Plants that Don't need Substrate

I love those ideas. The only similar thing I'm doing is having bamboo sticking off the top of my tank. Nothing nearly that amaaaazing :thud

What did you decide to go with Morgan'sMiracles?

Check these out chricela . . . a few more ideas . . .

I like how there is only one plant in the substrate, the rest are riparium plants, floaters and moss on a rock. riparium-5_21.jpg

Notice the riparium plants and the moss on wood.

IMG_0173-vi.jpg

And the cool thing with ripariums, is that you can grow plants that . . .

Flower!

DSCF8769.jpg

d_zps0a066b17.jpg

2-iii-09-tank-i-s1.jpg

13-iii-09-tank-i-s.jpg

4-II-13-tank-I-m.jpg

Pff, those are awesome! I just... decided to dirt my tank. I can't handle having all of my plants slooowwwlllyyy die on me. I'm also going to have 12 sticks of bamboo growing out the top.

What did you decide to go with Morgan'sMiracles?

Check these out chricela . . . a few more ideas . . .

I like how there is only one plant in the substrate, the rest are riparium plants, floaters and moss on a rock. riparium-5_21.jpg

Notice the riparium plants and the moss on wood.

IMG_0173-vi.jpg

And the cool thing with ripariums, is that you can grow plants that . . .

Flower!

DSCF8769.jpg

d_zps0a066b17.jpg

2-iii-09-tank-i-s1.jpg

13-iii-09-tank-i-s.jpg

4-II-13-tank-I-m.jpg

Pff, those are awesome! I just... decided to dirt my tank. I can't handle having all of my plants slooowwwlllyyy die on me. I'm also going to have 12 sticks of bamboo growing out the top.

I'm excited. :) Dirted tanks are awesome, and can grow just about anything! Just remember to hang in there until after you have a good dechlorinator, which will take care of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. We'll be doing big water changes, in the beginning, but since we will be working with tanks that are already stocked, we'll need to watch over the parameters carefully, for their safety. :D

I'm excited. :) Dirted tanks are awesome, and can grow just about anything! Just remember to hang in there until after you have a good dechlorinator, which will take care of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. We'll be doing big water changes, in the beginning, but since we will be working with tanks that are already stocked, we'll need to watch over the parameters carefully, for their safety. :D

I'll either be purchasing Prime this paycheck or next, I haven't decided yet. Probably next. That way I could buy Prime, Miracle Gro and Play Sand all at the same time, and Karpa would be out of QT so I could keep them together while I dirted their tank. I'm so totally excited! This will also allow for a good, easy Prazi treatment for the both of them in the smaller QT container while I care for the big tank. Constant wc will be a hassle with my not- attachable-to-sink water vac, but I think it will be worth the effort!

I'll either be purchasing Prime this paycheck or next, I haven't decided yet. Probably next. That way I could buy Prime, Miracle Gro and Play Sand all at the same time, and Karpa would be out of QT so I could keep them together while I dirted their tank. I'm so totally excited! This will also allow for a good, easy Prazi treatment for the both of them in the smaller QT container while I care for the big tank. Constant wc will be a hassle with my not- attachable-to-sink water vac, but I think it will be worth the effort!

has the tank fully completed the nitrogen cycle already? If it has, it is likely that you'll only need to do extra w/c's for the first week or two.

Try practicing in small things, before you go big. Remember, you don't want to make a tank-sized mistake, as those can be costly. Practice with pots, and find out what works for you. Also, when working with dirt, make it wet like a mud pie. You should be able to shape it with your hands, but it should not be watery. Working with dry dirt may be a little neater, but as soon as you wet it, it compacts down to half the size.

We'll go through all of this again, when you're ready. :):thumbs:

has the tank fully completed the nitrogen cycle already? If it has, it is likely that you'll only need to do extra w/c's for the first week or two.

Try practicing in small things, before you go big. Remember, you don't want to make a tank-sized mistake, as those can be costly. Practice with pots, and find out what works for you. Also, when working with dirt, make it wet like a mud pie. You should be able to shape it with your hands, but it should not be watery. Working with dry dirt may be a little neater, but as soon as you wet it, it compacts down to half the size.

It's already fully cycled, thankfully! I would hate to bump a cycle by adding ammonia rich dirt!

