I have some questions

Fluffy

I will start with just a couple. I was reading a thread Alex started back in 2012 about research on the lifespan of goldfish.

In the study the wild fish ate 60% brown algae, 20% green algae, 15% zooplankton and 5% Cyanobacteria (often called blue green algae)

Is the brown algae diatoms?

I tried to find out how much protien is in these algaes and my brain started to explode. (I have never been much of a research person. Never much into the sciences).

I really like the idea of using Daphnia as a protien in my gel food.

For some reason it seems more natural for our goldies to eat daphnia than salmon.

How can we more closely duplicate the algaes in the study for our tank goldies?

If I want to use aquatic plants as part of the fibers in my gel food which ones do I use?

These are just questions running through my head and keeping me up nights. :blink:

Edited by Fluffy

I too like feeding my fish as "natural" as possible.

Super Green, as mentioned by Dan, is probably the food that replicates their natural diet most closely.

This will be consumed much faster than in nature though where they spend hours foraging, so I like to feed many small portions throughout the day and additionally provide blanched vegetables (zucchini, cucumber, spinach, kale) on which the fish can graze all day and night.

High quality pellets - I avoid those that have wheat, corn etc in their top ingredients, and find that Omega One is actually a great brand when you look at the ingredient list - and frozen foods such blood worms, daphnia, white mosquito larvae, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp etc, are fed for the extra protein boost.

I am not sure about how well it would work to incorporate aquatic plants into homemade gel food. First of all, you would need a fairly large amount of plants over time, which will be costly unless you are somehow able to grow them yourself, or harvest them from someone's pond, in which case you do not know if there are any pathogens. It's not like you can bleach dip these plants and then feed them to the fish.

Instead, as a sort of treat, you could probably feed anacharis in small amounts.
But I still find that just choosing the 59cent cucumber, which will last for two weeks, is a great alternative. :)

My girls have never been much into super green, so I went for a different route. New Life Spectrum recently introduced an all-algae pellet into the market called Algaemax. They have a gel powder mix as well, but I opted for the pellet because I did not know how the gel would be accepted by them.

I mixed it in with their usual pellets (Hikari Lionhead and Thera A) and so far I've been really, really pleased with the results. I highly suggest using this as part of their diet! They're very fond of it as well. :D

Ingredient list

Guaranteed Analysis

Edit: added a clearer photo of the ingredient list.

Edited by Chai

Australian feral goldfish have a somewhat different diet. http://www.freshwaterfishgroup.com/resources/Goldfish%20control%20in%20Vasse%20River.pdf

The stomach contents of 20 Goldfish (28ñ386 mm TL) examined from the Vasse River were dominated by detritus that was largely comprised of cyanobacteria

(blue-green algae), but additionally contained diatoms, nematodes, anisopteran larvae, coleopteran larvae,dipteran larvae, eastern mosquitofish, green algae and
some terrestrial insects.

Basically, goldfish in the wild eat what is available.

Edited by shakaho

I guess some of my confusion comes in when we start feeding things like seaweed, brine shrimp and other things that by nature are meant to be consumed by marine or brackish water fish.

Even the tuna and salmon (unless salmon that is being used is in its's fresh water stage) are saltwater food.

I am not saying it is bad for our fish. Heck, I don't even know what I'm talking about! It is a great source of protein. I was just wondering how the protein content of the algaes in the studies and the protein content in the human grade marine fish stack up against each other but each time I thought I might be closing in on a conclusion another question would arise or I would burn my brain trying to read the research language.

After a whole day of this my brain began to implode and since I still have need of my brain, I gave up.

I am definitely going to make my own gel food using combos of receipes I have found on the forum here.

I prefer using the Agar Agar just to be on the safe side. Every little bit of floaty prevention will help.

Since I only have one little fish to feed I think I would like to use fresh river trout.

I am definitely hung up on the salt water thing.

:rofl

I love agar agar, and when I was making my own gel food, I was using it as the binder. :)

Here's how I have worked it out for myself. In our efforts to try to find a good diet for our goldfish, it's important to remember that we will not be able to approximate nature, unless we are housing them in outside ponds/lakes. Second best would be to offer them organisms/foods that they might encounter were they outside, such as blood worms, daphnia, algae and other green matters. After that, aquatic sources of nutrients are OK. Terrestrial based foods should be minimized, and should not be staples. :)

My girls have never been much into super green, so I went for a different route. New Life Spectrum recently introduced an all-algae pellet into the market called Algaemax. They have a gel powder mix as well, but I opted for the pellet because I did not know how the gel would be accepted by them.

I mixed it in with their usual pellets (Hikari Lionhead and Thera A) and so far I've been really, really pleased with the results. I highly suggest using this as part of their diet! They're very fond of it as well. :D

Ingredient list

Guaranteed Analysis

All my fish took very well to the gel food (Soilent Green), except for Nimrod, my oldest. She kept spitting it out. After realizing that this was her new staple diet, though, she started eating it with gusto. :-)

All my fish have been doing much better since I switched them over to gel food as the primary food source. I highly recommend it. I also feed Hikari pellets once a week, just to be sure they're getting a bit of a variety.

I tried dropping veggies in my boyfriend's tanks once, only to return the next week and find them covered in mold. He said he didn't want to upset me by removing the food I left in there ... ahh!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ingredient list

Guaranteed Analysis

All my fish took very well to the gel food (Soilent Green), except for Nimrod, my oldest. She kept spitting it out. After realizing that this was her new staple diet, though, she started eating it with gusto. :-)

All my fish have been doing much better since I switched them over to gel food as the primary food source. I highly recommend it. I also feed Hikari pellets once a week, just to be sure they're getting a bit of a variety.

I tried dropping veggies in my boyfriend's tanks once, only to return the next week and find them covered in mold. He said he didn't want to upset me by removing the food I left in there ... ahh!

I love agar agar, and when I was making my own gel food, I was using it as the binder. :)

Here's how I have worked it out for myself. In our efforts to try to find a good diet for our goldfish, it's important to remember that we will not be able to approximate nature, unless we are housing them in outside ponds/lakes. Second best would be to offer them organisms/foods that they might encounter were they outside, such as blood worms, daphnia, algae and other green matters. After that, aquatic sources of nutrients are OK. Terrestrial based foods should be minimized, and should not be staples. :)

Very well put and I agree. I thought about it long and hard last night. I do not have a pond so I will provide her with the best of what is available and there are many great recipes in the "Gel food for floatiness"

Thank you Alex. :)

Ingredient list

Guaranteed Analysis

Ingredient list

Guaranteed Analysis

I was a little worried about possible floatiness from the Repashy so I opted to go the Agar Agar route. It smells ALOT better than the soilent green when you are making it up.

My husband use to think the kitchen smelled like a swamp when I would mix up the Repashy. :rofl

This time when I was making the Agar receipe he walked in and asked "what was for dinner?" :blink::tomuch:

Edited by Fluffy

My local health food store has agar agar, I'll give it a try soon. :teehee

When they're backed up, feeding the Algae food alone for a day or so seems to be magical, maybe I can do something similar with agar agar and seaweed sheets, but also add in some delicious veggies. Veeeeeeery glad to hear it doesn't smell as terrifying. :rofl3