially start tinkering around with ferts and liquid carbon, then you'll want to find low lights. I definitely don't suggest the planted plus, unless you having floating plants that your fish won't eat, choose to raise the location of the lights, or put something between the water and the light.

In any case, do start experimenting (which I think you have started). Since your anubias are doing well with your stock lights, then just go from there. Add plants you like and you think will do well with those lights. If your plants start to look funny, then take a picture and start a thread here. People will help you figure out what to do next. That's what I did. Actually I bought the planted plus lights and started running into trouble there. But it has turned out well and I learned a lot!

Here is the thread on my adventure: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116953-dry-fertilizers-from-green-leaf-aquarium/

If you don't want to potentially start tinkering around with ferts and liquid carbon, then you'll want to find low lights. I definitely don't suggest the planted plus, unless you having floating plants that your fish won't eat, choose to raise the location of the lights, or put something between the water and the light.

In any case, do start experimenting (which I think you have started). Since your anubias are doing well with your stock lights, then just go from there. Add plants you like and you think will do well with those lights. If your plants start to look funny, then take a picture and start a thread here. People will help you figure out what to do next. That's what I did. Actually I bought the planted plus lights and started running into trouble there. But it has turned out well and I learned a lot!

:thud: Way out of my league. I think I will try to find out the PAR on what I've got, I'm curious how it compares - I do actually have a new leaf just starting on the anubias. But we like to have the lights on for 12+ hours a day. :hide: I would be really sad to have a new light I could only have on for a short period of time, because I'm home all day. This is all so interesting!! :)

ok, so sufficiently terrified by that ;), and enticed by an even lower $69.34 price tag, I just bought the 36-48" Double Bright from Amazon (mostly gift cards too! :D ). If it's not bright enough, I'll put it on eBay. :krazy:

Thank you so much everyone, I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. :)

Got a response back from Finnex about the par, so thought I'd share it:

Hello Kathleen,
Currently, we do not have any of the par values for the Planted +. It should be very close to our regular FugeRay series or just a tiny bit more.

Team Finnex

Got a response back from Finnex about the par, so thought I'd share it:

Hello Kathleen,

Currently, we do not have any of the par values for the Planted +. It should be very close to our regular FugeRay series or just a tiny bit more.

Team Finnex

I don't understand how they don't have par values yet! the thing came out in december, you'd think they'd own a par meter to test those sort of things! I'll send them mine :rofl thanks for reporting back though, I hope they will release this info soon.

And the response from Marineland on my fluorescent F15D8NDL, 18" Natural Daylight:

"We do not have PAR readings for normal, daylight fluorescent bulbs. This light would only be 5500 Kelvin and not suitable for plants or corals."

That was probably a no brainer, but I wasn't catching that when I initially asked. :)

Well bummer. The light just got here, and it's cracked. The description on Amazon said there would be damage to the box, but didn't say anything about damage to the item (compared to others that did specify damage to the item). So I'm returning it.

That's ok though, because I think I had confused it with another light I had looked at, and thought it actually expanded from 36-48". But it's just 36". So I'll probably reorder in the 48-60" size afterall so that it looks better on the tank... but it may be a little bit, because I have other things calling for my Amazon budget at the moment...