Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Nostalgia - Three years in one post

As I was going through my old photos yesterday I came across baby photos of my four "Tiny Tots" .

Now to our newer members, with Tiny Tots I tend to refer to my 8" single tails that were my first (accidental) home bred goldfish. :D They just kept this name over the years.

Anyway, I managed to come up with somewhat of a timeline of these four brothers, who I never realized grew so beautiful and big until I looked at the old photos.

Around the 20th of March 2011, early in the morning I found a bunch of uneaten eggs in my largest tank. I had noticed spawning behavior for a while, but was never in time to find eggs. But in February 2011 I transferred to a different store and now started at 6:00-7:00 am every morning. With that, I finally found my some unconsumed eggs and removed them, not knowing if they were even fertilized or not. Within the next 24 hours I noticed eyes and spines forming in most of the eggs. Eventually about 20 fry hatched. I was not really prepared for it, but had a 10g tub available and fixed up a sponge filter. I had no other food than boiled egg yolk (REALLY messy) and Hikari First Bites.

At three weeks of age in their tub, this is a bunch of the fry with a heater, a sponge filter, and a sponge covered 90gph internal filter

fryday2101_zps12ae3009.jpg

Unfortunately I learned too late that there was a hole in the internal filter where the cord entered the housing, and almost all of my fry got sucked into it. When I noticed the disappearing of fry, I posted on goldfishkeepers and asked, and they said that this was normal especially if fry from the same batch grew at different rates.

One day, when I had only three fry left, I did check the filter though, and found the bodies of at least a dozen dead fry below the filter sponge in the internal filter :( In addition to that I found one fry stuck below the sponge that was still alive and I added him to his three siblings. He was named Trooper because he had survived the really dumb filter accident.

I was upset because I felt so stupid for never noticing the small gap at the back of the filter. Of course I removed the filter and no losses were recorded since, but I still want to kick myself in the rear for not checking earlier.

Here is a picture of the four survivors. Algae (Diatoms and Cyanobacteria, especially the latter) started growing in the tub (lit by a 100watt desk lamp) and they loved to eat it along with frozen baby brine shrimp.

You can already make them out: Trooper at the top, Tilty to the top left, Finny (without tail) at the center right, and Buttons with his button eye/s at the bottom of the image.
They are in the middle of eating frozen blood worms. For size reference, you can see a frozen blood worm on top of the black river rock.

05091102_zps4b6af2a2.jpg

Very early on (about two-three weeks after hatching) I noticed that one fry lacked a tail. This is the infamous Finny in all his baby glory.
fugufish02_zps09efcdae.jpg

Now for parental reference, this is me holding the four baby boys in a glass votive candle holder in front of the main tank. Hugo, the shubunkin in this photo, is their mother, and the orange comet in the next photo is Orange Fishie, their Daddy. Hugo came from Walmart's shubie tank, and Orange Fishie from Petsmart's 27c feeder tank. Both of them were picked randomly by the store employees when they were wee little things.
gettingbigger09_zps811be3f1.jpg

Augustshoot011_zpsb185a154.jpg

At about 10 months old, in a 1.5g betta bowl for photos

10141104_zpsc3173c16.jpg

This is the boys at about 11 months of age. Tilty lost his baby color and turned orange. The others had been shubies from the start.

11021105_zps44f263b0.jpg

In the temporary 20g, these four little guys did a lot of growing. This is one of my all time favorite pics of them lining up for a photo. You can see Tilty's black has mostly faded except for the Hitler mustache and the tips of his caudals.

12041104_zps41f60a8a.jpg

Still in the 20g, but months later and colored up (although my camera OVERsaturated this pic a bit), and lining up again.

100_2105_zps654f0314.jpg

Now a little bit over three years later these guys have grown so much. They have moved on to a bigger tank and are on average 8.5" in total length, 4-4.5" body length. Except for Finny, the tailless wonder, who is about 5" body length :D
And Tilty looks so much like Orange Fishie, it's eerie. And I'm not talking about the color, but overall look etc. Just like Finny looks so much like his mom, even without the color, minus the long flowy tail.

EDIT: Scrolling up and down to the old pics vs these new ones, it is really easy to compare them. Most of them have not changed much in coloring. The color pattern is still mostly the same.

Finny (no tail), Willie (the telescope eyed common at the bottom), Tilty (the orange comet), and Norm (ranchu? lionchu? chuchu?) in the back

100_8757_zps282b50ca.jpg

A nice closeup of Finny and Trooper. It still blows my mind that Trooper was literally stuck INSIDE a filter (below the filter floss inside the filter container) for a good 12 hours when he was a baby, and survived and grew into this gorgeous, breeding-star sporting big boy :3
100_8759_zpse09420e1.jpg

Buttons is the most difficult to take pics of. He is just SO active, and I wonder if that is the reason why he is the smallest of the four boys. He is a cutie either way, and still has the button eye that gave him his name :)

100_9476_zps474d15fd.jpg

They look great!!!

