Are these plants suitable for telescopes? (1 Large picture)

Saralyn

Hey guys. I finally got my 72 gallon set up in the house today. I've been looking into live plants, but can't make up my mind on what plants I would like to try and I know goldies love to eat plants. (This tank will only be used for telescopes.) I spotted a package deal with multiple plants in it. I'm pretty much up for trying anything new as long as the plants are at a easy level. So my question is, are these okay for a telescope tank or are some of these no-no's? Will they be okay in sand and do they need fertilizing tabs?

From my understanding Amazon Swords and Java ferns are alright, but what about the others? I know the Jungle Vallisneria grows large, requires trimming, and multiples fast.

(The seller has a positive feedback of 99.6 %)

Included in this lot are total 20 plants / 8 different kinds:

2 Echinodorus "Red Rubin Narrow"- young plant 3-4 inches long

2 Echinodorus "Rose"- 6-7 inches long

2 Echinodorus parviflorus - 6-7 inches long

2 Echinodorus martii - 5-6 inches long

4 Jungle Vallisneria - 20-25 inches long

4 Miriophyllum elantinodes

2 Java Ferns, Microsorium pteropus

2 Hygrophila corymbosa

Fullscreencapture524201415251AM.jpg

I would say so! :) Actual live plants should all be safe for our fish; it's really only the artificial plants that are pokey enough to cause issues. :)

It looks like a nice package, and I hope you enjoy them. :) :) :)

I would use root tabs. You could get away with nothing, but the swords are heavy root feeders. The hygrophila should be okay, although corymbosa does like potassium—Seachem make a liquid potassium.

Enjoy your new plants. :)

I recommend you Vallisneria. If in the future I have another tank, I'll be decorating it only with oval rocks and plenty of Vallisneria plants :)

Of course the choice is your :)

All these plants are more than safe for your telescopes. :) They might take a liking to nibbling on some of them, though.

The swords and the vals would appreciate some fertilization in the substrate, however. The swords, especially. Make sure you have lots of root tabs on hand. I like to break them in half and distribute them in clusters of plants, rather than just placing one in the middle. Try not to go overboard, though. If you add too much it may spike your nitrates.

We expect pictures of your tank when it's planted! :bat::teehee

That's a great package! Just curious, do you have a link to the seller?

i think this is the seller http://www.ebay.com/sch/suntsova/m.html?item=281343207026&hash=item41815ca672&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Ah ok! I thought it was her, that's why I asked. She's the one Lisa and I got these awesome anubias from :)

Thanks, Helen!

What a great package of plants! You are very smart to do a lot of plants at one time. That way the algae will have more competition for nutrients. I suggest you disinfect the plants before putting them into the tank. There is a pinned thread on that.

Clippings/cuttings are parts of the plant cut from the main plant. Sometimes they come with roots, sometimes not. If not, they will grow them in time.

Edited by ChelseaM

Are 100 fertilizing tabs enough to start me out? I read that the tabs last from 1-2 months.

Also, will apple snails eat these plants? I'd like to know in case I need to pass on putting them into my tank. If they are okay in the tank I read that the tabs contain the slightest bit of copper, but they will not hurt fish. Aren't snails sensitive to copper?

Edited by Saralyn

I don't really know about root tabs and snails, so I'll have to leave that to the experts. It may help if you link us to the specific tabs that you're planning to purchase.

I have no idea about root tabs, but generally apple snails do not eat most aquatic plants.

It did happen to me though that they ate my water wisteria back then, and only that one. Not the amazon sword or giant hygro or vals or pennywort etc.

Usually the snails go for decaying plant material.

I have apple, nerite, and pond (I believe. He was a hitchhiker I'm too nice to kick out) snails in 2 of my tanks and none of them have damaged my plants.

That package looks like a great deal! If they have any extras I might have to steal your idea, lol. They're some of my favorites too and generally very beginner friendly.