Pretty excited, we picked up a used 29 for $25 from the lfs and I'm picking up the stand for $15 tomorrow. Not as big as I originally wanted, but it's only for my two fancies and its the best I can do. I can stop losing sleep over them being crowded now haha :)

Congrats! That's a great deal. I think 2 Fancies can do quite well in a 29 gallon with good maintenance :)

Edited by jmetzger72

Congrats!!! :nana remember to sanitize it! :)

Thanks, and Mikey how should I sanitize it? Will hot water do?

I use PP, but you can also you a bleach solution :). I forget what ratio it is to water though. :peeka someone will definitely chime in soon with it though!

Do you mean Prazi for pp? I'm afraid I haven't got all the lingo yet

What a great deal!!!

I have two orandas in a 30 gallon tank. They are quite happy, though I'm hoping to upgrade soon. I do 80% water changes about every 6-7 days.

PP = Potassium permanganate I don't have the instructions for this. Someone else will probably chime in on this.

A chlorine bleach solution for disinfecting a used tank would be 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. Fill up tank with that ratio, then let sit for 2 to 3 hours, rinse out, fill up with water and put in Seachem Prime to help neutralize any chlorine that is still hanging around, let sit for awhile, and rinse out. If there is still a chlorine smell you can let it sit and dry out or do the water/Prime fill again. I'd probably do the latter.

Make sure to get a bleach solution with chlorine in it and not just a whitening bleach solution (which mostly just has hydrogen peroxide). I made this mistake once....

Edited by LisaCGold

Congratulations on your new tank. Lisa has given you great directions for disinfecting the tank. Depending on your weather, it might be helpful to let the tank dry out in the sun after the final rinse.

Thanks, haha ok that makes much more sense than Prazi :teehee and I will probably do the bleach thing. I may dilute it even more, but I get super anxious about chemicals anywhere near my fishes. I don't have Prime as I use a different brand but I do have stuff that neutralizes ammonia made by Tetra. Will that be ok?

Edited by OrandaPanda

Congratulations.

Hope you can post pics.

Congratulations on the upgrade :)

I believe there are other brands out there. Just make sure whatever it is it removes chlorine :)

Edited by molbert73