* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.6

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API, drops

* Water temperature? 79

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gal month

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70

* How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 60%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Friday

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Both 3.5 inch bodies, two

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Three times a day NLS small pellets

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt and prazi for new fish quarantine.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Collapsed mouth

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom? No except after the incident is now stretching out her mouth a lot.

I was feeding them their night meal of peas and nami is a pig like always. She got really excited and while eating a pea half went for the one that was tryin to fed to tashi and after that she opened her mouth the widest I've ever seen. Then her mouth was stretched out for a while so I thought she had dislocated it but then she kept looking like she was trying to cough something up and noticed her left side of her mouth is now concaved in. I think she's doing this to try to get her mouth to go back to normal because there is no food visible. She was freaking out but seems to be calmer. When she closes her mouth the left side top portion is in and her bottom lip is over the top.

This is the best photo I could get. http://s628.photobucket.com/user/keepdancing/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsca061a6b.jpg.html

I am trying to upload the video now.

I am sure a mod will be along to help you soon. I hope your fish feels better! She is really beautiful!

Hope she feels better.

Can you see inside the mouth to see if the pea is stuck in there?

Are you sure the water parameters you listed are correct? It's been about 5 days since you last changed the water. There should at least be some level of nitrates at this point. Was the tank cycled before you added the fish?

Yes there is no pea what so ever. And when I checked yesterday afternoon it was still 0.....I know it's been five days. I was going to do my water change today because I normally do it twice a week. This is what her mouth looks like and I don't know what to do. She can still eat but not as easily and I can't tell if she's in pain because she is moving slower and being less wiggling compared to normal.

http://s628.photobucket.com/user/keepdancing/media/Mobile%20Uploads/trimivRe2A_zpsd50147d1.mp4.html

It really does look like there is some sort of physical obstruction. Have you lifted the fish out of the water and attempted to look down its throat?

Yup there's nothing down there. It's just her jaw area.

I'm really scared...it looks pretty bad. And I have no clue if it can be fixed :(

I can't tell from the pics or the video. Can you grab her and get a close up pic of the mouth?

I've read that if it is not broken, or being caused by a disease or something lodged in there, that sometimes you can get them to pop back in. I am not sure of the best method for that, and I am sure that it is a last ditch effort if the fish seems as though it will die without intervention.

Well when she used to open her mouth it used to be round....and now it looks like a figure 8. And no because I won't be home for several hours but I will once I get home.

When I look at it closely it looks like something is misaligned.

And you are sure it happened during feeding, right? Both corners are collapsed? I know that this can be caused by untreated flukes, for example. Not saying that's what it is in your case, but just saying.

I myself have a fish like that. It looks like some invisible force is pinching the corners of the mouth close to each other and was probably caused by untreated flukes before I got her.

Just in case: should your fish not go back to normal, make sure to provide small foods that can fit in/through the mouth of the fish. If you feed pellets, make sure to buy a SMALL size pellet (I love Omega One small sinking pellets), stuff like blood worms and other frozen foods, as well as a steady supply of fresh, blanched vegetables to continuously graze on.

Of course, soft gel food is also fantastic for fish with this issue.

However, I hope your fish gets better!

When was the last time you treated her for flukes? :idont

The last time was beginning of February and no it's just her left side that is pinched and I'm positive it was after she took the pea because she started freaking out.

I'm just really worried she might be in a lot of pain as it looks painful and she isn't as hyper as she was yesterday afternoon.

I'm just really worried she might be in a lot of pain as it looks painful and she isn't as hyper as she was yesterday afternoon.

Can someone please help?

I have reported this to the other Moderators. Personally, I am not sure what this is from the video. But, I can see that the mouth is off and reddening.

Edited by jmetzger72

ok...i guess ill try to find a vet then...

Someone will be around to help, don't fret! Keep her comfortable for now. :hug

The mods really do try to get to everyone but it's that time of the year where school is ending for the semester and everything in general gets a little chaotic. I'm sorry if you feel ignored, but please don't give up just yet. As long as she's stable right now, there's no need to panic. :heart I've have yet to see a mod ignore something like this. :bighug

Edited by Chai

Is she still eating? Do you see any swelling or redness?

It's entirely possible that it's dislocated but fish have an incredible ability to heal, much faster than us for sure. Since we can't do what we would do with a human in this cause (cast, brace, etc) it may just end up healing as is and functioning normally regardless.

Are you sure the water parameters you listed are correct? It's been about 5 days since you last changed the water. There should at least be some level of nitrates at this point. Was the tank cycled before you added the fish?

I too always have 0 nitrates in my tanks. I think this is probably due to larger water changes (95% weekly), but not sure as I have heard of people doing much more frequent WCs than me who still have nitrate problems. My tanks are definitely cycled and fully stocked, and I never have ammonia or nitrite, either. I wonder why this is.

Akamozu, I hope your fish feels better soon!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*