Sign in to follow this  
goldielover84

gel food and multivitamins

I made gel food today for my fish with a multivitamin added into it. Didn't realize until after I finished it that there is iron in the multivitamin. Is iron harmful for the fish? I've googled it and looked in the forum, but am unable to find info on it. The reason I'm concerned is all the gel food recipes I've looked at that use a multivitamin say "no iron". Just looking for more information here but, if iron is harmful what are the reasons? I was unable to find anything on google about it. thanks :)

So, iron isn't necessarily bad for fish (meats, including the fish that we often add to gel food for protein contain iron naturally), but iron could potentially be harmful in high doses, just as it can be in humans. This is where the concern comes in and why a multivitamin without iron is recommended.

If it is a multivitamin with a normal amount of iron (not added extra iron, some vitamins are made specifically with extra iron and will usually note this somewhere on the package), and assuming it was one vitamin for a large amount of gel food, it is probably fine. Most recipes call for one vitamin in an amount of gel food that will make enough gel food to feed a single fish for a month or two, so the amount of iron is minimal across feedings when it comes down to it.

If you're making gel food, you may also want to look into repashy soilent green. It's a powdered gel food that already contains a nice base of vitamins etc., you just add water and heat. :)

Thanks tithra! I added two multivitamins to a large batch that should last my two goldies about 3-4 months (I always freeze bag it and open once I'm done with a small batch). Do you think that might be too much? They don't have extra iron, just the norm for a multivitamin (I'm assuming).

I am interested in soilent green but when I looked on amazon I wasn't sure exactly which kind I need, I think I remember seeing 2 or more types, unless I was looking up the wrong thing. Anyhow, I know tasty worms carries it right? Which one is the best type to get? Thanks again for your reply ;)

That sounds fine :)

Soilent green and super green are the two repashys most often used for goldfish. Soilent green has meat based protein in it while super green is totally veggie. I'd go with soilent green if it's going to be your staple food, personally, especially if your fish are still young and growing.

If you're worried about iron get a multivitamin for men or just a general one. I think women's vitamins generally have more iron.

If you're worried about iron get a multivitamin for men or just a general one. I think women's vitamins generally have more iron.

We also always recommend getting a generic multivitamin, and not one targeting any specific group (men, women, 50+, etc)

The vitamin company I work for makes two versions of the otherwise same product - one with iron and one without iron. If you are concerned about iron, you could buy a multivitamin product without iron.

In addition, if you are in the U.S., I would recommend buying a product with a SKU labeled for sale in California. The reason for this is that CA is the only state that requires limits on the heavy metals arsenic, cadmium, mercury and lead for dietary supplements. Why the other states do not, I have no idea, although the USP has proposed new limits (not as stringent as CA's, but at least it's something) that will likely be adopted in the near future. Many companies sell two separate SKUs for products with lots of ingredients (which are likely to contain higher heavy metals due to additive effect) - one for CA, and one for the other 49 states. If the manufacturer has good quality control and is testing the raw materials on the front end, neither should be too high, but unfortunately there are still a lot of supplement companies that do not test, though they are being weeded out or forced to comply as the FDA takes a more firm stance.

Also watch out for products with this warning label: "this product contains an ingredient known to the state of CA to cause reproductive harm." Some manufacturers are slapping this label on products to avoid having to source raw materials that are low in heavy metals. Unfortunately, they are not required to disclose what the "ingredient" is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*