Sign in to follow this  
Kittycat

Concerned about my fish

Do you want her to use Epsom at all, Alex? :idont

If you like, but I can't decide if it's 100% necessary or not.

I'd just like to pop in and add that you can definitely see scale raising on pearlscales just like any other fish. And that in the beginning of dropsy you will not always have blisters (both Ushi and Roos never had blistering when they were prickly). You want to look for raising scales on the curve of the tummy and the peduncle as this is where it's easiest to see raised scales. While you're treating her Id suggest making the water depth 6-7in to ease the pressure on the swim bladder. I really like using cement mixing tubs as QT tubs because they have good dimensions, are cheap and come in a few sizes (typically 10 and 20 gals).

Today she is looking about the same. The blisters are mainly on one side of her, with one large and two small, along with prickly looking scales by her tail. She has still been sucking up the food that I give her into her mouth, but I've been noticing her spitting some of it out after a while. I think she may be ingesting some of it, but definitely not a lot of it.

I would like for you to go with our modified directions if possible, which is to dose in meds every 2 days following a 100% WC, but add 2x Prime daily. :)

When the Metro meds come, is there anything different that I should do? :)

I'd just like to pop in and add that you can definitely see scale raising on pearlscales just like any other fish. And that in the beginning of dropsy you will not always have blisters (both Ushi and Roos never had blistering when they were prickly). You want to look for raising scales on the curve of the tummy and the peduncle as this is where it's easiest to see raised scales. While you're treating her Id suggest making the water depth 6-7in to ease the pressure on the swim bladder. I really like using cement mixing tubs as QT tubs because they have good dimensions, are cheap and come in a few sizes (typically 10 and 20 gals).

I can definitely see raised scales in those areas. She's in a ten gallon quarantine tank right now, but I will remember that about the water level :)

Do you want her to use Epsom at all, Alex? :idont

I have some Epsom salt on hand, if I need to use it.

When the Metro-Meds arrive, we remove all traces of the other meds, and begin feeding 1% of her bodyweight in the meds daily, along with frequent WCs. We'll help when that time comes as well.

Yes, I agree that you can certainly see the scale raise, but it can be harder to see, whereas the blister bubbles always seems to be accompanying the symptoms as well. :(

I cleaned the tank this morning and dosed the meds again. When I checked on her a while ago, she had died some time this afternoon. :cry I'm going to bury her by the rosebush where I've buried her friend Baby Fish and her daughter Peaches. :(

Thank you everyone for your help throughout this. :)

Edited by Kittycat

I'm sorry. :hug

Sorry for you loss Kittycat :hug

I am so very sorry. :(

I'm sorry for your loss. :(:k055:

I'm so sorry. :(

I'm so very sorry for your loss Kittycat. These pearlies are little heartbreakers.

Very sorry for your loss :(

So sorry to hear this. I was really rooting for her.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*