How to use Koi Clay?

• Supporter

I made some of the non-floater gel food for my goldies, and now I am wondering what to do with this big jar of koi clay. It's probably enough for 50 years worth of food for 3 goldfish.

Would it be good for them if I added it to the tank? I searched for instructions, but I could only find information adding it to ponds.

How much should I use for a 55g?

Thanks,

Sara

I use it quite a lot, and I like it. Honestly, I don't even really measure it anymore. I just take a nice sized bit, and throw it in the tank. When I'm mixing it into their Repashy SG, I try to stick to a measured amount, but that's only so that the food still gels nicely.

• Supporter

Okay. So it isn't like a buffer or something that has to be exact.

And so from what I've read, the benefits are clearer water, and minerals for the fish?

I might as well use it then. If I use it in the tank and the food, then I might just finish this jar in 25 years instead of 50!

Does it clog your filters?

Edited by Saracatt

The only thing I personally REALLY watch is that there are no clumps when I add it to the tank. This stuff seems to expand quite a bit when it gets into contact with water, and I don't want my fish to accidentally swallow a glob of it which then expands inside them.

I may or may not be overly paranoid in this case.

Yet again.

:rofl2

As for the filter, it WILL over time collect in your media though. Especially in my bare bottom tanks I can really notice this, since the clay can't settle in the substrate.

But unless you use a lot of it, it won't be a problem.

The only thing I personally REALLY watch is that there are no clumps when I add it to the tank. This stuff seems to expand quite a bit when it gets into contact with water, and I don't want my fish to accidentally swallow a glob of it which then expands inside them.

Yet again.

As for the filter, it WILL over time collect in your media though. Especially in my bare bottom tanks I can really notice this, since the clay can't settle in the substrate.

My fish eat clumps of it like it's food, and none of them have had any ill effects. Lol! They're so dumb. :rofl3

You are. :) The expansion is simply the particles separating as they are going into suspension. They are falling apart before the fish swallows, and will complete the process if there's anything still together to chew.

Yet again.

My fish eat clumps of it like it's food, and none of them have had any ill effects. Lol! They're so dumb. :rofl3

You are. :) The expansion is simply the particles separating as they are going into suspension. They are falling apart before the fish swallows, and will complete the process if there's anything still together to chew.

Thanks, Ladies! Does that mean I can finally stop shaking the small bottle with hot water and koi clay like a maniac for 10 minutes every time I add this stuff? :lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporter

This stuff is definitely working as advertised. I used it in the last water change, and today is the next water change day. The water still looks crystal clear, like it does right after a change. The fish look like they are floating in air! :D

I took a teaspoon and swished it in a cup of water before pouring it in, so nobody swallowed any. :P

I hope it is making them healthier too!