Sign in to follow this  
GoldieNewb

Looking for a big piece of driftwood for focal point of 55gal

Hey guys!

I'm going to start setting up my 55gal soon and I've decided I want a big piece of driftwood in there. So far I've been looking at pieces online but I worry that they may end up being too rough for my goldies. So, have any of you guys bought driftwood on line? How could you tell it'd be smooth enough not to rip your fishes fins? Did you go with fake? Would love some help finding a nice piece. :)

Thanks!

I used to have some driftwood in a goldfish tank. It was fine, although it wasn't particularly branchy. If splinters and jagged edges are a concern, I would look for some wood in an LFS. Really it just comes down to common sense. If you think you could easily cut yourself on it, chances are a clumsy fish could too.

Definitely shop around. If you find a piece that you like, but it has some sharp edges, you can buff them down, with a little sandpaper and some elbow grease. I've been looking for a nice piece of drift wood for a long time now, but I haven't found anything either.

Good luck, and be sure to share some photos with us, along the way! :)

Tom Barr sells some very nice wood on his site. You need to be a member and most pieces are branchy and intended for a planted tropical tank, but there are some lovely arch style pieces with minimal points that would work for goldfish. :)

I have 2 pieces of Mopani wood that I bought at my LFS. They are made by Zoo Med and I am very happy with them. The nice thing about Mopani is that it is more dense than Driftwood. So, it sinks immediately and doesn't rot.

IMG_20140531_163613_366-1.jpg

Yep, sand paper and a file will fix any sharp edges.

Mopani wood does rot, just at a much slower pace, it can take many many years.

Have you looked at the selection that BlackJungle has? http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com/Wood-For-Wet-Habitats_c_95.html

What size are you looking for?

Aquarium Design Group has beautiful driftwood.

Be careful of the fake driftwood they sell at pet stores, as the ones I've seen have hollow legs and lots of holes big enough for the fish to squeeze through.

Also beware of where you place it - I placed mine too close to the glass once and lost a fish after he got wedged in between the driftwood and glass. There should be plenty of room for your largest fish to swim by comfortably.

I picked up some from the local beach recently that I will be soaking for a week in water. Not sure where you live in the U.S., but this is a good free option if you live near a beach. I picked up smaller pieces to allow for more swimming room, which is important for me since my tanks are stocked fully. If your tanks are understocked, you could get a larger piece.

Definitely shop around. If you find a piece that you like, but it has some sharp edges, you can buff them down, with a little sandpaper and some elbow grease. I've been looking for a nice piece of drift wood for a long time now, but I haven't found anything either.

Good luck, and be sure to share some photos with us, along the way! :)

I had thought about using sand paper to file down any sharp edges. :) Wow, I hope we both luck out soon and find some nice safe pieces! I will certainly post if I find something cool. Thanks!

Tom Barr sells some very nice wood on his site. You need to be a member and most pieces are branchy and intended for a planted tropical tank, but there are some lovely arch style pieces with minimal points that would work for goldfish. :)

I will look into his site, thanks! :)

I have 2 pieces of Mopani wood that I bought at my LFS. They are made by Zoo Med and I am very happy with them. The nice thing about Mopani is that it is more dense than Driftwood. So, it sinks immediately and doesn't rot.

IMG_20140531_163613_366-1.jpg

I was actually eyeing a piece of mopani on amazon recently but wasn't sure if it'd be a good choice. It wasn't nearly as beautiful as yours though, that's an awesome piece! :)

Yep, sand paper and a file will fix any sharp edges.

Mopani wood does rot, just at a much slower pace, it can take many many years.

Have you looked at the selection that BlackJungle has? http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com/Wood-For-Wet-Habitats_c_95.html

What size are you looking for?

I haven't heard of them before but I'm excited to browse. :) I don't have a set size yet but I know it'll be in the center of the tank and want it to be pretty large. I've got a 55gal long. Thanks for the suggestion!

Aquarium Design Group has beautiful driftwood.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check them out!

