Sign in to follow this  
GoldieNewb

Does my fish have dropsy?

Never mind, that stuff dissolves really quickly! I'm used to canning salt that takes forever. Ok, she's in now. I've got the airstone, salt, primed water, and baking soda. I'm guessing feeding the metro meds is the last part?

Yes,

18 grams means 8 pellets daily.

Ok, should I divide that 3 times and feed her morning noon and night?

Is it ok if I just do it twice a day? I don't think I can do 3 times.

Is it ok if I just do it twice a day? I don't think I can do 3 times.

3 times a day is better, but you can only do what you are able to do! :)

Well, she ate them all! :) I gave her 4 for now since I don't want to over do it. I'll give her another 4 before bed. Will I be doing 100% WCs everyday until she gets better?

As much WC as you can do!

I'm guessing I should also add baking soda to my main tank? I've still got the smaller goldie in there. If so, how much would I need to add? It's a 20 gallon. :)

Add 1 tsp baking soda to your 20 gallon for now. :D

I'm really glad she ate the MMs. :nana

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your little lady! :wub:

Sorry to butt in here, but it I may attempt to interpret what Mikey said, I think he also meant in the sense of some people not having the time/money to feed something like gel foods constantly. At least that's what he said to me while we were texting, that he can't always buy/make repashy due to school, etc.

Not having the time is something that is understandable, just as not having money. So, both of those things are very important considerations.

Having said that, I did some calculations in the past. Unless you are buying some really cheap (and hence not very good for your fish) foods, the Repashy gels end up being much cheaper over the long run. (You have to buy the food at a pound or more for this to make sense).

Also, as for not having the time...when I was making gel food to feed 20 fish, it takes me all of 1 hour every 2 weeks to prepare the food. Is this really that much time into someone's busy schedule? :yikes

I think I spend about 10 minutes once a month making my Repashy. I use the microwave :rofl

and I take two minutes, once a week. However it works for ya!

I'm glad your fishy is eating her MMs, and I really hope she recovers quickly. :)

Thanks guys! :) She ate all 8 pellets today and seems to be in good spirits. I was gone most of the day but I haven't seen her bottom sitting yet. She's still pineconing but I'm hopeful she'll recover. I did a 100% WC and added back in the epsom, prime, and baking soda.

Did you happen to check the ph before you did the WC? :idont

Glad she's eating. Now we just wait for the MMs to work it's magic. :D

Did you happen to check the ph before you did the WC? :idont

Glad she's eating. Now we just wait for the MMs to work it's magic. :D

Ah, I totally forgot! Been out in the sun all day so my brain is kinda fried. I'll do that tomorrow before the WC :)

Ok, I just checked the pH and it's down to 8 from 8.8+ :) I'm going to change her water again tonight, should I add more baking soda?

Every time you do a WC, you must add buffer/baking soda.

Sorry, I meant up the quantity. I'm currently adding 1/2 tsp for the 10 gallons. I was wondering if I should add more than that to bring the pH lower. :)

Edited by GoldieNewb

Sorry, I meant up the quantity. I'm currently adding 1/2 tsp for the 10 gallons. I was wondering if I should add more than that to bring the pH lower. :)

There is no need to bring the pH lower, and with baking soda, it will not happen no matter how much you add, since baking soda will buffer around pH 8 or so. :)

Do you know what your kH is after adding the baking soda?

You're not trying to lower the pH. You're trying to stabilize it by boosting the KH. A pH of 8 is perfectly fine for GF AND closer to your high tap pH which will make WCs easier on your fish by not causing such drastic swings in pH. :D

There is no need to bring the pH lower, and with baking soda, it will not happen no matter how much you add, since baking soda will buffer around pH 8 or so. :)

Do you know what your kH is after adding the baking soda?

Ah, got ya :) My GH/KH kit will be here on Tuesday so I can test it then.

You're not trying to lower the pH. You're trying to stabilize it by boosting the KH. A pH of 8 is perfectly fine for GF AND closer to your high tap pH which will make WCs easier on your fish by not causing such drastic swings in pH. :D

Ok, thanks for letting me know :) The whole KH/GH/pH thing is kinda confusing to me. :)

It's the Bermuda Triangle of fishkeeping. :rofl3

I should write an article explaining each of them and how they relate. :hmm

It's the Bermuda Triangle of fishkeeping. :rofl3

I should write an article explaining each of them and how they relate. :hmm

I would totally read that article! I really want to get a better understanding of how it all works :)

Sorry to butt in here, but it I may attempt to interpret what Mikey said, I think he also meant in the sense of some people not having the time/money to feed something like gel foods constantly. At least that's what he said to me while we were texting, that he can't always buy/make repashy due to school, etc.

Not having the time is something that is understandable, just as not having money. So, both of those things are very important considerations.

Having said that, I did some calculations in the past. Unless you are buying some really cheap (and hence not very good for your fish) foods, the Repashy gels end up being much cheaper over the long run. (You have to buy the food at a pound or more for this to make sense).

Also, as for not having the time...when I was making gel food to feed 20 fish, it takes me all of 1 hour every 2 weeks to prepare the food. Is this really that much time into someone's busy schedule? :yikes

I agree, I think Soilent Green is a great staple food ... it definitely fits into my crazy schedule!

I just bought NLS Thera-A pellets though, and am loving them too. Although the smell reminds me of the shrimp cup-o-noodles I ate throughout college!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Also thanks to everyone that is helping me through this. I am really upset at myself for not noticing how skinny she was earlier and feel really bad that I caused this. :( I really love this little girl.

Don't get down on yourself. My goldfish were all incredibly skinny, and I literally had no idea until some people here pointed it out to me because I'd never actually seen a healthy, fat goldfish in person - all the GF sold in my area are super thin! In my case, the thinness continued because of severe underfeeding. All those warnings about overfeeding your GF were sticking in my head, and I just went too far in the opposite direction. I was feeding a pinch of frozen Spirulina/brine shrimp per day and nothing else.

But when I switched to Soilent Green and began feeding more on Alex's advice, wow! Now my fish look how they are supposed to. I hope your fish's issues are resolved soon.

Also thanks to everyone that is helping me through this. I am really upset at myself for not noticing how skinny she was earlier and feel really bad that I caused this. :( I really love this little girl.

Don't get down on yourself. My goldfish were all incredibly skinny, and I literally had no idea until some people here pointed it out to me because I'd never actually seen a healthy, fat goldfish in person - all the GF sold in my area are super thin! In my case, the thinness continued because of severe underfeeding. All those warnings about overfeeding your GF were sticking in my head, and I just went too far in the opposite direction. I was feeding a pinch of frozen Spirulina/brine shrimp per day and nothing else.

But when I switched to Soilent Green and began feeding more on Alex's advice, wow! Now my fish look how they are supposed to. I hope your fish's issues are resolved soon.

Thanks :) I think I was underfeeding because of that same reason, I was scared I'd kill them by overfeeding them. Funny how now the opposite has caused me so much grief.

I'm actually not sure how much I should feed my fish, how do you figure out the right amount? :(

By the way, Fuyu is very active and eating well! She is a little piggy. However I haven't noticed her pineconing decreasing. How long do you think it will take before I see any results? Is it a bad sign if she doesn't get better soon?

It can take several days before you see significant improvement. It is an excellent sign that she is eating and active. :D

What day did you start the MMs? :idont