Need help with diagnosis and treatment

Lucky I was thinking with my wallet and it actually led to good results. A secondary bacterial infection made sense in the wake of his ich infection. He probably contracted it on the tail end of that treatment because that's when he started to become lethargic. Hopefully he continues to improve. Thanks again for the support. I've learned quite a bit so far.

He's on day three of antibiotics. More active, still eating, and the right gill is beginning to function more especially when he eats. His feces looks healthy. Looks like he is on his way to recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

He fell ill again after a week or so. Started bottom sitting again but he was eating. All other fish were normal. He looked like he had white patches on his scales. Not growths but discoloration. I was planning to take him to a guy I trust at my lfs but he passed away last night. Still scratching my head on this one.

Edited by marka83

He fell ill again after a week or so. Started bottom sitting again but he was eating. All other fish were normal. He looked like he had white patches on his scales. Not growths but discoloration. I was planning to take him to a guy I trust at my lfs but he passed away last night. Still scratching my head on this one.

How long was he treated for? It sounds like he was having thickened slimecoat, which is like ectoparasites.

I'm so sorry. :(

Almost a week of prazi with no change then four doses of furan as directed. Then I reintroduced him to the main tank, which had two doses of prazi. He was ok initially. Then went south pretty fast. Feels like he was immuno compromised in some way. Maybe I should kept him in the qt tank longer after antibacterial treatment and introduced tank water slowly? Just hated the idea of having him in the qt tank for so long.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave him such care and attention. There are so many variables involved in taking care of goldfish. Thank you for doing what you could.

Others will need to chime in about preventative treatment.

Edited by LisaCGold

Any preventative treatment for the main tank I can do? It's heavily planted.

Any signs of issues in the tank? Has the main tank been treated with prazi?

The main tank has had two rounds of prazi as directed on the bottle. There are no signs of health issues with any other fish, which are one shubunkin and two siamese algae eaters (which are leaving once I can get them out). The shubunkin has never showed signs of any health issue. Seems like the black moor was susceptible to something in my tank. I want to get another shubunkin, possibly from rain garden since I'm on the west coast, but if I spend $100+ on a fish with shipping I want to ensure the health of my tank. I understand there is no way to rid the tank of every pathogen. So I guess best practice will be my quarantine. It will allow the next fish plenty of time to stabilize and have the best immune system before entering my tank...

Edited by marka83