Sign in to follow this  
LisaCGold

New Python - Disinfect First?

I just got my new python fitted to my kitchen sink. Yay!! I had to go back to the hardware store three times, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Before I use it, is there any need to disinfect the python before use?

I didn't. If you're worried, just run some super-hot water through it for a couple minutes.

:)

I didn't. If you're worried, just run some super-hot water through it for a couple minutes.

:)

I didn't either. :rofl

I just got my new python fitted to my kitchen sink. Yay!! I had to go back to the hardware store three times, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Out of curiosity, how did you get it fitted to your kitchen sink? I would love to do this, but didn't think it was possible because none of my sinks have a threaded faucet you can screw things on to.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, how did you get it fitted to your kitchen sink? I would love to do this, but didn't think it was possible because none of my sinks have a threaded faucet you can screw things on to.

I was also confused about this for the longest time. I went to the hardware store to get a new faucet that would work with the python. I was seriously willing to replace my kitchen faucet to make water changes easier and faster! The person who was helping me unscrewed the faucet head from one of their faucet displays. Duh! That's what I needed to do with my kitchen faucet in order to screw in the python. I had to get fittings to put on the python in order to screw it into my kitchen faucet (without the faucet head). They helped me with this, although I had to go back a couple of times to get the right fittings.

Does this make sense?

I was also confused about this for the longest time. I went to the hardware store to get a new faucet that would work with the python. I was seriously willing to replace my kitchen faucet to make water changes easier and faster! The person who was helping me unscrewed the faucet head from one of their faucet displays. Duh! That's what I needed to do with my kitchen faucet in order to screw in the python. I had to get fittings to put on the python in order to screw it into my kitchen faucet (without the faucet head). They helped me with this, although I had to go back a couple of times to get the right fittings.

Does this make sense?

Yes, your kitchen/bathroom faucet probably has an aerator already screwed in place. To reveal the threads for connecting, you must unscrew the aerator. :)

I found an adapter at Home depot that works great :)

Me, too! :rofl

Nearby I have this great kitchen and bath hardware store that has all kinds of fittings. I was able to get great service. It was basically my problem that caused me to have to go back a couple of times.

I changed water today using the python. I had problems in draining the tank. I didn't want to leave the water running the whole time, so draining was slow. Next time I'm going to just stick the end out the door and drain that way. That should go faster and give me more suction ability. Filling the tank was very quick, though I have to get use to it a bit.

I'm glad I got the python. It will make water changes so much quicker and neater!!!

Nearby I have this great kitchen and bath hardware store that has all kinds of fittings. I was able to get great service. It was basically my problem that caused me to have to go back a couple of times.

I changed water today using the python. I had problems in draining the tank. I didn't want to leave the water running the whole time, so draining was slow. Next time I'm going to just stick the end out the door and drain that way. That should go faster and give me more suction ability. Filling the tank was very quick, though I have to get use to it a bit.

I'm glad I got the python. It will make water changes so much quicker and neater!!!

Lisa, you might be interested in getting a pond pump to pump out the water from the tank, whether that's out to the garden or down the drain. :)

You should be able to get one for about $25 or so, and the the python tubing should fit the pump as well. :)

That's all you need. I removed the aerator from my bathroom faucet and added the adapter in place of it so I can screw a garden hose to it for refilling the tank. :)

Lisa, you might be interested in getting a pond pump to pump out the water from the tank, whether that's out to the garden or down the drain. :)

You should be able to get one for about $25 or so, and the the python tubing should fit the pump as well. :)

Here I agree as well. I dislike the fact that pythons waste so much water to drain the tank.

I don't use a pump, but have the gravel vac fitting into one end of my garden hose. I run one end of the hose out the door, start the gravel vac as you normally would, and have it run out the back door watering the yard. If you have no way to run it outside, running it into some low sitting drain like the shower might work well, just that you'll want to clean the shower afterwards :D

That's all you need. I removed the aerator from my bathroom faucet and added the adapter in place of it so I can screw a garden hose to it for refilling the tank. :)

Here I agree as well. I dislike the fact that pythons waste so much water to drain the tank.

