I got new plants! But I don't know what most of them are . . .

Kittycat

I stopped in at my local Petco today, and they were having a plant sale! :D I was pretty happy, as I've really wanted to try to see if I'll have better luck with plants in a dirted aquarium. I ended up getting nine of them, all a different type. Out of all of those, only two of them had tags with the plant name on them, so I really don't know what the rest are.

Here's some pictures to enjoy!

plant1_zps058fc8ed.jpg

#1 I really like this one. It was one of the ones that came with a tag. It says it's a cryptocoryne. When I unpotted it, I was able to separate it into two clumps :)

plant2_zpsc4984753.jpg

plant3_zps5844dc4e.jpg

#3 This one said it was Echinodorus paniculatus 'Bleheri.' It has some really good roots on it.

plant4_zpsfc7fde27.jpg

#4 I have no idea what this one is, I don't even know if I've seen it for sale anywhere before, but I really like it's leaves and hope it does well.

plant5_zps99cd4f14.jpg

#5 Such cute, round leaves!

plant6_zps709ddeb0.jpg

#6 I've had this one before. It's leaves are actually pretty tough and hard feeling.

plant7_zpsbe2bdaf8.jpg

#7 I think this looks kind of like a Temple Plant, but I could be very wrong on that.

plant8_zps9ab2579b.jpg

plant9_zps080c5ba9.jpg

Any help identifying them would be appreciated! :)

Lol, I'm not too good at naming plants either but I do recognize that #4 is Brazilian Pennywort. Very hardy plant is looks very pretty. :D

I'm not too sure on #6 but the leaves look too thin to be vallisneria. It looks like some sort of longer variety of sagittaria. :idont

Anything with the name Echinodorus will belong in the sword family-- they like heavy fertilization in the roots and larger tanks. #5 looks like sword along with #3. Cryptocoryne is a heavy root feeder as well. The one you got looks like a wendtii to me.

:Congrats: on your new plants! We are expecting planted tank pics when you are finished! :teehee

I'm posting below the pictures. I can identify some, but not all. :)

I stopped in at my local Petco today, and they were having a plant sale! :D I was pretty happy, as I've really wanted to try to see if I'll have better luck with plants in a dirted aquarium. I ended up getting nine of them, all a different type. Out of all of those, only two of them had tags with the plant name on them, so I really don't know what the rest are.

Here's some pictures to enjoy!

plant1_zps058fc8ed.jpg

Some kind of crypt. Pretty undemanding heavy root feeder. They may melt in the beginning, but leave them in, they'll come back nicely.

plant2_zpsc4984753.jpg

Ludwigia repens? Maybe?

plant3_zps5844dc4e.jpg

Sword of some kind--the plant card is likely right! :)

plant4_zpsfc7fde27.jpg

Pennywort! This plant is a lot of fun, but goldfish like to eat them! :o

plant5_zps99cd4f14.jpg

Looks like another sword to me.

plant6_zps709ddeb0.jpg

Mondo grass? I don't think that this is a true aquatic plant, so lets see what the others say.

plant7_zpsbe2bdaf8.jpg

I think this looks like a temple plant as well.

plant8_zps9ab2579b.jpg

plant9_zps080c5ba9.jpg

Any help identifying them would be appreciated! :)

#6 is Mondo Grass, often marketed as "Kyoto". It's not an aquatic plant but can live submerged.

I don't know if it can live like that indefinitely, but it's cute. :idont It just looks like a yummy weekend treat for goldies to me. :rofl

The one above it looks like a melon sword, maybe?

Edited by Chai

The Kyoto/Mondo Grass is actually quite tough. I bought some years ago, not knowing it was not aquatic. The goldfish left it alone because the leaves are really quite tough. It did well too until I read it's not aquatic, and I removed it.

Then it died :rofl

Lol, I'm not too good at naming plants either but I do recognize that #4 is Brazilian Pennywort. Very hardy plant is looks very pretty. :D

I'm not too sure on #6 but the leaves look too thin to be vallisneria. It looks like some sort of longer variety of sagittaria. :idont

Anything with the name Echinodorus will belong in the sword family-- they like heavy fertilization in the roots and larger tanks. #5 looks like sword along with #3. Cryptocoryne is a heavy root feeder as well. The one you got looks like a wendtii to me.

:Congrats: on your new plants! We are expecting planted tank pics when you are finished! :teehee

That's nice to know that the pennywort should be hardy. Goodness knows I need some hardy plants!

