Sign in to follow this  
GoldieNewb

Does my fish have dropsy?

21.June.2014

10456269_10105326960789691_8182196475149

today: (the angle makes a difference, fish is more upright:)

10432122_10105398129686651_8866603575005

a better example (today:)

10457943_10105398128079871_3317883827631

i think the position of the first displayed photo and the last displayed photo are quite similar.. and the second photo displayed, the fish is a little more upright and is showing slightly prickly scales than what you see in a slightly nose dipped position. the symptoms of pineconing is certainly a tricky one.. sometimes, although we are still on a positive path, the scales may flare slightly at any given time and then settle.. yes, this still does mean that there is infection with the fish, so antibiotics need to continue. if you have not had a good experience with MetroMeds where it concerns floaty issues, the treatment of Metronidazole should have continued.. you can add MetroMeds to home made gelfood (that have a basiis of peas, a natural laxative to assist with digestion).. or you can add Metronidazole into the water and continue treatment (usually for 30 days in these situations).

also, depending on the type and severity of the bacteria.. sometimes and like most things, scars can be left. i have seen fish who's scales have taken months to flatten totally (after treatments) which has left the owner constantly wondering if the fish was relapsing and on other occasions (personal experience) where the scales never flatten. also permanent deformities are not uncommon either.

if anything, i would encourage another 14 days minimum on antibiotics.

Helen,

I made the decision to stop the Metro-Meds, because:

1) metronidazole powder is not readily on hand, and it's not a matter of going out to a store and grabbing them.

2) the fish had been flat for more than a week

3) it was not necessarily the MM pellets that caused the floaties, but it could have been the metro itself, or just the heavy amount of foods. The gel would have posed the same issue.

Would you please weigh the fish again? Go ahead and start the Epsom.

Do you have Prazi on hand?

Sorry about the photos, despite having her scales sticking up she's really active. It took me almost 10 minutes to get a decent shot! That's why I'm so shocked she's pineconing still, she seems so healthy :(

I don't have any Metronidazole, I'm hoping I can just use MMs instead. The QT tank I had her in busted when I took it down and I won't be able to get a new one for a bit so I was hoping I could keep her in the main tank and just feed her separately?

I added the epsom salt into my main tank (20 gals so I added 1/2 tsp) and will weigh her now. I do have Prazi Pro, I treated her and her a few months ago with it, I believe in March, and her tank mate got treated a month ago.

I will weigh her today.

I just weigh her, she's at 20 grams. She was 18 grams on June 13.

I've been giving her 8 pellets a day, is that OK? Her energy level seems to be pretty good.

Sounds good. If you can spread that out into several meals per day (4 or more would be great) maybe we can avoid the floaty issue she was having before. :idont

Sounds good. If you can spread that out into several meals per day (4 or more would be great) maybe we can avoid the floaty issue she was having before. :idont

Ok, I will try to go with 4. :) Hopefully that will prevent her from floating again. By the way, how do you calculate how much MMs they need?