GSA on my Anubias Coffeeolia

marka83

So I have GSA all over my Anubias. From what I read it's caused by inconsistent co2 levels and low phosphates, which is exactly what's been happening in my tank. Any quick solutions in addition to fixing the above stated issues that anyone suggests?

I never used CO2 for my Anubias, only once of week I add fertilizer. The growth is normal, but in my tank all of the plants are Anubias. I'm sure you have read a lot about that type of anubias but just in case here is some info for you :)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+1631+2676&pcatid=2676

Just don't focus on the picture- Anubias is not planted correctly, it must be attached on a rock or a wood, not planted in gravel.

Edited by adnan

Yeah, they don't need co2 supplementation but I have it in a planted tank with other plants that love it lol. It grew well under high light, but the inconsistent co2 exposed me to GSA. Boo. I could move it back near my amazon swords, they are more than 20 inches long and can shade the leaves.

The roots grew down into the substrate off its driftwood home, this is gonna be interesting.

A bleach dip will kill the algae. You can also try spot dosing Flourish Excel. If once you kill it it starts to come back, I would look at increasing your carbon dioxide or dialling the lights back so you need less. :)

Edited by dan in aus

If you don't already have a lead in time, I suggest switching co2 on 1-2 hours before your lights. I would say that is when I started to see an improvement in my growth patterns. Before then I had it set to turn on with the lights. If you grow the plants, you should avoid a lot of algae. According to Tom Barr:

Plants suck up the CO2 mostly in the first 1/2 of the day, after about 6-8 hours, they are done(most species, many others will keep on growing and using CO2), many species will "close up" mostly fine needle stem plants, a few wider leaf species as well. Any plant that does this is done taking in light/CO2.

So adding light after 8-9 hours is likely a waste. I've reduced the light time down to this level where most of them close up. The needle wheel adds more CO2 faster than any method, I suppose I could add CO2 15 minutes prior to lights on. But I'd rather not have another timer and mess with that.

If you don't already have a lead in time, I suggest switching co2 on 1-2 hours before your lights. I would say that is when I started to see an improvement in my growth patterns. Before then I had it set to turn on with the lights. If you grow the plants, you should avoid a lot of algae. According to Tom Barr:

Plants suck up the CO2 mostly in the first 1/2 of the day, after about 6-8 hours, they are done(most species, many others will keep on growing and using CO2), many species will "close up" mostly fine needle stem plants, a few wider leaf species as well. Any plant that does this is done taking in light/CO2.

So adding light after 8-9 hours is likely a waste. I've reduced the light time down to this level where most of them close up. The needle wheel adds more CO2 faster than any method, I suppose I could add CO2 15 minutes prior to lights on. But I'd rather not have another timer and mess with that.

Just adjusted my timer for two hours. I'm gonna stick with EI and high light since I was getting good results. I had issues with algae, but I think I was being overly cautious on adjusting my co2. It was the only off variable in the balance.