Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Betty's Eyes - pic and word heavy

So, we all know Betty.

Since she came to us in late March, she has always been a clumsy fish. I figured her eyesight was not very good, which, to my understanding anyway, is not uncommon in telescopes. Beginning a few weeks ago, we noticed that it was much poorer and that she had some white forming in her eyes. It wasn't cloudiness, but rather a white spot where it should have been solid black. Hard to describe, but there are pictures that will hopefully cover for my lack of words.

When this happened it became pretty obvious to us that she was blind, or just really challenged sight-wise. I have only mentioned it a few times, but only because I wasn't so concerned about it. She got around, was active, and got her share of food. She is a champion forager -the cutest I've seen of any fish sucking food off the floor - and while it stinks to have such an awesome fish to not interact with you at all, she just seems fine. I've kept in mind that should this change she may need her own tank, but for now it seemed fine to keep her as is. Anyway, I don't even know that her vision is relevant to my concerns for today, but it's certainly worth mentioning.

Before:

20140325_105224.jpg

20140421_153535.jpg

I almost think you can see a tiny haze here

After:

20140520_143543.jpg

How it began

20140526_193537.jpg

A few days ago

I found her this morning being chased by my three others. Checking on her, I saw that one eye had a lot of red underneath. I spent all morning worrying and shuffling them about (and that's when i noticed it was even worse than i thought! :yikes) and finally got a divider for the tank.

Here, you will see what has me worrying so much.

20140531_111242.jpg

20140531_111329.jpg

20140531_090348.jpg

The yellow? :o

20140531_111419.jpg

Cause it didn't look like she got punched in the face already

20140531_111412.jpg

K

I'm hoping that this was just a little bruising and nothing more. It looks awful though and I feel like I should have moved her already to prevent this. :hide:

Whatever there is to advise, or ask, please do so! She is such a special fish. :heart

Edited by jenzaar

When Merlot had his eye injury at first, it looked terrible. He healed well on his own, though, with clean water and observation.

I hope she does just fine, no matter how you go about healing her.

You have her in the colander now or with an actual divider? I would set up a separate tank just to be able to give her pristine conditions for a few days.

It looks like trauma and not a cataract to me. I agree with Suzanne...I would separate her and observe.

Edited by jmetzger72

When Merlot had his eye injury at first, it looked terrible. He healed well on his own, though, with clean water and observation.

I hope she does just fine, no matter how you go about healing her.

Did it bulge like that, or have that weird yellow covering it? :idont

She already seems more comfortable at least, I just keep having visions of her eye popping off or something. :rofl

You have her in the colander now or with an actual divider? I would set up a separate tank just to be able to give her pristine conditions for a few days.

No she's in the tank with the divider now.

They're due for a water change today so I'm comfortable keeping her in there until i can get a bin for the fry, if it should take longer than a day for some reason.

It looks like trauma and not a cataract to me. I agree with Suzanne...I would separate her and observe.

What would a cataract look like? :idont

A cataract would be a white spot, but deeper inside I think. See what Lisa thinks.

Edited by jmetzger72

A cataract would be a white spot, but deeper inside.

Oh. :hmm

I thought that did look like it was deep inside. It looks like things in her eyes kind of caved in. I don't know, hard to explain, and to photograph. :rofl

You'll know it's not a cataract if it begins to heal with rest and clean water.

Heh, that works :teehee

Hope she bounces back soon Jenna.

Really nice fish.

:)

Hope she bounces back soon Jenna.

Really nice fish.

:)

I'm sure she will. I haven't been overreacting much lately so it was due ;)

It bulged, bruised, filled with yellow oil, then was covered with a thick layer of slime coat for four days or so. I think it seems to be the normal bruising process, kinda like how people bruise. Like you saw in his photos, though, it is all better now.

Ahh okay. That is somewhat comforting to hear then. I was so worried about some infection or something developing. Thanks Chelsea :hug

She's about to go in the QT tank now. Do I want to salt?

Ahh okay. That is somewhat comforting to hear then. I was so worried about some infection or something developing. Thanks Chelsea :hug

She's about to go in the QT tank now. Do I want to salt?

I think 0.1% salt would be proactive and would relieve the osmotic pressure on the eye injuries.

0.1 it is. She's in now.

Thanks for your help, guys!

I think you are on the best track, but if you want to read more, you might search some old posts. I believe user Courtney (or was it Courtnee) had a very similar injury with her tele Peanut but it was some time ago.

Edit. As it turns out, it isn't really so similar ... but for some telescope eye reading, here is the link

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101266-peanuts-puffy-eyes/?hl=peanut

Edited by motherredcap

It looks like a cataract in her right eye. I see it in pics from before also, it's just more developed in the more recent pics. There is nothing you can do for that. It's not infectious, just makes her not able to see well.

Is the yellow metallic looking or ? :idont It's hard to tell what that is. But I do think there has been some trauma and keeping her separated is the way to go. Do you think she's released all her eggs?

BTW trauma can cause cataracts . . . .

It looks like a cataract in her right eye. I see it in pics from before also, it's just more developed in the more recent pics. There is nothing you can do for that. It's not infectious, just makes her not able to see well.

Is the yellow metallic looking or ? :idont It's hard to tell what that is. But I do think there has been some trauma and keeping her separated is the way to go. Do you think she's released all her eggs?

BTW trauma can cause cataracts . . . .

Thanks doc :heart

Do you mean the yellow that we see in the top view? Or the yellow you see around her eye? :idont if it's the latter, yes it's metallic. Almost like how gold leaf looks? I was going to say that has always been there but now I'm not sure... looking through older pics for comparison.

I don't think she's released all her eggs... I say that only because of the amount that I've found in the tank. It was very little compared to the last two times. I'm not sure if I could see what I can get out of her, or if i should enlist Blimp in some help. :idont

Okay. She did seem to have some of that metallic/goldish in her eye previously.

Susanne thanks for the link! There is plenty to go from.. from there. I'm sorry I can't make that sentence any better :rofl

She's a feisty lil thing. :rofl I just watched the video. If you have time to watch her and Blimp, maybe you could put them together and if he starts really banging her up again, separate them. I think she'll heal up just fine but we don't to put her through any more stress than is necessary . . . .

Hugs and healing energy to Betty!

She's a feisty lil thing. :rofl I just watched the video. If you have time to watch her and Blimp, maybe you could put them together and if he starts really banging her up again, separate them. I think she'll heal up just fine but we don't to put her through any more stress than is necessary . . . .

:rofl she was not pleased with me.

She's swimming about and doesn't seem to look full of anything, but really I'm clueless. I will put Blimp in there with her in a little while and see what happens.

:hug

:hug:)

Hugs and healing energy to Betty!

Thanks! :)

Welcome to my kitchen :rofl

20140531_195127.jpg

I am really annoyed that the only tub I could get had to be McDonald's colored. :doh11: but it's temporary and about the same volume they were in anyway.