Sign in to follow this  
Remdant

New Goldfish Inactive?

I thought she can't have a tankmate?

Only if you have a larger tank. I am not sure that Sharon was suggesting getting one, just what she has observed regarding behavior and when she saw a change.

So she will never swim in the water column rather than on the bottom and against the bottom portion of the glass? I can't see her when she's down there unless I'm standing next to the tank.... /:

How much should I be feeding her?

I believe she will, but not until the water is under control so that she can become comfortable in the tank, like Alex said.

Keep it at what you have right now until the ammonia and nitrites are zero for a minimum of a week straight. Make sure to keep checking your Nitrates as well to keep them under 20ppm. By the end, I bet you will only have to change the water once a week like the rest of us.

Then, increase the feeding by a couple pellets at a time over the coming week, making sure to test to make sure the cycle can handle it. Since we don't know your fish's weight, I am not sure how much the fish will need to be fed in the end. Do you have access to a kitchen scale to weigh the fish with?

Edited by ChelseaM

No, I don't. This is day 2 of 0s. Do I still keep doing water changes every other day?

Does she look healthy?

You don't need to change the water every other day, but make sure to test it every day and record it. (It would be good to post them here, too, so that we can all keep track of your cycle at once.)

How to tell if you need to change the water:

• If the combined ammonia and nitrite readings are equal to or greater than 1, bring them back down to zero with a large water change.
  • If the Nitrates are greater than 20ppm, do a water change to bring them back down to zero.

Like Alex said, dose with prime every day to keep any negligible parameters in check.

Is there a way you could buy a scale that weighs in grams? (I use this one, which I got for a cheaper price at my local grocery store. It is a tough little scale.) They are very cheap, usually around $20. Scales are useful for a lot more than when the fish are sick, so it isn't just a one-time-use.

Edited by ChelseaM

We just can't afford a scale right now, even for such a low price. I'm actually trying to fund-raise for my rabbit's spay right now. We just got told we can no longer live here after being told we don't have to move so we are in a bad position and with a 3 month old, she comes before all else. I just did a water change so I'll start taking daily readings tomorrow afternoon.

It's possible that the actions you're seeing are also in part because she's a new fish and the home is entirely different. They're more interactive than the typical aquarium fish (in my opinion) and things may calm down with her once she's adjusted to things and/or you're possible able to upgrade.

Edited by Chai

Just wanted to say that I'm sorry you are going through so much right now and your fish is a cutie, I hope everything turns out all right, for him & you!icon_smiley_Hugs.gif

Because she is so small,I'm wondering if the current caused by your filter is making it hard for her to swim in the middle. You may want to consider raising the water level. This should reduce fast moving water. Just a thought.

I keep the water level as high as I can but it's always at least over the return. Should I add a water bottle baffle or put some filter floss in the intake basket?

I have noticed it looks like she's struggling a bit but I was worried about restricting her filter that already isn't big enough.

I put a water bottle baffle on and all of the flow is now being directed behind the filter on the side of the tank. There is very little agitation in the tank now.

How long could I keep her and a second goldfish in the tank before they needed to be upgraded?

To get another fish, you would have to immediately upgrade, in my opinion. 20 gallons per fish is a good guideline to go by, especially when the tank isn't cycled and you are still starting out keeping them.

Your tank is not only underfiltered, but only holds 20 gallons of water. This space is large enough to house one goldfish and is not even filtered enough to house the one fish that is in it. Goldfish are extremely messy fish and this is why the combined knowledge of the forum has come to this conclusion.

Here is an example from my own experience:
This is why I wouldn't keep a goldfish in 10 gallons of space per fish. Clementine was around a year old when I took this video. At the time I got her, I first joined Koko's and was learning how to care for her properly. With proper care, she grew to five times her original size in about one year. I wanted to show the difference a year with the right care could make, so I took the video of her in her old tank while I was in the process of cleaning the second upgrade I had to make for her in the year that I'd had her. Within her first year, she lived in a 10 gallon tank for 3 months. This is how long it took for her to outgrow it with proper care. She then was moved to a 40 gallon breeder tank, and could have spent her whole life there had I not gotten her 2 friends. I almost regret getting more fish, since the 40 gallon breeder tank is the absolute perfect tank, in my opinion. The three fish moved to a 55 gallon tank, and pretty soon Clementine couldn't comfortably turn around in it anymore. (Which is why I don't like 55 gallon tanks. They're too skinny.) By the middle of year 2, she lived in a 70 gallon stock tank system on the floor of my living room. When she passed away in March of this year from an unknown infection, she had reached 5+ inches in body length and total length of 7+ inches. She would have been with me 2 full years in July.

I would like to note that not many people upgrade this much for their fish. Had I stopped buying more goldfish, I would have been able to keep her in the 40 gallon breeder for the duration of her life. But goldfish are like potato chips, so just one or two is a difficult thing. Right now, I have 5 goldfish enjoying an outdoor plywood and glass "pond." I guess you could call me addicted. :rofl

Edited by ChelseaM

I think we are finally realizing the current is gone. Although, her reaction to this is to find the current and swim against it. :doh11: Dear Castor, please, please, make mommies life simple! An infant and a young bunny are enough! You're a fish! You aren't supposed to be stressful!!

Fish can unfortunately be as stressful as other pets when things aren't going too great. It'll get better, just keep your head up and don't over-analyze everything. If you look for things going wrong, you'll almost always find them.... So don't! :rofl

Fish actually like playing in the current of filters. Mine all have and all do, as well as liking to play in the current my aeration system makes. I think it is a remnant of the Carp genes, because carp lived in rivers and swam in those currents.

I agree whole-heartedly with Cat. Fish aren't the 'easy' pet that everyone makes them out to be, and therefore can be just as stressful as your furry pets. Over-analyzing makes things even more stressful. :(

Edited by ChelseaM

Fish actually like playing in the current of filters. Mine all have and all do, as well as liking to play in the current my aeration system makes. I think it is a remnant of the Carp genes, because carp lived in rivers and swam in those currents.

I agree whole-heartedly with Cat. Fish aren't the 'easy' pet that everyone makes them out to be, and therefore can be just as stressful as your furry pets. Over-analyzing makes things even more stressful. :(

I was going to ask about this very thing! I have 4 of these in the back of Gumdrop's 40B http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=13&catId=1

attached to a pump for a 60 gallon, and Gumdrop loves to swim up and down in each of them! I thought he was weird/odd but, when I got Peach Blossom, he loves to swim in the air stone's flow too! :heart Good to know my boys aren't just little odd balls! :lol2

Edited by TikiLola