#6 is Mondo Grass, often marketed as "Kyoto". It's not an aquatic plant but can live submerged.

I don't know if it can live like that indefinitely, but it's cute. :idont It just looks like a yummy weekend treat for goldies to me. :rofl

The one above it looks like a melon sword, maybe?

I got one of the grasses before. It lasted several months, but after about a month, it seemed to stop growing, then had a lot of algae growing on it's leaves before it eventually died. At the time I thought it was due to not having enough light/nutrients for it, but now I'm wondering if I should take it out of being submerged in the tank, and instead have it's leaves hanging over the side of the tank. It doesn't have the aquatic plant sort of feel. It's leaves are really sort of hard and wiry in a way, and that curl it has in the picture is the way it's leaves want to stay. :\ It's really too bad, because I do like the look of grassy aquatic plants.

I'm posting below the pictures. I can identify some, but not all. :)

Some kind of crypt. Pretty undemanding heavy root feeder. They may melt in the beginning, but leave them in, they'll come back nicely.

Ludwigia repens? Maybe?

Sword of some kind--the plant card is likely right! :)

Pennywort! This plant is a lot of fun, but goldfish like to eat them! :o

Looks like another sword to me.

Mondo grass? I don't think that this is a true aquatic plant, so lets see what the others say.

I think this looks like a temple plant as well.

Thank you everyone! Now I have all but the last two plants identified. I was looking at them, and it seems like they're pretty similar as far as leaf shape and overall structure go, except one has red leaves while the other one doesn't.

The Kyoto/Mondo Grass is actually quite tough. I bought some years ago, not knowing it was not aquatic. The goldfish left it alone because the leaves are really quite tough. It did well too until I read it's not aquatic, and I removed it.

Then it died :rofl

Oh yes, it feel like the goldfish could hurt their little mouths chewing on it, with how tough it is! Maybe i could gradually take it above water so hopefully it won't die from too much or not enough water! :P

I'm going to Petco tonight to check out their plant sale. Thanks for letting us know!!!

Edited by LisaCGold

Mondo Grass is under the "Plant Species to Avoid" section of my plant book. It's not an aquatic plant :(

I went ahead and draped some of it's leaves over the side of the tank. If I can't have it submersed, at least I can have it's roots in the water!

8 & 9 some sort of bacopa or ludwigia?

I looked at pictures of those, and I'm sort of leaning towards the Ludwigia. The leaves seem to be slightly different, sort of curled, but it could just be the variety that it is. The colors certainly matched, anyway.

I'm going to Petco tonight to check out their plant sale. Thanks for letting us know!!!

I don't know if it's just the one where I live, or if it's all of the Petco stores, but I do remember them having one last year around this time . . . either way, I hope you find something good!

8 & 9 some sort of bacopa or ludwigia?

I looked at pictures of those, and I'm sort of leaning towards the Ludwigia. The leaves seem to be slightly different, sort of curled, but it could just be the variety that it is. The colors certainly matched, anyway.

To the best of my knowledge ludwigia doesn't stay round like that once emersed, nor do I know of a species that resembles that submerged. The red is similar (but not quite) to ludwigia mini super red, but other than that I'm stumped.

Mini red:

DSC_0847-001.JPG

To the best of my knowledge ludwigia doesn't stay round like that once emersed, nor do I know of a species that resembles that submerged. The red is similar (but not quite) to ludwigia mini super red, but other than that I'm stumped.

I noticed that the leaves are really more of a heart shape than round. It's kind of hard to tell in the pictures because the leaves are crinkly and curled up. Here's a couple more (hopefully better) pictures. :) I would think that it would be a fairly common plant, and not something too exotic as I just got it at Petco! :P

plant2_zps6f05e3bb.jpg

plant1_zpse2183b45.jpg

I got some more plants today. :rolleyes: These were at the lfs so they were labeled this time, thankfully! I got some Java moss, a lacy Java fern (I already have regular Java ferns that have done well in my tank), some vallisneria, and some baby tears. I should be done getting plants for a while now, at least until I see how these do. Although I do really like dwarf hairgrass . . . :P

Here's some pictures of the tank I took this morning (without the plants I just got today).

tank1_zpsdafde656.jpg

tank2_zps84c02b38.jpg

tank3_zps3e7b3cd5.jpg

I currently have no fish in there, and I don't plan to put any in until I've had it set up for about a week, and the water levels test out fine. Also, that will give the plants a bit of time to get adjusted before the fish start poking at them :P I might change the locations of a few of the plants, too, but right now I want to see how they'll do.