Sterilizing Potted Plants

Kat_M

Hi guys :hi

Quick question: how to sterilize potted plants? I got to pots of anubias and I would like to leave them like that as I have sand as a substrate. Any suggestions? Btw, I am using PP to sterilize my plants.

Anubias don't need to, and shouldn't really, be potted. I would remove them from the pots, take away the rockwool that is attached to the roots, and sterilize them that way. Once they're nice and clean, you can tie them to a rock.

Not to dissuade you from your plans, but I would feel really uncomfortable keeping the wool. I think it would be very easy for some lurking yuckies to not be touched by the bleach or PP, if left in tact. And it would also be hard to get it all cleaned out too, you don't want that stuff leaching into the tank water either. :idont

Maybe some have done that with success but those are just my feelings. It's quite easy and fun to attach anubias to rocks, if you have any on hand.

Ages ago, before I joined Koko's I was not even aware than you should sterilize plants. I would just rinse them and them put them in the tank. Now, I get really stressed out every time I need to put fresh plants in. I use cut plants, and this is my first attempt with anubias. I don't have any rocks available but I am not sure if I would like to put one in, especially that Lulu is disabled. I am worried that someone may accidentally bump her into a rock, or she may scratch herself.

Ages ago, before I joined Koko's I was not even aware than you should sterilize plants. I would just rinse them and them put them in the tank. Now, I get really stressed out every time I need to put fresh plants in. I use cut plants, and this is my first attempt with anubias. I don't have any rocks available but I am not sure if I would like to put one in, especially that Lulu is disabled. I am worried that someone may accidentally bump her into a rock, or she may scratch herself.

You can just plant them in the sand. Unless someone has a reason why not...but I've got three planted in sand that I've had for years. No problem. I hate that wool stuff...I find my kitchen sink sprayer helps a lot to blast away little pieces of it.

Kat, I was and am still the same way :peeka I have been keeping fish for 30+ years and never sterilized a plant or QT'd a fish before this year. But then again, I never spent more than $15-$20 on a fish. The only fish I ever QT'd was the Butterfly Tele (in my sig) because he had been treated with copper at the LFS and he still had some issues when I got him. I think I have just been lucky that nothing has ever wiped out any of my tanks, but I sometimes think that fish will be stronger if they are not kept in a completely sterile environment :peeka *

*This is just my choice and by no means the correct or right advice for everyone.

I once got worms from plants I put in my turtle tank. Not fun, very difficult to get rid of. I love inverts of all kinds but those things were nasty.

Now, I always QT plants. I just wait to see if anything springs up. After a few months, I place them in the tank. However, I've recently started treating plants with bleach or citric acid to add extra security.

Anyway, Anubias can be grown on sand or gravel, just be sure to keep the rhizome above the substrate.

Besides rocks, sand and grave, Anubias can also be grown on wood, aquarium décor and your filters intake or outtake. :D

Edited by Acro