Sign in to follow this  
goldylove

4ft tank update

it has been a while since i've posted but this is how my tank looks these days. not the clearest, or straightest photo but you get the idea! my 4 goldies going well (& getting bigger) & have 3 apple snails to help with the algae. did a big clean of the main driftwood & anubias a couple of weeks ago & got all the algae off it. there's a couple of banana lillies in there which would look really nice if the lilypads didnt keep getting eaten! also removed what was left of a large amount of wisteria that was picked clean down to the stem. at least the java fern has been off the menu...

IMG_20140517_133225_998_zps42297c58.jpg

oh and this is what it looked like when i first set it up...12102012414.jpg

Beautiful tank! I love your driftwood and all the plants.

Gorgeous Comets, beautiful tank set up! Watching your tank remains me that after a while I have to buy a bigger tank or another 50 gal. Short tail Goldfish are growing and some of them have impressive size.

Beautiful tank and fish!!:-)

It is very beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Your comet is gorgeous :)

Oh, my! It's beautiful!!! I love the driftwood. :)

Wow, I love your tank.

Gorgeous! Love all the driftwood! :heart

And your goldies have grown a lot! :)

You have a beautiful tank.

I like both the before and after pictures.

thanks all! the big orange comet was my first fish. he was in a 2 ft tank for a while & when i put him in the 4ft he had a big growth spurt, it was quite interesting to see. he is currently the biggest at about 7 inches including tail & was approx 2 inches long in the "before" photo. he is very cheeky & energetic & likes to flick water out of the tank on a regular basis! i would love to upgrade to a 6ft tank & see how big they can all get & also get some more fish & plants & everything. there is a fantastic 6 x 2 x 2 ft one at the lfs which would be awesome, if not a little intimidating! i'd like a yellow comet & something with white. my fantail was mostly white when i got it & now is 90% orange. im thinking maybe a different background in the future, something lighter so my black moor can be seen a bit better. and i'd like to learn to take some decent clear photos so i can share! :P

Beautiful tank!!!

Very pretty! I really like it! :)

What a beautiful tank! :)
Do the apple snails help a lot against the algae? Your tank looks really algae free :)

Your tank and fish are amazing!! :thumb:

What a beautiful tank! :)

Do the apple snails help a lot against the algae? Your tank looks really algae free :)

i had a huge problem with black beard algae a while ago & before the snails. i used aqua-pics no more black beard, which is like flourish excel but stronger. it worked pretty well but the evil stuff always comes back & i forget to dose the tank! there's still a little bit of it around but cant really notice it unless you look for it. i pulled out the large driftwood & literally scrubbed the algae off it with a scourer & soaked the anubias in 1:20 bleach bath which worked beautifully in cleaning the algae off the leaves & turned the bba white & it fell off after a week or so. i think the snails help somewhat, especially on the spray arm & intake which looks pretty good since i got them. i dont think they eat the beard algae tho?. i think it helps a lot having a green looking tank too, you really dont notice much algae & i just get the little bits i see here or there with a scourer. i like it to look clean but not sterile, a little bit of algae is ok in my tank!

Edited by goldylove

thanks for your answer, soaking the anubias in a bleach bath is good tip, I´ll will try this :)
and maybe I put some apple snails in my tank, too, they are pretty :)

Lovely tank!!

thanks for your answer, soaking the anubias in a bleach bath is good tip, I´ll will try this :)

and maybe I put some apple snails in my tank, too, they are pretty :)

i forgot to add, after bleaching make sure you soak them in fresh water with extra prime in it to neutralise any leftover bleach. they will go from feeling slimy to feeling normal again.

thanks, I will have this in mind :)