Rena filter for my pond?

Hidr

Do you think I cauld use a rena canister filter for my tiny pond? The pond is on the deck so I could put the filter under the deck. I don't see how rain can hurt it any. But what about heat?

I am also going to get a tarp so the pond well get less direct sun. I am also thinking of some gravel for the plants instead of pots. The pots have soil in them and I think that may of been what was causing some of brown water. I know this cause I put my lilies in a tub next to the deck so they would still be outside and when I did the water had been clear in that tub for weeks but now it is yucky.

Maybe it is time to turn this thing into a water bowl for the outside dogs. lol

Edited by Hidr

I dont have that type of filter so I couldnt say yes or no confidently but I will just go ahead and say I dont see why you couldn't. I guess I would check the instruction manual to see what it says about water temperatures, but I dont think water temperature would be a problem. I also dont think it will get too hot if it is under the deck. In regards to the plants... I like to put my pond plants in pots that are filled with gravel. Then I take my drill and drill dozens of holes in the pots so the roots can grow out of them into the water, and so water can get into the pot.

Edited by DieselPlower

I think that a DIY filter would work just as well, without the concern that water would get into the electrical workings of a filter specifically made for use indoors. I would not use an indoor filter outside, for fear of breaking the filter. Canisters are expensive. A DIY would cost you a maximum of 50 bucks, be tailored for working outdoors, and be completely customizable.

You might consider a small waterfall filter like this one. Generally pressurized filters (including those designed for a pond) quickly become high-maintenance because of clogging. Since a canister filter is not designed for a pond I would expect it to be even worse.

But really isn't a tiny container pond nithing more than a fish tank that's outside?

Being outside means more dirt/algae/bugs/etc. in the water. Fill two buckets with water. Leave one outside and one indoors and you'll see which gets dirtier more quickly.

Edited by ChelseaM

What Chelsea said. Ponds are way dirtier than aquariums. The chemical quality of the water may be better in a pond, but there is always debris. After all, you track dirt into the house from outdoors, not the other way around.

The Rena filters are now API Filstars. I actually just bought the XP-L model, and I really like it so far. Thank you Chelsea, for recommending it!

I can totally relate about not being a DIY person. I wasn't raised in a DIY family - I remember my dad would pick up the phone and call an expert at the first hint of a problem! He wouldn't even bother looking it up to see if he could fix it. I am getting better at this and have had some success (like fixing my broken center brace this weekend with a $1.19 aluminum strip ... the cost benefit to DIY is awesome), but still prefer my equipment to be ready-made and as foolproof as possible. Canister filters kind of freaked me out initially, but I have to say I love the Filstar. The best part is that it's EASY to open up - both hoses are on one attachment, and the filter self-primes. I don't have a pond so can't speak to that, but it is a solid, user-friendly filter.

Ok so if I'm cleaning my HOB's once every few months then the canister outside would be needing a cleaning once a month or so? Or what?

My pond filter gets cleaned once a week, otherwise it gets clogged with brown algae and dirt from my lotus pot. I have two piggy-fish who love rolling around in the dirt and creating clouds that get sucked up into my filter. The microfilter padding is absolutely filthy and gets hosed out every week, and the biomedia always seems to need swishing.

I think things would be a little easier if I had matala. :thud

I have three of the API (rena) filters and a fourth one on the way to replace my last HOB that started making to much noise. I love them.

Ok so going to use the pump I have now and the box for media but going to buy some sponges and ceramic rings to go in it. Going to rig up more shade and take the soil out of the pots and replace with gravel. Then get her up and going again.

Maybe this weekend.

I clean my pond filters maybe once every three months. Some people use a weekly flush of the filter to do a water change. If you do that with an upflow biofilter it will probably never need cleaning, but it might be a good idea to clean it once a year, particularly if it is turned off for the winter..

If you put microfilter material in an upflow biofilter regular media cleaning is necessary or the filter will overflow. Fines filtration is best done in a basket or flowerpot under the outflow of the biofilter.

My husband and I are not DIY people.

I'm really not either, at all! But a DIY filter is not a difficult project for me at all, since the most complicated part, the pump, is already assembled for me. After that, the filter is just a tube running into a little PVC swirler stuck in a bucket with a hole in it and a tube stuck in the hole.