I realized that I have not updated on the - to me - most intriguing fish in my tanks: Sucky Fishie, the common pleco with the most original name.

Backstory: I got him/her five years ago when I first started out with fish keeping in my adult life. Knowing Jack about any fish, I started out with eight goldfish and two common plecos in an uncycled 10 gallon tank.

Sucky Fishie was one of the original inhabitants of this tank, made it through the cycling process that killed about 85% of my fish back then - original inhabitants as well as replacements for the ones that were "naturally dying because fish don't live long". :doh11:

As you can imagine, I was very ignorant back then and had no idea that "sucker fish" would grow big and are generally not the ideal tank mates for goldfish. However, thanks to Koko's I learned a lot of things about all sort of fish. Yet I could not part with Sucky Fishie, because it was my fault that he was in my tank, and I did and still do not feel comfortable with the thought of giving him away and submit him to a to me unknown care.

I bought him, so he was my responsibility. Pushing him off to make him someone else's problem seemed extremely wrong and unfair to me.

Instead, I try to accommodate him as much as possible, and during the half decade he lived with me and my goldfish, he has been the nicest guy ever - or girl, although I tend to think of the fish as a boy.

Unfortunately his growth may have been inhibited due to the extended improper care he received from me back when I didn't know any better, and at five plus years old he is only about 9-10 inches long. I am sure he would have grown bigger in the care of an educated person, but there is nothing I can change about that now.

Anyway, here are some pics and a video of my big boy, whom I love to death.

Even stunted, he could easily fit my pinky finger into his mouth :rofl

100_9426_zps2401d71d.jpg

I love his eyes with their "omega iris". It is so cool how the iris (the light circle at the top of the pupil) will expand or contract depending on the level of light, covering more or less of the pupil. In high light the pupil will be crescent shaped, looking like an upside down Omega symbol.
100_9427_zps6a057c46.jpg

Moved him into one of my 6 quart tubs for the photo shoot.

Size comparison to your standard ceramic ring

100_9454_zps187208ad.jpg

100_9452_zpsa975a31c.jpg

100_9455_zps7581a47b.jpg

This photo makes me think of a banana-gun :rofl2

100_9453_zps1e047c9c.jpg

And here the short video. As you see, this giant is actually quite gentle :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

:thud he is gorgeous.

This just reminded me, I found a local seller (local to me, in New Jersey :rofl) that had the green pleco you want.

• Supporter

He looks so happy with you holding him lol.

Was he hard to catch? I remember when I had one maybe a little bigger before I rehomed him that he would run into the walls of the tank so hard that I thought he was going to really hurt himself. :(

But anyway you look like you are doing a great job with him. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

He looks so happy with you holding him lol.

Was he hard to catch? I remember when I had one maybe a little bigger before I rehomed him that he would run into the walls of the tank so hard that I thought he was going to really hurt himself. :(

He does that too. The process of catching him in the first place can be really freaky, because if I don't get him quickly enough, he too will run into walls and try to jump out of the tank. I only dare to try catching him if I drained the tank down to about 25%, that makes it a lot easier.

Then I have to be very gentle, but quick and pin his pectorals to his body to get a good grip on him and to keep him from struggling too hard.

Handling him gently and carefully as in the video does not seem to bother him too much though :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

You obviously have a great relationship with your fishie. Thanks for sharing the photos and video. His coloration would make a beautiful fabric design.

i recently had to re-home my common plec had him for some time but he out grew my 55 gal and he wasnt the most docile of his breed :(

but i had a friend that had room in a 150 gal with just the one oscar and, he seems to have setteld in well thankfully.

but i think its mostly due to him not been the most aggersive fish in that tank,

he really wanted to be the only one in my 55gal lol greedy git

but i'm glad yours is of the calmer personality and, he looks healthy and most of all colourful,

its when they go dull for long periods of time you have to worry :).

What a lovely tribute to your sucky fish! You can tell his is really loved :heart