List of Plants that should NOT be used with Goldfish

I see the list of plants that WILL work for goldfish, but do we have a list anywhere of plants that would be harmful for goldfish? Or would anyone like to rattle off some that you know of?

I'm hoping to go look at some plants on Craigslist today, but I don't want to choose anything that would be bad to use. Thank you! :)

I am not aware of any that would be harmful to goldfish, but there are some that goldfish prefer to eat. However, this is based on each individual goldfish's preference. I have had a fish that would eat anubias, but left water sprite alone, when most goldfish can't eat anubias but love water sprite.

I was unaware that craigslist had aquarium plants. :idont Just make sure to disinfect the plants when you receive them. :)

I think that it's just trial and error. Some fish will destroy even the most hardcore planted tank, while others will live quite peacefully. Just try it out, and if they tear everything up, then don't buy that plant again. That's how I roll, at least (apart from the fact that I just replace what they eat..... :peeka). :rofl3

Well that's good to know, didn't want to poison them! :) The listing was for a tank that I'd actually really like to get if I can figure out where to put it, but the picture shows it heavily planted, so I just asked if they were looking to get rid of any plants too. :)

I think the goldfish themselves would be more harmful than plants! :rofl

All aquarium plants are most definitely safe for goldfish, but it's questionable whether they will stay intact and not be demolished by the fish upon putting them in the tank.

What kind of plants were you looking at? In general, the more delicate stem plants will more than likely become a side salad. Their delicate, lacy leaves are very easily eaten.

You can start off with anubias (very hardy, practically indestructible), and if you are comfortable with that you can branch off into swords if you'd like, they require a little more attention, but if you care for them well they can get huge. :)

I asked what varieties they had and they said they have around 20 so they'd rather I just come look (this is all through email so far).

Here's the pic, surely something good must be in there right? :lol3

00t0t_17leJxtVdg0_600x450.jpg

That doesn't look bad at all! Your goldfish might take a liking to nibbling on the moss, but it's a very fast grower. That sword looks awesome, I can see it being a nice statement plant in the background. :)

I also see some stem plants in the back, anacharis, maybe?

They're all great plants. Go for it! :D

If you keep fry I would avoid plants like aldrovanda vesiculosa (it's carnivorous). Otherwise you'll find the vast majority are fish safe. :)

(I'm speaking in general, not in relation to what's in that tank. ;) )

Edited by dan in aus

I would say avoid any grassy-like plants with thin leaves and Elodea. Not because it's poisonous or dangerous, but because you won't enjoy it very long with a goldfish tank.

If you WANT to provide a salad for them, then by all means go for it!

Edited by Chai

I wish the craigs list in this area had tanks like that to offer! We seem to have an overabundance of pit bulls and kittens :(

We normally don't either, that's why I'm kind of jumping on it! :) Heading out now!

Since you have the Telescope, I would Avoid plants with stiff sharp edges. Most people worry more about plastic plants for this reason. But, I have seen some live plants that could pose the same problem.

So that was totally fun! The guy was really nice and is some sort of biologist - he had a whole tank room, where he basically raises plants, plus his bigger tanks. He just has too much going on and is trying to sell the house.

I ended up with lots of different things to try, and we'll see how it goes. :) I had him write everything down, but I don't know what names go with what plants, so I will have to do an image search I guess to really pinpoint them again. He keeps snails, and pretty much promised that I would have them too if I didn't disinfect the plants, so I will be sure to do that - but then he sealed the deal by giving us a "spixy" snail. :lol3 Which is ok actually, it's pretty cute, and my husband had commented about kind of wanting one anyway. Anyone know how that is for compatibility with goldfish though? And do I need to qt it?...

Here's my list, with pictures to follow, in no particular order since I don't remember what was what!

Cardinal Plant - I know this is the red one

Bocapa Austrelis

Willow Leaf Hygrophilla

Cabomba (Green) - little

Amazon Sword

Cryptocoryn Wendtil

Vallisineria Spiralis - "Tiger"

Spixy Snail

IMG_6286_zps533ee6e6.jpg

IMG_6285_zps2bd0ae7c.jpg?t=1402081871

I love this one!

IMG_6284_zps42c35c37.jpg?t=1402081920

These too!

IMG_6282_zps1bfb8b09.jpg

closeup

IMG_6283_zps80ab29d2.jpg

IMG_6281_zps56f7014d.jpg?t=1402082295

This one is so cool!

IMG_6279_zpsa7b73b23.jpg

IMG_6280_zps23a0f701.jpg

IMG_6277_zpsa9026927.jpg

IMG_6276_zpsbe29f3dd.jpg

I agree that it's all trial and error with plants. Each fish is different, and I think it may depend on what they were exposed to earlier in life. For instance, none of my fish have any interest in plants except for the fish I got from a tank that contained anacharis. Even so, that fish will just nip at it now and then as opposed to eating it, and doesn't do any real damage.