Water temperature

Hope someone can help me.

I am slowly setting up my first 250L goldfish tank (66 US gallon I believe. 100cmx50cmx50cm) ....

No goldies yet only 2 Ancistrus bristlenose, I need to make sure that everything is perfect before adding goldies, water qualities looks fine.

But I am having trouble with the temperature.

In the morning the temperature is 24 C (75,2 F) but during the day it raises to 25 C (77 F)

Even after cold water change the lowest I have seen is 23C (73,4 F)

I have no heater.

My Tetractex canister filter and a airpump with bubble wall are the only thing runing in the tank.

The tank is NOT placed in sun light.

My tank is with full top cover but I have open both lid.

The light is T8 fluorescent 2x30W and it is switched on for 8 hours a day.

What is raising the tempature ?

And how do I lower it?

Is it at all possibly keep goldfish in these temperature?
Edited by Sonne242

It could be because of the lighting system, or the other option is- during the day the temperature of the room is increasing and that also reflects to the water temperature.

The range of temperatures in which goldfish survive is 0-43C. Some fancy goldfish may have trouble with temperatures below 5C or above 32C, but some people successfully keep fancies under ice and in tropical ponds.

You may be confused by the term "cold water fish." When this term is applied to goldfish, it is the alternative to "tropical fish" which require a heater at room temperature. Unlike trout, for example, which require cool to cold water to survive, goldfish are perfectly happy at the same temperatures that we enjoy.

I live in the Virgin Islands. Right now it's 10pm and my water temp is 84F. At 2pm while doing water change it was at 86. My lowest is 83. My highest was at 88. Sadly.

I live in the Virgin Islands. Right now it's 10pm and my water temp is 84F. At 2pm while doing water change it was at 86. My lowest is 83. My highest was at 88. Sadly.

There's nothing sad about it. The temp range seems fine to me. :)

I always thought that my temps did too much harm.

In what way? Goldfish live all over the world, and in many cases experience water temps even higher.

I always thought that my temps did too much harm.

Hmmm I understand. If it wasn't for the things I've learned here I would be follow pet shop advice to this day. Imagine, I was told I should invest in an aquarium chiller.

One of our Indian members had tanks up to the 90s. I think eventually he did buy a chiller.

But I was never certain why he did...it still wasn't necessary...and chillers are exorbitantly expensive.

• Admin

One of our Indian members had tanks up to the 90s. I think eventually he did buy a chiller.

But I was never certain why he did...it still wasn't necessary...and chillers are exorbitantly expensive.

ya....way to expensive :o those are normally used for SW tanks :thumbup2: