How to save rotting anubias?

With my ordered plants I also received three free bonus plants. One of them, an anubias barteri "round leaf" has quite a bit of rot going on on the rhizome, focused on the "younger" part of the rhizome.

I would like to try to salvage at least part of the plant, even if it is very small. After all it was free, so I can't really complain.

Should it work to carefully slice off the "healthy" part of the rhizome, even though it is the older part without any leaves? Should this produce new growth on that piece of the plant?

I am not going to bleach dip the plant as I do with the others, since it already is affected by rot. I am sure the bleach would just kill it. Just gonna keep it in QT for now.

Here are some pics. You can see the roots are firm and green on the older part, but pale and soft on the newer part of the rhizome that is rotting. Most of the leaves appear unaffected, but I am sure it is only a matter of time.

Anyway, any experience and/or ideas?

You see the difference in healthy roots to the right and bad ones to the left. The newer part of the rhizome has developed into a small fort. The side shown in this pic is much more affected, you can see base of the leaves on this side deteriorate.

100_9244_zpsa943f6ba.jpg

100_9245_zps9d2aa8df.jpg

The rot on the rhizome seems to start just about the edge of my thumb nail. The right side of the rhizome seems less affected, but in the third photo you can see that it already spreads out.

100_9248_zpsbe94c012.jpg

Ah yes, the dreaded rhizome rot. :yikes

I've saved a couple plants from this. I cut off the rotted part plus just a little bit passed the rotted part, maybe 1/4 inch or so. Some have recovered for me, some haven't. :thumbdown

Good luck!

Agreed. Cut off the rotting part of the rhizome. The rest of the plant looks good. My anubias was the only plant that didn't melt when I planted my tank. With proper conditions it should bounce back. Will you be fertilizing the water column?

Edited by marka83

Cut it immediately, Fang. Try to keep your healthy plants away from these guys, as it can, and will spread. I was dealing with this for quite a while, and it took out about 100 bucks in anubias. :( I still have to trim now and then, but it's much more under control. :peeka

Cut it immediately, Fang. Try to keep your healthy plants away from these guys, as it can, and will spread. I was dealing with this for quite a while, and it took out about 100 bucks in anubias. :( I still have to trim now and then, but it's much more under control. :peeka

I already trimmed it! I'm keeping the affected plant away from the others anyway. The rest will be bleach dipped tomorrow, the trimmed piece will remain in QT for a while.

I already trimmed it! I'm keeping the affected plant away from the others anyway. The rest will be bleach dipped tomorrow, the trimmed piece will remain in QT for a while.

The thing that I found helped the most is checking the plants daily. Any plant that begins to look affected should be trimmed immediately. I hope your plants bounce back quickly. :(:hug

I really hope that it stays small for you. It decimated my anubias population in such a short time. :( I'm afraid to buy anymore plants becase of it, you know? I'm buying other plants now. :peeka

I usually trim off the rotting parts and scrub what's left with a toothbrush I sterlize and use only for plants. If you keep the rhizomes clean, I've found that the plant stays healthier. If anything begins to grow on the rhizomes or stems, scrub scrub scrub!

A dirty plant can be the death the plant. :( This plant can certainly be saved, it seems. Don't be afraid to snip snip as long as there's SOME teeny tiny bit rhizome left. I've used scissors to "shave" yucky top layers off and it pulled through.

Edited by Chai