plant weights

Kat_M

Hi guys :hi

Quick question: are those lead/aluminium plant weights safe to use in aquarium?

I'm interested to see what people have to say about this.

I thought they were, and I bought some from ebay, put them in my tank when we moved house, added the snails back into the tank (nerites, MTS, pond snails) and they all died. Nothing else was new in the tank, and the water hadn't been an issue when they were in the tank I moved them in. So my only explanation could be the weights.

My fish were fine though, but I took the weights out anyway. So I guess if you don't have snails, they should be fine? Maybe the ones I bought contained something they shouldn't, I'm not sure.

I wouldn't use lead ones. The do, however, make plastic ones. :)

Oh, I am going to look for them then!

What are you trying to keep weighed down, Kat?

Plants, Dan. I buy cut plants and I have a trouble to keep them down in baby Lucky's tank as its bare bottom.

Plants, Dan. I buy cut plants and I have a trouble to keep them down in baby Lucky's tank as its bare bottom.

I was more interested what plants you wanted to weigh down. If you keep replanting stems they'll learn to root down eventually. :rofl

Because of the way hair grass grows and establishes a root system, I wouldn't bother weighing it down. Just keep replanting. Elodea does well floating. :)

Is just like to add that I've used metal sinkers (unsure if they're lead) more than a couple times and they never bother my snails. I typically just leave them in for a few days so the plants can root and then remove them.

I'm thinking maybe mine were dodgy? :idont there was absolutely nothing else new in the tank that could've killed all of my snails