Cutaneous Mycobactariosis

LouiseAnn

Hi all. A friend has confirmed that fish being purchased from my lfs have cutaneous mycobactariosis [emoji33]

Just wanted to know if others have experienced this and if they too have gone against vet recommendation and not culled entire colony and thrown out everything?!

I have spent hrs researching and have come across a few points I would like to discuss.

1. Can fishes immune system fight it if MB per ml are kept low enough

2. Will a UV sterilizer keep the MB count low enough?

3. What is the risk to me and my dogs?

Thank you :)

This is the only recent documentation I could find about piscine mycobacteriosis.

https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/231/

If you or anyone develops large red bumps on the body after being in contact with the fish, seek medical attention ASAP.

Edited by Chai

Louise, could you explain to me what exactly is cutaneous mycobacteriosis, as well as the symptoms? I am very familiar with mycobacterial diseases, and this is the first that I've heard of such a thing. May be the name is throwing me off.

Thanks.

Same symptoms as tiger if your memory is good ;)

I can post a pic of the vet report if it helps?

This is the only recent documentation I could find about piscine mycobacteriosis.

If you or anyone develops large red bumps on the body after being in contact with the fish, seek medical attention ASAP.

Thank you. My Tiger showed symptoms late last year and squizzy early this year. I have had a two more deaths since then, however I have not had an outbreak... O_o

I can, and I did! Thank you! :)

It's so strange that they decided to call it cutaneous, but I do understand what they mean now.

MTb is rather prevalent aqua hobby, so I don't think it's anything you can do to eradicate it. Certainly, you can't treat it, at least at the hobby level.

MTb is the same is Tb in humans. There are a variety of factors which influence how a fish may or may not because susceptible to the disease, unfortunately. The UV may help, but what's clear is that you should avoid that seller -- permanently.

I'm glad you got an answer to this huge problem. :)

It's so strange that they decided to call it cutaneous, but I do understand what they mean now.

MTb is rather prevalent aqua hobby, so I don't think it's anything you can do to eradicate it. Certainly, you can't treat it, at least at the hobby level.

MTb is the same is Tb in humans. There are a variety of factors which influence how a fish may or may not because susceptible to the disease, unfortunately. The UV may help, but what's clear is that you should avoid that seller -- permanently.

Is there anything else I can do for my fish? Or do I just enjoy them until they are all gone and start fresh?

What about my health. Would you recommend getting rid of them completely?

:(

• Supporter

I have to ask do you meen big red sore bumbs like this?

ysy4u8eh.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This is the only recent documentation I could find about piscine mycobacteriosis.https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/231/

I have to ask do you meen big red sore bumbs like this?[imgx=http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/ysy4u8eh.jpg]

Those look like mosquito bites to me. :teehee

You can google image search "fish tank mycobacteria" for images of what it looks like when it's transmitted to a person and develops the red bumps. They're very .... Pronounced.

I agree with Alex, I would avoid that store entirely. :(

Do you notice anything with your fish? Were they purchased during the time these findings were discovered at the location?

• Supporter

Is there anything else I can do for my fish? Or do I just enjoy them until they are all gone and start fresh?

i suggest getting pond gloves to do waterchanges if you have concern for your health.. and for anyone else who does also.

ysy4u8eh.jpg

daniel, that is terrible. do you know what the background is of those blemishes?

Is that a local seller? If so, I would contact the proper authorities. Since this can be transmitted to humans, I would think that the seller or their supplier should be not only notified, but forced into proper action to treat this.

ysy4u8eh.jpg

Like this

3uvyde7e.jpg

Is that a local seller? If so, I would contact the proper authorities. Since this can be transmitted to humans, I would think that the seller or their supplier should be not only notified, but forced into proper action to treat this.

Chelsea, I doubt that this would result in much. Mtb is most likely present in every tank in some amount, including in yours and mine. :/

Like this

Chelsea, I doubt that this would result in much. Mtb is most likely present in every tank in some amount, including in yours and mine. :/

If it is in such high amounts that it is causing an issue, why not? The seller/supplier is selling fish that could kill off tanks and potentially effect people because they are actively infected.