I can't believe it's been 3 years!!! They look amazing :wub:

I LOVE before and after photo series. Thanks for sharing yours. There is a special bond when you raise them from eggs I think. You get the satisfaction of knowing that you facilitated their journey into adulthood. Oh- and the line-up photo is a great shot.

Edited by mysterygirl

Beautiful babies became gorgeous adult fish...what a neat photo journey :). I saw that Finny's black under his scales in front of his dorsal fin became white. I didn't realize that coloration below the scales could also change. Thanks for putting this together so we could see how they all grew :).

That is like an adventure! You are so dedicated and patient! Great work and very good example for people who like this hobby!

They are beautiful! I think Orange Fishie is gorgeous! :o

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing.

I remember them from when I occasionally looked over Comet's shoulder. Nice story, Fang.

Great story!! staring beautiful fish!!...great job!:-)

They're so big and beautiful! You sure have a talent for getting them to line up for picture time.

Wow! Beautiful fish with a wonderful story!

Wow! They've changed soooo much! :) Thank you for sharing these pictures; I really enjoyed seeing them. :D

OMG you have the most photogenic fish ever!!! They line up for poses!! :rofl

It's amazing to see them grow and watch their colors change! :heart

Beautiful!!!

Great pics and story. I really enjoyed reading it and seeing the pics to go along with it.

They look great!!!

Thank you!

I can't believe it's been 3 years!!! They look amazing :wub:

I know, right? Time goes by so fast!

I LOVE before and after photo series. Thanks for sharing yours. There is a special bond when you raise them from eggs I think. You get the satisfaction of knowing that you facilitated their journey into adulthood. Oh- and the line-up photo is a great shot.

Thank you! I agree, before and after photos are always great to look at.

Beautiful babies became gorgeous adult fish...what a neat photo journey :). I saw that Finny's black under his scales in front of his dorsal fin became white. I didn't realize that coloration below the scales could also change. Thanks for putting this together so we could see how they all grew :).

Thanks! Yes, I am not sure if this has actually changed or if the skin simply grew thick enough with age that the black can't be seen through anymore, and so he lost the blue hue. Or maybe it does fade too? I actually never even thought about that!

That is like an adventure! You are so dedicated and patient! Great work and very good example for people who like this hobby!

Thanks! I wouldn't take this as a very good example though. I am sure that there are many things I could have done better if I had planned for fry and had actually been prepared for them :lol

They are beautiful! I think Orange Fishie is gorgeous! :o

Thanks! Tilty is the spitting image of him! Unfortunately O.F. passed away a couple years ago. He was the fish with occasional seizures that I had mentioned in someone else's topic a few days ago.

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, and you're welcome!

I remember them from when I occasionally looked over Comet's shoulder. Nice story, Fang.

Thanks, Lady! :)

Great story!! staring beautiful fish!!...great job!:-)

Thanks, Steve!

They're so big and beautiful! You sure have a talent for getting them to line up for picture time.

That's just them hoping for food :rofl

But seriously, these four brothers seem to be as thick as thieves. I don't think I'd ever want to separate these guys from each other.

What beauties :)

Thank you!

Awe I love this post!!! I remember the whole process with these fry... I love them so much :)

They love you too, Haley! :D

Wow! Beautiful fish with a wonderful story!

Thank you! :)

Wow! They've changed soooo much! :) Thank you for sharing these pictures; I really enjoyed seeing them. :D

Changed, and not changed. I find it interesting that for the most part their coloration and pattern has remained almost fully the same. They just got quite big over time :D

OMG you have the most photogenic fish ever!!! They line up for poses!! :rofl

It's amazing to see them grow and watch their colors change! :heart

Thanks :lol I always was a little peeved though when Tilty changed from bronze to orange. I love bronze goldfish :D

I am so glad you have Tilty since he looks like

O. F. And I am sorry for your loss. :(

:thumbup2::goodjob

Beautiful!!!

Thank you!!

Great pics and story. I really enjoyed reading it and seeing the pics to go along with it.

That's nice of you, thanks! :)

I am so glad you have Tilty since he looks like

O. F. And I am sorry for your loss. :(

Aww thanks :)

:thumbup2::goodjob

:flowerss

Thanks, Koko! :)

Awwww I loved reading about your adventure with them as fry and becoming such beautiful goldies :D So much fun to see them as teeny tiny babies and then adults!