Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

Going away for 8 days

Lucky. All those big tanks!

Helen, we are talking about the topic at hand. It was suggested that the OP feed the fish for those two days before she leaves, and the debate fell to how much is too much and why. I think the point was gotten across, though, so maybe we need to focus on other suggestions.

Ya know what if Shakaho and ChelseaM agree on something it is probably a pretty good idea. It is not uncommon for me to do things differently :)

I also have 2 empty 75's in my basement. You can have the one with the brown trim and no stand if you have a use...? Outside pond with viewing windows on all sides hahaha...

I also have 2 empty 75's in my basement. You can have the one with the brown trim and no stand if you have a use...? Outside pond with viewing windows on all sides hahaha...

If I had a use for it I would definitely take it. :rofl My family would kill me though... I already have a 55g stock tank, a laguna 127g tub, a 55g glass tank, and a 25g acrylic tank taking up storage space in the shed... plus the 300g glass door pond outside. :alex I am a hoarder.

//apologizing for derailing the thread.

Is there anything else that anyone can think of to suggest for MGML to do before she leaves?

Edited by ChelseaM

Anacharis/elodea is something your goldfish will love to eat, so leave them with a bunch of it. However the little piggies won't save any for later. I suggest you also add some hornwort. This is not something goldfish love, but mine will eat if if they are really hungry. I can tell that I should feed more when I see leaves eaten off the hornwort.

OMG DP! A large handful a day for 25 fish? I feed that many fish one tablespoon of food a day, and they are fat. I think my fish are larger than yours, and for sure my water temperatures are higher, and thus their metabolic rate is higher. A goldfish can only take a mouthful of food before it has to stop and chew, but I've yet to see one fail to come back for more food once the last mouthful was swallowed. Yours are remarkable. Perhaps you are establishing a new breed of goldfish -- "satiable goldfish." :D

I should have worded better... My hand is large and I throw a handfull. I wouldnt say it's a large large handfull :) im trying to grow them big! The food is gone within minutes. Sometimes I throw in a little more hehehe

Edited by DieselPlower

Ya know what if Shakaho and ChelseaM agree on something it is probably a pretty good idea.

Now wait a minute. Chelsea and I agree on almost everything. It's just that discussions on that little bit between all and almost all can get lengthy.

Ya know what if Shakaho and ChelseaM agree on something it is probably a pretty good idea.

Now wait a minute. Chelsea and I agree on almost everything. It's just that discussions on that little bit between all and almost all can get lengthy.

She has a point. :teehee I like learning from Sharon. Our discussions are like yours and mine, Jason.

Thanks for the advice guys!

i'm not getting into the feeding thing.. there's much info/debating going on..

i am curious though, since you will be gone 8 days. how long does a battery operated airpump/filter last for? if it lasts 8 days, i am interested to get one for my tank. could you link me to the product? thanks :)

I think it lasts for like 3 days??? I'm not sure. If I come back and it's not dead I'll let you know for sure!

Anacharis/elodea is something your goldfish will love to eat, so leave them with a bunch of it. However the little piggies won't save any for later. I suggest you also add some hornwort. This is not something goldfish love, but mine will eat if if they are really hungry. I can tell that I should feed more when I see leaves eaten off the hornwort.

So.... I have 0 experience with plants and I leave in 2 days so if I just buy some and throw them in there, what if my fish don't approach them or the plant dies? Will it cause more ammonia?

Disinfect the plants by dipping for 2 minutes in a solution of bleach diluted one part bleach to 19 parts water. Then rinse them well, including Prime in the last rinse to remove the chlorine. Leave them in clean water until you are ready to leave, then put them in the tank. You don't want the plants eaten while you are still home.

If the fish don't eat them (highly unlikely), the plants will grow, to the benefit of your water quality. Dead plants are easier for goldfish to eat than live ones, and rotting plants even easier. (Yum) Plants are not very high in nitrogen, so will not release that much ammonia.

I've left my fish for a week unattended on several occasions. My routine is to do a 50% water change two days before followed by another 50% change the night before I leave. I give them a feed before I go and add my plants usually large bunches of elodea floating. Plants don't cause more ammonia in the tank only when they are rotting and decaying in the tank and this also alters your pH. As long as you have a well established filtration system that's cycling the tank water several times an hour and your fish are in generally good health and you've kept to the stocking guidelines, they should be fine :)

Just do a big water change when you get back. This is probably the most important part.

i am curious though, since you will be gone 8 days. how long does a battery operated airpump/filter last for? if it lasts 8 days, i am interested to get one for my tank. could you link me to the product? thanks :)

Hi Helen

Regarding the battery air pump. They are good in emergencies! I have a few of them and they run off D sized batteries. I know they last at least 4 days as that's how long I had no power for without any battery change with some good alkaline batteries. They do get quite noisy but are relatively inexpensive. Here's a link to what I have:

http://www.aquariumnet.com.au/38/list.asp?id=6072&meid=38

You can also get these air pumps which run off electricity and continue running when the power shuts off as they have some sort of rechargeable battery in them. Haven't got any experience with it but it on my wish list ;)

http://aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3609&catID=8

Thanks for the advice guys!

I think it lasts for like 3 days??? I'm not sure. If I come back and it's not dead I'll let you know for sure!

So.... I have 0 experience with plants and I leave in 2 days so if I just buy some and throw them in there, what if my fish don't approach them or the plant dies? Will it cause more ammonia?
If your goldfish have never been exposed to plants, it's possible they may not eat them. However, I think there's a stronger possibility they will, especially because they'll be hungry. I leave anacharis in my tanks all the time though, and my fish never touch it. I've had the same 5 or so plants floating in there for many months. I don't think they realize it's food, and I'm not sure why. This has been true across the board for all fish I've had, with the exception of one who I purchased from a tank with anacharis - and she doesn't even eat it; just nips at it on occasion but leaves it intact.