Be careful of the fake driftwood they sell at pet stores, as the ones I've seen have hollow legs and lots of holes big enough for the fish to squeeze through.

Also beware of where you place it - I placed mine too close to the glass once and lost a fish after he got wedged in between the driftwood and glass. There should be plenty of room for your largest fish to swim by comfortably.

I picked up some from the local beach recently that I will be soaking for a week in water. Not sure where you live in the U.S., but this is a good free option if you live near a beach. I picked up smaller pieces to allow for more swimming room, which is important for me since my tanks are stocked fully. If your tanks are understocked, you could get a larger piece.

I actually live in S. FL so the beach isn't that far off. I do worry about bringing any pathogens into my tank though. Will boiling and soaking be enough to kill everything?

Yes, that is what I was told when I asked about it here awhile back. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have to add...I bought a smaller piece of Mopani yesterday. It actually did float for a little bit until I soaked it for a while in hot water. However, it sank after a couple of hours :)

Yes, that is what I was told when I asked about it here awhile back. :-)

I have to add...I bought a smaller piece of Mopani yesterday. It actually did float for a little bit until I soaked it for a while in hot water. However, it sank after a couple of hours :)

Very cool! I'm going down to the Keys next weekend so I think I'm going to scope out the beaches for some nice pieces. :) I'll post pics if I find some!

Update time! I ended up not having enough time to comb the beaches for drift wood so I went to a local fish shop and ended up getting this piece

10436196_10105297287535131_2121690454073

I'm really happy with it but will be sanding down some of the rough areas. :) I was wondering if I had to boil this or if I could just soak it in water instead. I don't want it to discolor my tank.

Update time! I ended up not having enough time to comb the beaches for drift wood so I went to a local fish shop and ended up getting this piece

I'm really happy with it but will be sanding down some of the rough areas. :) I was wondering if I had to boil this or if I could just soak it in water instead. I don't want it to discolor my tank.

Beautiful!!

An aquascaping site recommends to either soak the driftwood for 1-2 weeks OR boil it for 1-2 hours. This sounds about right; however, someone else here may wish to confirm whether there are any special considerations for a goldfish tank.

I ended up having no luck with the pieces I got from the beach - they smelled bad during boiling, had barnacles and I just didn't feel comfortable putting them in my tank. Although it appears my experience was unusual, I will be looking for a store-bought one, too.

Beautiful!!

An aquascaping site recommends to either soak the driftwood for 1-2 weeks OR boil it for 1-2 hours. This sounds about right; however, someone else here may wish to confirm whether there are any special considerations for a goldfish tank.

I ended up having no luck with the pieces I got from the beach - they smelled bad during boiling, had barnacles and I just didn't feel comfortable putting them in my tank. Although it appears my experience was unusual, I will be looking for a store-bought one, too.

Thank you! :) It's way too big to fit in any of our pots so I'll just soak it for a week or so.

I saw your posts, that's too bad :( Though I'm glad you went with your gut, it would have been horrible if the wood would have upset your fish somehow.

Hope you find a good piece soon!

I boiled driftwood that was too big for any of my pots. I would just turn the wood ever 40 minutes or so, so part of the wood was being boiled while other parts stuck out of the pot.

Just a little note: I often (always) find Mopani wood at Linens 'N Things MUCH cheaper than Local Pet Stores!

Beautiful piece of driftwood!!!

I boiled driftwood that was too big for any of my pots. I would just turn the wood ever 40 minutes or so, so part of the wood was being boiled while other parts stuck out of the pot.

We tried fitting it into the largest pot we had but since there are pieces that jut out it would just topple over. Even then it just wouldn't go far in enough :( I

I'm glad we can just let it sit in water instead! XD

Just a little note: I often (always) find Mopani wood at Linens 'N Things MUCH cheaper than Local Pet Stores!

Huh, I would have never guessed! Thanks for the tip! :)

Beautiful piece of driftwood!!!

Thank you! :D