Taming the GAS (goldfish acquisition syndrome)

So my partner has been banning me from going anywhere that sells goldfish as there's a bunch of fry that we're trying to grow out and to minimize the likelihood of acquiring some more.

Being a total fish addict, I went to one just one pet store to have a look. As odds are always against me, I rarely find anything that I like so I thought it was safe.

Until I found these guys!!!

20140508_105133_resized_zps9c5a4383.jpg

20140508_105148_resized_zpsd57dafd9.jpg

I really like the black oranda on the left....

I've been obsessing over it and trying to find room. I've been given permission to set up two 4 ft tanks but these are only for my fry to grow out. So I have to say no but part of me is saying "it's okay. I can just have the fry in one tank and make a display out of the other." Then I look at the logistics of it all as in having to cycle tanks, water changes and testing and that I already have many fish and that I'm being greedy.

What I want to know is:

How do you stop at what you've got? How do you say no to that cute goldfish in the shop? How do you tame the GAS?

I'm finding it really really hard at the moment

Frangles,

If you already have a cycled tank, take some of that media and put it in a filter of your new tank and you will have the start of a new cycle, maybe even enough to cut the cycle time in half or more. But, as always, you still need to finish it.

I tame GAS by only buying fish that I am completely and 100% in love with. If there is even one second thought, then I do not buy it. That's my rule.

Well, it's hard. I have a few techniques.

1) I tell myself I am fully stocked and am not allowed any more. This is repeated over and over before I go to a lfs.

2) I try not to go to the lfs with good goldfish - if I have to get something from the good fish stores I call ahead and send either my husband or brother in law to pic up the food or whatever I need. Usually this isn't too much of a problem as most supplies are cheaper online or at the big box store where I tend not to like their fish.

3) I don't go to a good lfs without my husband - he helps to keep me in line.

When these fail I employ the following:

4) By a plant or other accessory for the tank and tell myself (a) this purchase is improving the environment for the fish I have and (b) I can't afford to buy both (this is often not true, but I tell myself that anyway :) ). This, especially the plant buying, is very effective.

5) Go home and do a large WC on all my tanks. I then remind myself that if I get another fish I'll have to do this much more frequently. Sore muscles from all the buckets usually convince me not to return to the store.

• Helper

I tell myself that

1)I'm already fully stocked

2)If I added anymore fish now I would be doing water changes twice a week and I don't have time

3)I don't have room for another tank and I already have 2 others

4)If i got this fish now I wouldn't be able to choose another to celebrate when I eventually upgrade

But it IS really hard and there have been times when I've stared at a certain fish for a LONG time before walking away, I've even contemplated names and how it would go in my tank and such xD But I just tell myself it's better for the fish I have now if I don't have anymore - and that's the reason I gave up four of them 3 years ago ,when I knew how overstocked I was, I can't add more and create the same problem again.

I used to be really good at controlling my GAS. :rofl3

But lately I have not been the prime example. :whistle Like Bronwyn, I find that buying plants really helps to curb it. I think you just need to find your mantra for when you walk into the store, one that is relevant to your setup/situation. In this case, it sounds like you need to keep the space for your fry, so they have the opportunity to develop as beautifully as the orandas in that store.

It's tough, but it's a fair tradeoff that is absolutely worth it. You may come to a point where you have too many, and either space or maintenance is compromised. And that is no good :idont

:goodluck

GAS is a problem. I just bought a 40 gal breeder tank. I'm not the person to inspire you for this issue, but I wish all the best :)

I tame GAS by only buying fish that I am completely and 100% in love with. If there is even one second thought, then I do not buy it. That's my rule.