I don't use a pump, but have the gravel vac fitting into one end of my garden hose. I run one end of the hose out the door, start the gravel vac as you normally would, and have it run out the back door watering the yard. If you have no way to run it outside, running it into some low sitting drain like the shower might work well, just that you'll want to clean the shower afterwards :D

I have a pond pump that I can use. I just need to vacuum the gravel first. The front door is close to the tank, so running the hose outdoors is no problem (this was what I was doing before with my non python setup). Thanks!

What a great idea! My tank is also near the front door and patio, and it seems wasteful to just pour the water back into the sink when I could be using it to water the grass and plants outside. From what I understand, if I were to empty the tank water outside, I would need to use a standard gravel vac instead of a Python because the gravel vac has its own pump for suction whereas a Python needs to be screwed into a faucet for suction, correct?

This might actually be faster, anyway - I've noticed the Python takes longer to empty the tank than my gravel vac did. I would need to somehow lengthen the gravel vac tube to reach all the way out, since all the ones I've seen have been just long enough to reach from the tank to the bucket.

What a great idea! My tank is also near the front door and patio, and it seems wasteful to just pour the water back into the sink when I could be using it to water the grass and plants outside. From what I understand, if I were to empty the tank water outside, I would need to use a standard gravel vac instead of a Python because the gravel vac has its own pump for suction whereas a Python needs to be screwed into a faucet for suction, correct?

This might actually be faster, anyway - I've noticed the Python takes longer to empty the tank than my gravel vac did. I would need to somehow lengthen the gravel vac tube to reach all the way out, since all the ones I've seen have been just long enough to reach from the tank to the bucket.

I think you can use the Python with the end of the hose outdoor even without a suction pump. See this video:

I'm going to try this at my next water change.

If you tank is up a few feet above the ground, then gravity alone - which is used by the standard gravel vac - works really good. I just cover the vac intake with a net from an onion bag, and use a cheap clamp from the hardware store to clamp the vac over the edge of the tank. That way the vac won't move, and will automatically stop draining as soon as the water level is low enough.

That way I can avoid over-draining the tank, while not having to stand there and watch. I usually go do something else in the meantime, and wait until I hear the loud "slurping" sound when the vac starts sucking air :lol Then I know it's done.

Prior to use the python, I connected a standard gravel vac to a garden hose that went to the outdoors. The gravel vac had a pump to start the suction. It worked well--there was enough suction to clean the gravel and empty the tank pretty quickly. I can do the same thing with the python and manually start the suction. If it doesn't work well (which I can't imagine it won't) there is always the pond pump option that Alex recommended.

I just started using the Python. I have never taken Felix out of his tank, while clean his tank in the past. My question is....Do you use the Python to refill your tank? And if so, do you take your goldis out, while waiting for the Prime to dechlorinate? What step do you take?

Thanks!

I just started using the Python. I have never taken Felix out of his tank, while clean his tank in the past. My question is....Do you use the Python to refill your tank? And if so, do you take your goldis out, while waiting for the Prime to dechlorinate? What step do you take?

Thanks!

Yes, you can use the python to refill. Just add enough Prime to dose the whole tank's volume (not just for the water you took out) and refill with temperature-matched and PH-matched water. It is not necessary to remove your fish. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

Oh my gosh!! I'm in heaven!! no more heavy buckets :happydance:clapping:

I have a very small leak in the Python where you attach the vac portion to the main hose. Anyone have this problem? Any fixes?

Oh my gosh!! I'm in heaven!! no more heavy buckets :happydance:clapping:

I have a very small leak in the Python where you attach the vac portion to the main hose. Anyone have this problem? Any fixes?

Tighten the piece a little. Sometimes they don't screw it tight enough.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks Chelsea!

So...tightening it at the tightest didn't work. So I changed out the 2 rubber washers aka gaskets. And leak free!

Would this pond pump work ? http://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-728310-Submersible-Pump-396GPH/dp/B0018X2XT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403747056&sr=8-1&keywords=pond+pumps+submersible

Sure it will. Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? You could get one cheaper there.