What do I do for a torn tail?

andry6

I was just doing a large cleaning on my tank and removed the fish so as not to stress them too much. When I put my oranda back in the tank I noticed that he has a tear in his tail about half way across one of the back bottom "lobes" (for lack of a better term...I don't know what it's called) :cry It must have happened while moving him because he was a little wiggly at first.

Is there anything special that I need to do or add to the water while it heals?? :cry

(edited to add that I remove them from the tank with my bare hands, not a net)

Edited by andry6

Can you get a picture of it? Torn fins usually heal quite well with pristine water, so make sure your parameters are perfect for the next week or so.

Let us know if you see it getting worse, but I think it'll heal fine with clean water. :thumb:

Edited by Georgia

This is not uncommon to happen, and I recently did that to two of my fish as well :doh11:

Clean water is the best medicine for minor physical injuries like these. The split will slowly start to become smaller until it disappears.

Simply up the water changes by 50% just to make sure to keep the water as pristine as possible, and all should be good in a few weeks :)

Well...I woke up this morning to the torn part of the tail completely torn off. It was under the bubble strip in the bottom of the tank. I'm assuming it got caught on there. :cry

So now he's missing the whole bottom lobe on one side. Will it grow back? :idont

Here's what it looked like yesterday:

048_zpsced123d8.jpg?t=1400760770

054_zps987157d3.jpg?t=1400847085

Keep the water nice and clean! It should heal and grow back just fine. You can salt the tank to 0.1% or add Melafix to assist in the healing process, if you'd like. :hug

Your fish are gorgeous, by the way. :o

I think he'll be fine. :hug Just continue with the clean water, it is vital so it doesn't get infected. You are using Prime as a conditioner, correct?

He is so gorgeous, by the way! :heart

• Supporter

it's like getting a weird cut on your skin.. you know that flappy bit is never going to seal up.. it will just annoy you to no end until you either cut it off or it falls off. when the blood supply to it is severed, that section will fall off.

fins do grow back, they might never be the same, ie, they could grow back uneven or with a crease/fold in it, but they do grow back. nice clean water with increased water changes as advised and the fish will reward your efforts by healing itself :)

Keep the water nice and clean! It should heal and grow back just fine. You can salt the tank to 0.1% or add Melafix to assist in the healing process, if you'd like. :hug

Your fish are gorgeous, by the way. :o

I think he'll be fine. :hug Just continue with the clean water, it is vital so it doesn't get infected. You are using Prime as a conditioner, correct?

He is so gorgeous, by the way! :heart

Thank you so much for the compliments! I think he's handsome too :wub: (but now I feel like I've scarred him for life :cry )

I think his long flowy tail might have wrapped around my hand an snagged on my wedding ring. I tried to be careful with them but never thought to remove my rings. Lesson learned I guess. :(

And yes, I do use Prime with every water change, but I don't have any Melafix. Where would I get that? I guess it should be a staple that I keep on hand just in case, huh?

Oh you don't need to go buy it. It's just one of those things that if you have on hand, this would be a good use for it. :)

He'll be just fine with clean water and TLC. :hug

Oh you don't need to go buy it. It's just one of those things that if you have on hand, this would be a good use for it. :)

He'll be just fine with clean water and TLC. :hug

Well you can be sure that he will be getting lots and lots of TLC! Trust me, if I could pick him up and hug him for a while I would :cry

Just look at that poor tail...

167_zps7b16980b.jpg?t=1400780824

• 2 months later...

Update: His tail is growing back, but it is growing back bent :(

I touched it thinking that it was just folded over somehow, but it is hard and permanently bent :cry I have crippled my poor little fishy by not taking my rings off when moving him. Lesson learned...

it's like getting a weird cut on your skin.. you know that flappy bit is never going to seal up.. it will just annoy you to no end until you either cut it off or it falls off. when the blood supply to it is severed, that section will fall off.

fins do grow back, they might never be the same, ie, they could grow back uneven or with a crease/fold in it, but they do grow back. nice clean water with increased water changes as advised and the fish will reward your efforts by healing itself :)

I just noticed that you mentioned about the crease/fold. That's exactly what has happened.

One of my fish once got its whole tail eaten of and it grew right back :)

You're lucky! I wish his would've grown back as pretty as it used to be :(

His name is Shipwreck...so now I guess it just fits him better :P He's officially "wrecked" :teehee

One of my fish once got its whole tail eaten of and it grew right back :)

You're lucky! I wish his would've grown back as pretty as it used to be :(

His name is Shipwreck...so now I guess it just fits him better :P He's officially "wrecked" :teehee

My fish was a platy but it took months to grow back and never looked exactly the same