Sign in to follow this  
GoldieNewb

Does my fish have dropsy?

It's not not doable for them to live off of gel food and frozen food, it's just hard to do. It's easier to use pellets as a main staple.

Mikey, can you explain this to me please?

I quoted, but I guess it didn't go through?

I just find it easier to feed with pellets than it would to feed frozen/repashy only. It is in my opinion harder to figure out how much to feed to equal the fat and protein etc. Pellets also last longer then a pack of frozen food would. It's also cheaper.

weird.. i got email notification of your post also... but couldn't find it either.

in any case, i think the OP has it covered with the following:

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy soilent green mixed with some frozen bloodworms. I feed them once a day, 4 days out of the week. I fast them one day then feed them a pea the next. On the last day I either feed them frozen brineshrimp or bloodworms exclusively

there should be some weight gain experienced during the course of MM's since feeding the meds will be at 1% of the fish's bodyweight.. once the course of antibiotics is finished and the fish's health is restored then try for no fasting at all, feed 2 or 3 times each day (preferably 3) until there is some good weight gained.

that said, there is nothing wrong with feeding a good pellet food, but a good rotation of healthy, nutritious foods is better than feeding the same thing day in, day out. i like to give my fish soft foods 4 times a week.

I guess it all depends on the individual on whatever works for them and the fish. :)

Sorry, I deleted Mikey's post. It showed up twice on my screen so I deleted what "seemed" to be a duplicate :hide:

I agree the diet could be tweaked. But, we need to deal with the pH and Dropsy first :)

Edited by jmetzger72

Sorry, I deleted Mikey's post. It showed up twice on my screen so I deleted what "seemed" to be a duplicate :hide:

:wa

And as punishment, you must send Cho Cho to me. :lol2

I guess it all depends on the individual on whatever works for them and the fish. :)

exactly :)

I agree the diet could be tweaked. But, we need to deal with the Dropsy first :)

:mad::SmackBottom::pp

I agree the diet could be tweaked. But, we need to deal with the pH and Dropsy first :)

:rofl:wa

I'm at the store now and found kh gh test strips, will those work?

They will not be as accurate but if it's all they have (and they're cheap!), you can always buy them for now and buy the drop kit off of Amazon.

It would be nice to at least have a general idea. :)

Ok, I'm going to hold off cause it's kind of pricey. I have amazon prime so it should arrive quickly

Sounds good!

Actually, no...

While pellets can work for some individuals, I think that gel food works just as well, and most times better. In fact, the owner of Dandy Orandas recommends that all his fish get soft (read gel or thoroughly soaked) foods for the entirety of their lives.

There should be no reason gel foods cannot work. I feed about 20 or so fish entirely with gel for for about 3 years, and they grew just fine. If somehow gel foods are not working for you, it's because you need to go back and do some revision of your strategies.

Sorry to butt in here, but it I may attempt to interpret what Mikey said, I think he also meant in the sense of some people not having the time/money to feed something like gel foods constantly. At least that's what he said to me while we were texting, that he can't always buy/make repashy due to school, etc.

Definitely agree that it's a great feeding method, though. :D

Homemade gel foods are definitely a fun thing to do, too. :happydance

Edited by Chai

Ok, got a tub (they ran out of 10 gals) and am rinsing it now. I also got the salt and have baking soda and metro meds.

Now I add half tank water half tap water (and only prime for the tap water?) and then what do I do? :{

Also thanks to everyone that is helping me through this. I am really upset at myself for not noticing how skinny she was earlier and feel really bad that I caused this. :( I really love this little girl.

Please, don't blame yourself. If we were born knowing everything, that would be pretty boring to never learn.

Just stay calm and stay strong for her. The pineconing isn't as bad as it could be.

Did you get her weight? :)

I can't help with the pH I'm afraid, but I can help with the Epsom. The dosage for that is 1/4 Teaspoon per 10g, so you'll only need one 1/4th measurement.

Add prime for the entire volume.

Add just 1/2 tsp baking soda for now and then test your pH tomorrow at this time and we will see if the pH stays above 7.6.

Also please weigh her so we can calculate the number of pellets to feed. :)

Yes, what cat said :)

Sorry to butt in here, but it I may attempt to interpret what Mikey said, I think he also meant in the sense of some people not having the time/money to feed something like gel foods constantly. At least that's what he said to me while we were texting, that he can't always buy/make repashy due to school, etc.

Not having the time is something that is understandable, just as not having money. So, both of those things are very important considerations.

Having said that, I did some calculations in the past. Unless you are buying some really cheap (and hence not very good for your fish) foods, the Repashy gels end up being much cheaper over the long run. (You have to buy the food at a pound or more for this to make sense).

Also, as for not having the time...when I was making gel food to feed 20 fish, it takes me all of 1 hour every 2 weeks to prepare the food. Is this really that much time into someone's busy schedule? :yikes

She weighs 18 g

Just wanted to make sure this was the right salt

10421179_10105286942806051_4917784373736

That is the correct Epsom, yes. :)

Do I pre dissolve or just toss it in?

Never mind, that stuff dissolves really quickly! I'm used to canning salt that takes forever. Ok, she's in now. I've got the airstone, salt, primed water, and baking soda. I'm guessing feeding the metro meds is the last part?

Never mind, that stuff dissolves really quickly! I'm used to canning salt that takes forever. Ok, she's in now. I've got the airstone, salt, primed water, and baking soda. I'm guessing feeding the metro meds is the last part?

Yes,

18 grams means 8 pellets daily.