Sign in to follow this  
Saralyn

Looking into UV Sterilizers

Hey guys. Some of you know I've been working on my used 72 gallon getting it fixed up. I've been thinking about getting a UV light for it. I was wanting something that would go into the 48 inch hood. Do you think one of these would work inside of a hood or do they have to have something special?

http://www.petco.com/product/109695/Purely-UV-C-Replacement-Bulbs-T8B-Base.aspx

I'm looking at the 47.25 inch 75 watt bulb on the page.

My hood takes a single long bulb.

I'm looking for something to help keep my water crystal clear, and if it stops parasites from reproducing it's even better. Looking for something around $50.

If you have any suggestions or products for me to look at, please post them. :)

I don't think UV in the hood would work. It would have to be an actual UV sterilizer unit that runs on a pump or inline with a canister.

I watched something about a submersible one killing off someones fish?

You're not trying to shine UV on the fish. You are trying to push water through a chamber at a specific flow rate, and in that chamber, the UV kills off things. :)

UV-C unshielded would kill your fish

Sorry I thought I read somewhere that UV-C didn't hurt the fish or didn't show any signs of hurting them? So then what should I go with?

UV-C is Dangerous

At this wavelength (253.7nm) germicidal lamps are dangerous to humans or any other forms of life it may come in contact with. The lamp should always be shielded and should never be viewable to the naked eye. If exposed to germicidal wavelengths humans will notice a sunburn on their skin and some may begin the initial stages of skin cancer. If a persons eyes are exposed to UVC lamps the individual will notice a severely painful inflammation of the cornea which may lead to temporary or permanent vision loss or impairment.

These lamps emit ULTRAVIOLET RADIATION (UVC). Avoid exposure. Ultraviolet radiation is harmful to the skin and the eyes and can cause serious skin burns and eye injury either from direct or reflected radiation. To reduce the risk of personal injury, install only in a fixture which provides adequate protection to area occupants. This lamp SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR ILLUMINATION PURPOSES.

Taken from a web site

So what do people use if they don't use submersible ones? I'm up for anything as long as it's safe.

So what do people use if they don't use submersible ones? I'm up for anything as long as it's safe.

Look up the Emperor UV units. They hang on the side of the tank, and work by pulling water out, going through the until, and then pushing back into the tank.

I actually used a submersible for a couple years with no ill effect to my fish, until I decided I don't want UV anymore.

It seems like those go to canister filters, right? Mine aren't fixed yet so I'll be using HOB filters.

It seems like those go to canister filters, right? Mine aren't fixed yet so I'll be using HOB filters.

Did you read the description? They are to be hung on the side of the tank. :)

Sorry I have so many tabs open trying to figure all these different kinds out. lol

I generally have a thousand tabs open, too! It gets confusing sometimes! Lol!

One thing that should be kept in mind, when you make the decision about UV Sterilizers... It's something that you have to run all the time, forever (and ever), or not at all. Many people on the forum have run UV Sterilizers long term, and upon stopping their use, have had their fish develop health issues.

Also, how mature is your tank's cycle? Some folks have noted a cycle bump, after starting to use a UV Sterilizer.

I do think that they have their place, but there are too many other things that I'd rather spend my money on, you know?

My tank (72 gallon) is still empty because I'm waiting on the silicon to dry. Tomorrow will make 48 hours and we plan on filling it with water to test it. Once we get it moved in I plan on using a pre-established filter to jump start my cycle process. Once I get everything ready and see how the water does then I'll make my choice about the UV. I was asking because the tank in the living room (75 gallon) had an issue with some cloudiness even after I had done huge water changes. It's finally cleared up for the most part, but I would want my "personal" tank to be crystal clear since it will be in my room and I'll be seeing it at all times.

If water clarity is your real motivation behind the purchase of a UV, then I would tell you that it's not worth it. There is an underlying cause for that cloudy water, and it's better that we troubleshoot, to try to get rid of it, before adding expensive equipment which may, or may not, do the trick.

Do you know if you're having a green water/algae issue with the cloudy tank, or if it's particulates? Purigen is great for clearing up a murky tank; I've used it myself, and it's very cheap! If your clouding is due to fine particles in the water, a natural flocculant like Koi Clay (Calcium Bentonite clay) is great for clumping up that junk, and letting the filters pick it up. Adding a prefilter to your filter intakes might also help strain out some of the fine particles.

I had issues with a cloudy tank for quite a while, and I found that it settled down nicely after running Purigen for a few months. My cycle was still pretty new at the time, so I imagine that a little time might help your other tank settle down. :)

It's not green, just whitish. I kind of also wanted a UV to help with the bacteria because I plan on ordering some nicer fish once I get everything running. Just want to minimize the chances of them getting sick even though I'm always on top of water changes and tank cleanings. I tend to get paranoid. :(

If you want a UV to help with water clarity, you don't need much, a cheaper submersible one like the green killing machine or something like that will likely be fine. If you want something that is going to kill pathogens, you are going to want to go with something like what Alex suggested that hangs on the back of the tank and is larger. To kill pathogens your water needs to be in contact with the UV for a longer period of time than for just water clarity, this means you need a more powerful UV with an appropriate pump.

I can vouche that the emperors are great, I have been using one for a couple years now I think. I bought mine on goldfish connection (I have a 75 gallon now, but was running it on a 40 gallon previously). The one from goldfish connection is really nice because it comes with all the pieces to just hang it on the back of the tank, whereas if you buy an emperor somewhere else they do not come with this and you will need to gather the parts yourself (not hard, but I liked that I didn't need to put much thought into setup). The GFC one also comes with an appropriate pump, which the rate at which a pump pushes water through the UV is one of the most important factors in whether or not your UV is working to kill pathogens or not, so taking the guess work out of this is nice.

Here is my review on this http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100241-emperor-smart-uv-25-watt/?hl=%2Bgoldfish+%2Bconnection+%2Buv+%2Breview

Here is the site https://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=40&catId=1

The Aqua Vim uv sterilizers are another possible option that has come up on this forum recently. They are available on ebay and look to be a cheaper version of the Emperors. I cannot speak to these though because I don't have any experience with them, but they might be worth checking out.

hope this helps! As others said already, a UV can be a nice addition, but it is by no means a necessity ;)