I would be very surprised if the plants died - I don't do a thing for the anacharis in my tanks, and it is alive and well. It's an extremely hardy plant.

Edited by *Amanda*

MyG, for an absence of 8 days just chuck the disinfected plants in the tank and turn off the light. This will not be long enough for the plants to die for lack of light alone. The plants are really just an emergency source of food, should the fish become ravenous. At 8 days, I really don't think the water quality will go seriously out of whack. There are two issues to keep in mind 1. water quality and 2. hunger.

Do you measure high ammonia at the time of your ordinary water changes? If you do, then maybe it is better to error on the side of no feeding/no plants. If your normal parameters are fine at water change time (test today), than give them a plant (just float it) to reduce the chances of hunger or opportunistic nibbling on one another.

Well i was going to do a post about leaving my fish, so ill just hijack this one :P.. am going away for 2 nights, will be doing a water change before i go. So i was going to ask if they would be ok for them 2 days without food or buy one of them weekend sticks, only thing about the sticks is that iv seen mixed reviews about them. thanks

For two days I would do nothing.

Yes, your fish will be fine. Some people regularly fast their fish one day a week. With clean water they will stay perfectly healthy, and they REALLY will be glad to see you return.

Well i was going to do a post about leaving my fish, so ill just hijack this one :P.. am going away for 2 nights, will be doing a water change before i go. So i was going to ask if they would be ok for them 2 days without food or buy one of them weekend sticks, only thing about the sticks is that iv seen mixed reviews about them. thanks

I just wanted to point out that any 'weekend' or 'multi-day' food is not only not good for your fish, but not good for your tank.

Goldfish will eat those until they are gone, so they provide nothing like what you want them to.

Also, they just slowly melt in the tank, creating one heck of a mess and wreaking havoc on your water quality. I have known people whose goldfish have died because they used a weekend feeder and it turned the water toxic from ammonia.

They should never be a choice for feeding any fish, let alone something as insatiable as a goldfish.

Somewhat off topic, but important. It's not hard for a skilled hacker to locate you. There are burglars who make use of the internet to identify empty homes. Mainly they use social media, where people are happily describing the fun they are having on their vacation trips.

It's fine to say you are planning a trip and to ask about goldfish care. Just don't give dates.

Somewhat off topic, but important. It's not hard for a skilled hacker to locate you. There are burglars who make use of the internet to identify empty homes. Mainly they use social media, where people are happily describing the fun they are having on their vacation trips.

It's fine to say you are planning a trip and to ask about goldfish care. Just don't give dates.

Excellent tip! I also ask my neighbors to keep an eye on the place if I go out of town.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wow so feeding twice will create more ammonia etc than feeding 10 times? That makes no sense sorry.

I think the concerns that Chelsea and others may have (and here I am guessing only) is that somehow by doubling the feeding, you would create a spike of ammonia, which would either be too much for the biofilter to handle, OR the doubled feeding will lead to twice as much nitrates etc., which might somehow overload the system.

I agree with you completely that double feeding is not going to do any of those. If the bio-filter isn't able to process twice the ammonia, then I think there is something wrong with that bio-filter. The concerns with nitrates are easy to fix - water changes, although I don't think that doubling the feeding is really going to do that. I mean, we do have examples of at times doubling the feedings - such as when we feed medicated pellets. Most people don't feed 1% of body weight daily in pellets, so when you do 1% of medicated pellets, you are actually going for a much heavier feeding schedule for anywhere between 10-30 days. It hasn't presented a problem most of the time, and we do tell people to do more WCs during these times anyway.

In the case of traveling, I would do as large a WC as I could either the night before or the day of travel, so the concerns about wastes are not really there, I don't think.

Having said all that, I don't think you need to do a double feeding. Even though 8 days is kinda getting to be at the top limit on how many days to fast a fish, I don't think the fish are actually truly fast, since most aquaria will have some amount of algae and other things for them to scavenge. If it were me, I would feed up to the day of my travel, and that's that.

The other thing I neglected to mention is that I think most people err on the side of overfeeding their fish. So, if anything, a little respite of 8 days should be fine. :)

I've left my fish for a week unattended on several occasions. My routine is to do a 50% water change two days before followed by another 50% change the night before I leave. I give them a feed before I go and add my plants usually large bunches of elodea floating. Plants don't cause more ammonia in the tank only when they are rotting and decaying in the tank and this also alters your pH. As long as you have a well established filtration system that's cycling the tank water several times an hour and your fish are in generally good health and you've kept to the stocking guidelines, they should be fine :)

Just do a big water change when you get back. This is probably the most important part.

Hi Helen

Regarding the battery air pump. They are good in emergencies! I have a few of them and they run off D sized batteries. I know they last at least 4 days as that's how long I had no power for without any battery change with some good alkaline batteries. They do get quite noisy but are relatively inexpensive. Here's a link to what I have:

http://www.aquariumnet.com.au/38/list.asp?id=6072&meid=38

You can also get these air pumps which run off electricity and continue running when the power shuts off as they have some sort of rechargeable battery in them. Haven't got any experience with it but it on my wish list ;)

http://aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3609&catID=8

good to know & thanks for the links, i will be shopping soon :) . also, who cares how noisy they get when you're not home or using them when the power is out? as long as they are doing their job, i can put up with anything when in need (even a snorer! :rofl )