I wanted to show you, I'm buying this plant package http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Live-Aquarium-Plants-20-kinds-Swords-Crypts-Java-Fern-Hygrophila-more-/281349104442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4181b6a33a It's a great deal, and this way, the plants will be done with QT in time for the dirting of the tank. I decided to buy Mracle Gro, Sand, and Prime next paycheck. Practice run will be on my 10g. :Dancing:

These are so beautiful. I'm going to see what I can come up with while keeping a bare bottom :fishtank It will be fun, as long as Felix doesn't eat everything too quickly!

It's already fully cycled, thankfully! I would hate to bump a cycle by adding ammonia rich dirt!

I wanted to show you, I'm buying this plant package http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Live-Aquarium-Plants-20-kinds-Swords-Crypts-Java-Fern-Hygrophila-more-/281349104442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4181b6a33a It's a great deal, and this way, the plants will be done with QT in time for the dirting of the tank. I decided to buy Mracle Gro, Sand, and Prime next paycheck. Practice run will be on my 10g. :Dancing:

You may need a thin layer of gravel between the soil and the sand, so that the sand doesn't just mix with the sand. You may want to practice in something small, just to see.

It could even be a glass cup, or a bowl. You just want to get your technique down, and be sure that the sand isn't just going to sink down into the dirt, before trying this on a big tank. You know?

It could even be a glass cup, or a bowl. You just want to get your technique down, and be sure that the sand isn't just going to sink down into the dirt, before trying this on a big tank. You know?

Oh believe me, I know! My older brother has tried out all different sorts of sand and dirt like substances. He never could get it right, and at least two times he ruined fish tanks- cracking them- in trying to remove the mess of un-useable sand! I definitely agree that practice and not ruining my tank makes perfect. :blush:

Home Depot or Lowes will have pea gravel, and you only need a little! You sprinkle it very lightly (one or two thin layers, over your tank-sized mud pie), and then your sand cap will sit much nicer. Remember that your cap will need to be at least as deep as your mud layer, but I tend to do a half inch deeper. I don't want the mud making its way to the surface! :o

Home Depot or Lowes will have pea gravel, and you only need a little! You sprinkle it very lightly (one or two thin layers, over your tank-sized mud pie), and then your sand cap will sit much nicer. Remember that your cap will need to be at least as deep as your mud layer, but I tend to do a half inch deeper. I don't want the mud making its way to the surface! :o

Is there any specific brand of pea gravel that you recommend? (i have like, 12 tabs open for researching right now... :P)

Hahahaha! No, no specific type. It's going to be well under your cap, so you won't see it. It should just be chunky, round, rocks. This is a really old picture of my tank, back when I had gravel, but this is the gravel that I'm using now, as caps for the potted plants in my tank. :)

1150261_10151754278453711_591452277_n.jp

Hahahaha! No, no specific type. It's going to be well under your cap, so you won't see it. It should just be chunky, round, rocks. This is a really old picture of my tank, back when I had gravel, but this is the gravel that I'm using now, as caps for the potted plants in my tank. :)

1150261_10151754278453711_591452277_n.jp

Oh, your tank is so pretty, even then! So basically, any (pea) gravel I want in there?

edit: Rock City Pea Gravel

This is the one I am currently planning on getting.

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

Just be sure you rinse, rinse, rinse the sand! [emoji1] I've heard the play sand is quite dirty, but once rinsed, it's great for aquariums.

Do you have an outdoor hose you could hook a water changer up to? That's what I am doing in my new condo, because I don't have any sinks that work with it either. The hose hookup works great, and is the perfect distance for the 25 ft Python. I did water changes with buckets for years and was resistant to getting a Python; for some reason I didn't think it could possibly be that much better. But it is, and it's much less messy too! My mom is living with me right now - she's a neat freak, and I am not. If I were using buckets, there would be so much water on the floor that I would come home from work to find the tank broken outside ... [emoji38]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*

Just be sure you rinse, rinse, rinse the sand! [emoji1] I've heard the play sand is quite dirty, but once rinsed, it's great for aquariums.

Do you have an outdoor hose you could hook a water changer up to? That's what I am doing in my new condo, because I don't have any sinks that work with it either. The hose hookup works great, and is the perfect distance for the 25 ft Python. I did water changes with buckets for years and was resistant to getting a Python; for some reason I didn't think it could possibly be that much better. But it is, and it's much less messy too! My mom is living with me right now - she's a neat freak, and I am not. If I were using buckets, there would be so much water on the floor that I would come home from work to find the tank broken outside ... [emoji38]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We do have a hose outside, but my room and tank are on the second level... XD I want to buy a python so bad, but for now, I am stuck with buckets.