Water Lettuce

OK, I'll keep looking. I'm a bit challenged when it comes to the internet. :tomuch:

Thanks for the tip. :D

Here is one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16850&pcatid=16850

The 18" diameter is just too big for my tank.

Here is another one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16852&pcatid=16852

2' diameter with 18" depth--much too big for tank.

I wish there was one that had a 12" diameter or smaller.

The 18" one is very flexible, and fit perfectly in my 40b. It took up one half of the tank. I had floating plants for about a year, and they did amazing!

I have the oval one. It's actually pretty large. It's snug across the top of my 120-gallon tank. But does provide lots of room for the plants to multiply.

The only thing with making your own is to be sure gills can't get caught on it like a gill net and/or come loose and fall onto your fish.

Your fish will still try to get to the roots. Mine do ;)

What size is your tank again?

30 gallon, hoping to upgrade in the summer but realistically it may be late fall. When I upgrade there may be space.

OK, I'll keep looking. I'm a bit challenged when it comes to the internet. :tomuch:

Here is one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16850&pcatid=16850

Here is another one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16852&pcatid=16852

The 18" one is very flexible, and fit perfectly in my 40b. It took up one half of the tank. I had floating plants for about a year, and they did amazing!

I was going to upgrade to 55 gallon, but lately been thing of a 40b. The width of a 40b would be great for one of those plant floaters.

Why did you stop having floating plants?

I have the oval one. It's actually pretty large. It's snug across the top of my 120-gallon tank. But does provide lots of room for the plants to multiply.

The only thing with making your own is to be sure gills can't get caught on it like a gill net and/or come loose and fall onto your fish.

Your fish will still try to get to the roots. Mine do ;)

I love to make things like that, but with my schedule buying is probably more realistic. Not decided though. Thanks for the advice. Jack will definitely try to get to the roots and make Jack snacks out of them! Edited by LisaCGold

I was going to upgrade to 55 gallon, but lately been thing of a 40b. The width of a 40b would be great for one of those plant floaters.

I loved them, and didn't want to stop with them, actually. I was having a terrible hair algae outbreak, at the time, and it was getting caught up in the roots of the floaters. Finally, I just decided to change to a lower lighting, and they didn't do so well after. I would definitely have them again, though. They were really a lot of fun. :)

This is just my personal preference, but I totally prefer the proportions of a 40b over a 55, even though they hold very similar amounts of water.

Get the 40. :peeka

40b is the best! It actually holds about 47g in water. :)

Okay, you got me convinced. Now I'm waiting for my time to free up a bit so I can have some fun with the upgrade! Thanks!

Okay, you got me convinced. Now I'm waiting for my time to free up a bit so I can have some fun with the upgrade! Thanks!
I'm not sure if you'll be putting it on a stand or something but make sure it can fit 36"L x 18"W x 16"H :D:heart Edited by Chai

I'm not sure if you'll be putting it on a stand or something but make sure it can fit 36"L x 18"W x 16"H :D:heart

Yup, looking for a stand/cabinet will be part of the upgrade project, including figuring out what to do with the existing 30 gallon tank and cabinet. (I thought about upgrading my shrimp tank to the 30 gallon, but not yet convinced I want a shrimp tank that big.) I assume you have a 40b. If so, how many goldfish do you have in it?

I'm not sure if you'll be putting it on a stand or something but make sure it can fit 36"L x 18"W x 16"H :D:heart

Yup, looking for a stand/cabinet will be part of the upgrade project, including figuring out what to do with the existing 30 gallon tank and cabinet. (I thought about upgrading my shrimp tank to the 30 gallon, but not yet convinced I want a shrimp tank that big.) I assume you have a 40b. If so, how many goldfish do you have in it?

I have two pretty girls in it. :)

I'm running two AC 70s on it, a fluval heater (it drops at night here and one of my fish is sensitive to temps below 65°) and planted it with plenty of anubias. c:

Edited by Chai

OMG, that is so cool! The water lettuce look very healthy. Plus your tank is beautiful! Thank you so much for the pictures. That really helps!

Edited by LisaCGold

OMG, that is so cool! The water lettuce look very healthy. Plus your tank is beautiful! Thank you so much for the pictures. That really helps!

Thanks. The water lettuce usually doubles in number every week. The "mother" plants got so huge. I love the roots though.

And thanks for the compliments. Means a lot

Glad the pics helped

Thanks. The water lettuce usually doubles in number every week. The "mother" plants got so huge. I love the roots though.

Glad the pics helped

Do you use fertilizers or excel?

Glad the pics helped

I use both Excel and dry ferts

Glad the pics helped

What dry ferts do you use? Do you use the EI method or another method?

I use dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums. I use a modified EI method.

Glad the pics helped

What dry ferts do you use? Do you use the EI method or another method?

I use dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums. I use a modified EI method.

I got my ferts from them too but use PPS-Pro method