Summer has finally arrived and now I've got bugs.

goldfish newbie

Ok so my house has a few holes here and there and with the warm weather bugs are swarming my house. Like i found this weird beetle. It's the size and shape of a really long grain of rice and its brown. I wake up to them tapping in my room. Or centipedes. Can i feed some of them to my goldfish? has anyone else fed live bugs to their fish?

I would not feed anything I didn't know what it was to my goldfish.

Mine like ants and mosquitoes, and the occasional fly, but I would never feed centipedes due to their poison or beetles unless i knew they weren't poisonous.

The other thing to worry about is if the bugs have ingested/walked through any kind of toxin. We get crickets here all summer and I have had the passing thought to give them to our bearded dragons, but not worth the chance, let alone any parasite they might carry! :(

• 2 months later...

In a pond setting goldfish will generally eat anything that falls in the water :idont (I am hearing sharon speaking in the back of my mind right now lol)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my boyfriend has cockroaches in his apartment (gross, I know - the landlord has been in Croatia for the last 9 months and needs to agree to treat the whole complex. All the units are infested!) The nasty things regularly fall into the tanks. I've seen the fish try to eat them, but they always spit them out quickly. Maybe the shell is too hard. That has me thinking goldfish (at least mine) will not eat any type of beetle with a similar shell.