Sign in to follow this  
Remdant

New Goldfish Inactive?

I had a three goldfish in my 20 gallon tank and they all started dying, one by one about a week after I got them. I now have a panda telescope eye goldfish and an ivory mystery snail in there. Emperor Kim Cho III is super inactive and isn't eating all of his food. What can I do to make him more active and eat more? He leaves most of his food on the bottom of the tank.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 10ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 15ppm

* Nitrate level(Tank) 40ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2, 16, 14, idk

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2, 16, 14, idk

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Liquid Master Test Kit

* Water temperature? 68-75F

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20, 2 weeks

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetra 5-15 Power Filter

* How often do you change the water and how much? When the water gets dirty, all of it.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? When the fish died about three days ago and all of it.

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish quarter-sized body and one silver dollar-sized mystery snail.

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead two or three times a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? Emperor Kim Cho III and Diver Dan

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. N/A

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? He has a rip in his tail

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He's staying at the bottom and not eating all his food.

I'm not a mod, but one will be along shortly :) what I will say is that your tank isn't cycled, and doing water changes "when the water gets dirty" may be why all your fish died, and why this one is lethargic - you need to do more frequent water changes, especially with ammonia and nitrite levels. A mod will be along shortly to help you out :)

How much food are you giving in each feeding? The amount ammonia and nitrite in the tank will kill your fish if you don't get rid of it. The ammonia and nitrite readings should be zero. The fact that you have nitrate indicates both that your tank is in the process of cycling and that you are feeding too much.

Please change all of the water. Your fish will probably improve right away. Then you must check ammonia and nitrite every day and do large partial water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite to levels your fish can handle.

So please do this:

Change all of the water right away. Use twice the standard amount of Prime.

Check the parameters right after the water change and do it again this evening. Report the results in this thread. We will tell you if you need to change some water.

Do not offer the fish any more food today. Excess food results in excess ammonia.

Test the water again in the morning and report the results here. We will make further suggestions then.

Edited by shakaho

Okay, I'll change the water. I feed him about 20 pellets a feeding. I was told they don't have stomachs and I had to give him a lot to keep it in his system. I added Tetra Safe Start when I added the first three fish, why isn't my tank cycled?

Oh and I'm moving this weekend, will the change in water hurt them? I'm going to transport them in 3 liter soda bottles.

Okay, I'll change the water. I feed him about 20 pellets a feeding. That sounds like too much per feeding to me. I would cut that in half or even in 1/4 for now. I was told they don't have stomachs and I had to give him a lot to keep it in his system. That is incorrect information. Instead of a lot of food at once, you should be feeding a little amount of food multiple times per day. I added Tetra Safe Start when I added the first three fish, why isn't my tank cycled? TSS won't cycle your tank for you. Cycling a tank takes time. Please read this to learn about the cycling process.

Oh and I'm moving this weekend, will the change in water hurt them? I'm going to transport them in 3 liter soda bottles. Have you got the ability to test your water parameters in the new house before you move?

The API test kit measures ammonia to 8 and nitrite to 5. How did you determine those were 10 and 15, respectively? :idont

Good luck with your tank.

I must have mis-read the test. I changed all the water and everything is currently reading 0 so I don't have the ability to re-test. Sorry, guys. I don't know how I got those numbers in my head but none of them were zero I can tell you that.

I can probably test the water in the new place later this week, actually. If I remember while I'm there cleaninig.

Edited by Remdant

Ok. Will you please test ammonia and nitrite again in 24 hours and let us know what the results are? :)

How are you going to get your fish/snail through the hole in the soda bottle? You will just hurt them putting them in a soda bottle. Also, it may have residue of soda. Just get a bucket that is brand new and put them in there.

Edited by Mikey

Is your kH 16ppm or 16 drops? Is your gH 14ppm or 14 drops?

Hi Remdant, and welcome to Koko's! You have come to the right place.

Since your tank is still cycling and you have pets in it, it will be important for you to do very frequent water changes and test the water daily to ensure your ammonia and nitrite stay down.

I noticed that the filter you are using provides only about half of the filtration that is recommended for goldfish. This isn't something that needs to be fixed now, but once your cycle is under control we suggest getting a filter that pumps at least 200 gallons per hour (GPH). Also, are you using the cartridges? If so, a much better (and cheaper) way is to use foam and ceramic rings for filtration. The problem with the cartridges is that when you change them out, you are throwing out nearly all the beneficial bacteria you accumulated during cycling. When foam is used, you can simply rinse it in tank water (not tap water as it will kill the bacteria), and when it gets too dirty, change it out and you will still have plenty of bacteria because the ceramic rings will remain in the filter.

Hang in there - I know it's frustrating, but I started out in your shoes not too long ago and have since learned a lot ... and my fish are much happier as a result! I remember being very upset when I realized that so much of what they had advised me to do at the pet store was misguided. You are doing the right thing by seeking out information, and most if not all of us have been there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sorry it's been so long, everyone. Things have been hectic here and we weren't able to move so we are unpacking.

Mikey, it's drops, not ppm.

Amanda, My filter does have the cartridge, the sponge insert you don't replace and I have also shoved two plastic pot scrubbers in the filter this week as well for more benificial bacteria accumulation.

How are your fish doing?

He turned out to be a she and she is still kind strange. She glass surfs and swims in one spot near the bottom a lot. She is doing better eating and gets 4-6 pellets a day. Her snail friend died and the two baby fish that were in there temporarily have found a new home. I also removed her gravel (best I could, at least) and added a handfull of glass beads and a glass vase with some beads as well. I dose Prime daily and have been doing water changes every other day. I just wish she would be more active especially around the middle of the tank.

Glass-surfs? What is glass-surfing?

She's being underfed in my opinion and I think that may be one of the factors as to why she is bottom sitting. How big is she? Do you know how much she weighs?

She's being underfed in my opinion and I think that may be one of the factors as to why she is bottom sitting. How big is she? Do you know how much she weighs?

She is being fed less on request because of high parameters in the tank. Until that is sorted, it's safer to underfeed. The 'glass-surfing' plus sitting is what concerns me.

She is being fed less on request because of high parameters in the tank. Until that is sorted, it's safer to underfeed. The 'glass-surfing' plus sitting is what concerns me.
It's a term commonly used on other fish forums.

"Why is Betta restlessly swimming up and down the sides of the tank? This is called glass surfing and its usually a sign that a fish in unhappy in its environment. It could be because of poor water conditions, or it could be because the tank is too small."

The fish isn't just following you but is RESTLESSLY swimming against the side of the walls. A good visual/mental example of a fish doing this would be if you were to put a full-grown comet or a common in a 10g tank, it would swim side to side frantically because it would be too small.

Edited by Chai

What are the parameters of the tank, please?

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

I may have fixed a lot taking the gravel out it was disgusting

Oh and her body is about 1.5-2" long. With fins about 2-2.5". Would a video help?

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

I may have fixed a lot taking the gravel out it was disgusting

I think so. :)

Try to keep ammonia + nitrite with a combined total of less than 1ppm, and use Prime or some other agent to detoxify daily until your cycle is in order. I suspect that the glass surfing is due largely in part to the parameters being so out of whack. Now that you are getting things under control, that should change.

This is her tank and the extent of her activity -

This is more typical behavior -

I don't see anything wrong with her behavior. Nibbling algae (or trying to find some to nibble on) is one reason goldfish one reason goldfish would be nosing the side of the tank. Some fish do this when they are the only fish in the tank. I think they are trying to socialize with their reflections. I've seen a fish completely stop this action when getting a tankmate.