Chelsea,

I don't know that it's in such high amounts. As I said before, the determinants of susceptibility is multifactorial, which includes genetics. Take tuberculosis in humans, for example. Not all of us who are exposed to it get sick, and of those who get sick, some get really sick, from the same bug and exposure.

Of course, you can call the relevant offices, but I don't think they will do anything. I think this is one of those hazards of the hobby, which in reality, is not that big of a hazard, unless you are severely immunocompromised. However, if that's the case, you can be affected from many other things, including your other pets, or even from your gardening.

• Supporter

i suggest getting pond gloves to do waterchanges if you have concern for your health.. and for anyone else who does also.

ysy4u8eh.jpg

daniel, that is terrible. do you know what the background is of those blemishes?

No they are not bug bites though. They are related to the extreme leg pain ive been having. The doctor is doing blood test and will go from there.

Ps sorry to hijack the thread.

Alex,

Then why be worried about her buying from the seller again? I just don't think that it would be very responsible to not contact the proper authorities and possibly save future prospective buyers a hassle.

This thread has brought up concerns for me. :scared I have frequent stress-induced immunosuppression (of which my lungs are the first to go) and the thought of becoming sick from something like this lurking in my fish tank worries me. I understand this thread is not meant to create panic but I almost forget how easily I can come down with upper respiratory infections, one of which is TB.

I have not had TB before, but I think gloves are in order.

Edited by Chai

Alex,

Then why be worried about her buying from the seller again? I just don't think that it would be very responsible to not contact the proper authorities and possibly save future prospective buyers a hassle.

Be worried because there is something about the fish that make them that much more susceptible to infection.

You remember the journal article I posted last year about all the pathogens (humans included) found in the waters of aquarium stores in Providence, Rhode Island.

Daniel, fish granuloma lesions appear at sites where you have cuts, which are then subsequently splashed with contaminated tank water. Are those areas that you've gotten tank water on?

Alex,

Be worried because there is something about the fish that make them that much more susceptible to infection.

You remember the journal article I posted last year about all the pathogens (humans included) found in the waters of aquarium stores in Providence, Rhode Island.Daniel, fish granuloma lesions appear at sites where you have cuts, which are then subsequently splashed with contaminated tank water. Are those areas that you've gotten tank water on?

I don't think I read that article, I just remember you bringing it up. I'm not surprised, though...I'll go find it.

I hope the doctors find a reason for your sores, Daniel. Please don't be fish-related or staph infections. :scared

• Supporter

Alex,

You remember the journal article I posted last year about all the pathogens (humans included) found in the waters of aquarium stores in Providence, Rhode Island.

Daniel, fish granuloma lesions appear at sites where you have cuts, which are then subsequently splashed with contaminated tank water. Are those areas that you've gotten tank water on?

No its was just a passing concern when I read it. I dont believe it has anything to do with this.

Thats why I said sorry for hijacking the thread.

There's that. I am going to have to refresh myself on that article. It's been awhile.

I wonder how many more stores that supplier sells to. It might be useful to find out for those who are in that area of Australia to weigh in on their experiences with those particular stores to see if it is the supplier vs. the store.

A very good idea, I think, is to call the store and inform them of the diagnosis, Louise. Tell them that you won't be buying from the store until he changes supplier.

Alex,

No its was just a passing concern when I read it. I dont believe it has anything to do with this.

Daniel, my youngest get mosquito bites that swell up and hurt very badly. They look exactly like that. Are you sure they're not mosquito related? Spider maybe?

• Supporter

Alex,

Daniel, my youngest get mosquito bites that swell up and hurt very badly. They look exactly like that. Are you sure they're not mosquito related? Spider maybe?
Yes im sure and yhe doctor agrees. Its not the only symptom I have aswell. Im also lossing blood though my bowls, have have joint pain, swollen limpnodes, cant eat, loss of appetite, fever, night sweets.