This is the best way to go about it! :)

For every new fish, it requires more time, effort, and quarantine. Don't overwhelm yourself and you'll enjoy fish keeping a lot more. :heart

I'm also fully stocked now and adore my ladies so I can just browse and admire without any temptation. My LFS generally doesn't have much to tempt me with. They always have cute baby fish (lately Lionheads and Ranchu!) wiggling their way over to say hello. :heart I just spend a little time talking to them (thankfully my LFS doesn't find this weird because they do it too) and go on my way. :rofl

This is the best way to go about it! :)

For every new fish, it requires more time, effort, and quarantine. Don't overwhelm yourself and you'll enjoy fish keeping a lot more. :heart

I'm also fully stocked now and adore my ladies so I can just browse and admire without any temptation. My LFS generally doesn't have much to tempt me with. They always have cute baby fish (lately Lionheads and Ranchu!) wiggling their way over to say hello. :heart I just spend a little time talking to them (thankfully my LFS doesn't find this weird because they do it too) and go on my way. :rofl

I am no help either. I'm usually pretty good at saying 'no' but sometimes it is so hard. Chai - I definitely can't start talking to them...once I do that we get into a conversation about how they would love to come home with me...and please, please take me...(wiggle, wiggle) :). I know it's probably just a food dance...but I'm almost positive they are saying..."take me with you" :)

It also helps to leave room for one more fish in your tanks so that when that perfect fish comes along, you are able to get him/her. Of course, this is easier said than done ... my tanks are all fully stocked at the moment!

I rarely find the perfect fish as the ones sold at the LFSs here are usually seriously malnourished, with any number of diseases. In fact, I didn't realize that healthy fancy goldfish are supposed to be quite chubby until I came here. However, I found this adorable, fat red ranchu at Petsmart last year, and just couldn't resist! So I definitely know the feeling.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Supporter

GAS is a serious problem!!!! :teehee I'm an enabler, so I can't offer advice on how to curb your GAS, but I can certainly sympathize. It is always super tempting and mt heart easily melts when I see cute wiggle butts at the store. I recently succumbed to a GAS situation and picked up a ranchu for the tank. I am now fully stocked, but I have dreams of one day getting a larger tank so I can get more goldies. Ahhhh, the joys of GAS.

I'm fully stocked at 15 gallons per fish. So I tell myself a few things:

1) It's irresponsible. I am very busy with work, friends, and my other pets If I were to overstock my tank that would put more stress on me and the fish. It's not fair to any of them

2) I'm in love with the fish I have! They are cute, loving and happy (We are going through some trouble but everyone is healing so I believe they are happy still), I have a variety of my favorite goldfish breeds and I don't have any new fish I'm really looking for.

I also do things to make sure I don't get tempted:

1) I don't go on sites like DO or RG. I enjoy pictures posted on her of them but I never go to the actual sites.

2) I'll buy a plant here and there.

3) I make a point to keep things basic so I don't get overwelmed.

4) When I go to the pet store I allow myself to look and enjoy the fish. I'm not as attracted to the little guys as I am to the DO and RG fish :P

5) I put my focus on other things. Like switching to veganism, taking pictures of my current fish, taking pictures in general, reading up on Game of Thrones and playing with my little brother. Basically when I get the itch I take on a new challenge or do something I love :)

Awesome guys! Thanks for the input! You've given me some great ideas.

I've always been happy with my fish so I've decided to go and build a fish tank stand to keep me busy. I have to build a rack to fit the two 4 footers in. Should be fun :)

• Supporter

you know, i USED to have this problem (please do not consider the fact that i have 5 new fish currently :rofl ) but the thing is, i have the room to house and care for 70 goldfish and i only have 8 in total.

what most members fail to understand is that goldfish fall ill relatively easy. and also as Murphy's Law will have it, the moment you step outside your house for 2-3 days, you're almost ALWAYS coming home to sick fish!.

never stock an amount of goldfish that will become all too difficult to QT should 2-3 of them fall ill with different things that require different treatments.

never stock too many goldfish (ie, always remain WELL understocked) if you're a fan of travelling from time to time and ESPECIALLY if no one in your immediate family or circle of friends can be trusted to carry out responsible water changes during your absence.

there are other things to consider.. ie, if you live in an area which suffers regular power outages or powerful storms, tornadoes etc.. times of emergency, your focus needs to be on your family's safety.. we goldfish people are big enthusiasts, we worry about the slightest issue with our goldfish. during a time of emergency, you will be more stressed with an overstocked tank on your mind because you generally see it as YOUR responsibility. (this one is a bit of an extreme example, BUT, it's real and quite a few of us have experienced situations like these on more than one occasion).

when your tank is understocked, maintenance and stress levels is relaxed.