Sign in to follow this  
GoldieNewb

Does my fish have dropsy?

It can take several days before you see significant improvement. It is an excellent sign that she is eating and active. :D

What day did you start the MMs? :idont

She started taking the MMs on the 13th so it's been 4 days. By the way I just tested the QT GH and KH and got

KH 125.3ppm (took 7 drops)

GH 6 dKH (took 6 drops)

I did the GH until it turned light green, was I supposed to get it to go darker? I'll be testing the tap water soon. :)

Here are some update photos. I know the quality isn't very good but I think she's looking a bit better.

10346306_10105309147457751_8512383275971

10360690_10105309146549571_5627229957308

10376917_10105309146270131_73672876966344

1907372_10105309146250171_35469913764033

By the way, any thoughts on why she's getting lighter? :(

I think she does look better. The best view for us is the one like the first pic you posted in this thread, straight above her. If you can get a shot like that, that is very helpful.

Your KH is decent as we want it to be above 100 but with your tap pH being so high, I think it would be in your best interest to raise it even a bit more. Although that was your QT KH . . . have you added baking soda to your QT? Please check your tap KH when you get a chance. :D

As far as the color change, black is the least stable color on GF. I think she's probably about to change color for ya. :teehee Not many black fish remain black their entire life.

Could you try to take a direct top view pic, so that we assess the state of her scales? Thanks

Hope these photos look better, I couldn't get a good shot since she's swimming around like nuts :) My taps reading are:

GH 6 dkh

KH 89.5

10376832_10105309487236831_6160366747888

10383563_10105309487107091_256445871950610415657_10105309486767771_2076683545832

Those scales look much better! Keep on fighting, little lady. :D

Those scales look much better! Keep on fighting, little lady. :D

Awesome! :) Thank you!

Now that you have a KH test kit, I'd like you to use this chart

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

And raise your KH. I'd shoot for 150-200. We will see what pH this brings your tank up to and if the KH will be high enough to hold it there. :). Baking soda will max out around 8.3 as far as pH is concerned which is perfectly fine as long as we can get the KH to hold it steady. The bonus is that your tank and tap pH will be much closer so you will be able to do large WCs without stressing your fish. :D

Now that you have a KH test kit, I'd like you to use this chart

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

And raise your KH. I'd shoot for 150-200. We will see what pH this brings your tank up to and if the KH will be high enough to hold it there. :). Baking soda will max out around 8.3 as far as pH is concerned which is perfectly fine as long as we can get the KH to hold it steady. The bonus is that your tank and tap pH will be much closer so you will be able to do large WCs without stressing your fish. :D

Ok, just to check. We want to raise my tap water to 150 at least? So I'm doing this for my 10 gallon QT I'd add 1.5 teaspoons?

How much baking soda did you add before? 1/2 tsp? Did you ever test your KH 24 hours later to see how much that amount raised it? And what it did to the pH? :idont

How much baking soda did you add before? 1/2 tsp? Did you ever test your KH 24 hours later to see how much that amount raised it? And what it did to the pH? :idont

KH was 125.3ppm
GH 6dKH
These values were taken after adding the 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to my QT before the WC, so nearly a day after. The pH is 7.8

pH started at 8.8

Go ahead and add the 1.5 tsp at your next WC. Are you changing 100% of the water?

Then test KH and pH 24 hours later please. :)

Go ahead and add the 1.5 tsp at your next WC. Are you changing 100% of the water?

Almost, probably 90%

Almost, probably 90%

So it was a little longer than 24 hrs (probably 36) but here are the readings

pH is 8.2

KH 196.9

GH 6

Also here is an updated photo, I think she looks really good!

10456269_10105326960789691_8182196475149

pH and KH are great! Baking soda isn't going to change GH but with yours being 107.4 I wouldn't mess with it. :D

She does look much much better! :lisa:

:hi5 Nice work! :D

pH and KH are great! Baking soda isn't going to change GH but with yours being 107.4 I wouldn't mess with it. :D

She does look much much better! :lisa:

:hi5 Nice work! :D

Oh, I thought it affected all of it! XD I'm glad the pH and KH are at a good level now, I have a feeling that's why she got sick in the first place. Hopefully she'll be good from here on out now that we've gotten that under control. :)

Thank you! I'm super happy to see her acting normal. Haven't seen any bottom sitting and she's been swimming around a lot. How much longer do you think I should keep her in quarantine and feeding her the MMs?

She should have MMs for a minimum of 14 days, which in this case I think is long enough. I typically will leave my fish in QT for a few non-medicated days to be sure they are acting OK and symptoms don't return. :D

Hey guys,

So I think Fuyu's scales are 100% back to normal but today she's been floaty. She keeps drifting upwards and I haven't seen her swimming near the bottom at all. I'm attaching a video of her, please let me know what you think. She finishes her 14 day course of MMs on Friday.

http://youtu.be/AkjjuOim0f4

Can't open the video :idont

Edited by jmetzger72

Can't open the video :idont

Weird. How about now?

Still doesn't work...

I can watch the video now. Thank you!

Have you seen him poop?

Let's go ahead and stop the Metro-Meds, but fast for the next day or two. Keep us updated on how he does in the next two days, please. :)