Sign in to follow this  
LisaCGold

Water Lettuce

I'm thinking of trying water lettuce with my goldfish. What has been your experience? Your goldies tear it apart, nibble on it, kindly leave it alone? Can water lettuce handle a bleach treatment (1 part bleach, 19 parts water)?

Mine did fine with bleach.

However, they did not do fine if I had any time where I forgot to feed. The fish destroyed the root system. The mother plant still kept producing, though. They need a good amount of light to reproduce, but they can't be super close to the light or they'll burn.

Idk about the bleach. But my goldfish did not eat it. With good light it can also grow quite quickly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Water lettuce requires a lot of light and nutrients. Even in my overstocked tanks they slowly started "melting" because of lack of nutrients. Maybe they would have been fine if I had cut back on water changes, but yeah.

I read they do best in "dirty" ponds with lots of direct sun.

I have HOB filters. Will this be a problem for water lettuce?

Water lettuce requires a lot of light and nutrients. Even in my overstocked tanks they slowly started "melting" because of lack of nutrients. Maybe they would have been fine if I had cut back on water changes, but yeah.

Do you supplement with fertilizers?

Do you supplement with fertilizers?

I did, but apparently not enough. The water lettuce didn't survive :lol

Depends. The water lettuce dislikes being wet on the leave surface for an extended period of time. The little splashes that come from an air stone or the filter outlet can collect on top of the leaves, which additionally leads to rotting of the plant. The best would be to somehow confine the plants in a more quiet area of the tank where they are not permanently exposed to splashing :)

Depends. The water lettuce dislikes being wet on the leave surface for an extended period of time. The little splashes that come from an air stone or the filter outlet can collect on top of the leaves, which additionally leads to rotting of the plant. The best would be to somehow confine the plants in a more quiet area of the tank where they are not permanently exposed to splashing :)

Thank you!

Maybe I'll try just a couple pieces of water lettuce in one of the shower caddies and see if the light and nutrients are enough. I do supplement with dry fertilizers and excel.

When I had water lettuce it did pretty well :idont always worth a try! :)

I copied an idea I saw from Shakaho, and plopped the water lettuce into a strawberry container surrounded by a styrofoam thing you get with vegies in the store. Just cut it to fit around the container. :)

I purchased about five plants from

A local pond person. It quickly took over the tank. However my fish kept the roots eaten completely. I kept hoping the increase in number of plants would overwhelm the fish eating the roots. Nope :(

I ended up purchasing a floating plant ring with netting to protect floating plants. Now the plants and roots took off. The original plants got bigger than my hand and the plants more than double weekly resulting in me basically throwing them away.

I dose Excel and dry ferts using PPS-Pro method.

The roots are about five inches long.

pesajama.jpg

A local pond person. It quickly took over the tank. However my fish kept the roots eaten completely. I kept hoping the increase in number of plants would overwhelm the fish eating the roots. Nope :(

I ended up purchasing a floating plant ring with netting to protect floating plants. Now the plants and roots took off. The original plants got bigger than my hand and the plants more than double weekly resulting in me basically throwing them away.

Thank you for this! Did you purchase the floating plant ring online? If so, can you direct me?

Thank you for this! Did you purchase the floating plant ring online? If so, can you direct me?

Yes I purchased online

Www.thepondoutlet.com

Never ever ever ever disposed of them into your local waterways, they're an invasive species.

Same goes for Water Hyacinth.

I discard in trash ;)

mine got eaten ;( had them in both tanks, the yabbie pulled them down by the roots & destroyed them & the goldies ate the roots so i put them in the yabbie tank & they got eaten. they did look great for a couple of weeks tho!

Have you gotten the plants yet? How are they doing?

I'd love to try some in my tanks! :heart

Edited by Chai

Yes I purchased online

Www.thepondoutlet.com

Did you purchase netting and then added the ring to make it float or do they sell it together? I can't find it. :peeka

And my fish love to :Scoff: all my floating plants so I'd be very interested in trying something like this out. :lol2

They sell it together.

OK, I'll keep looking. I'm a bit challenged when it comes to the internet. :tomuch:

Thanks for the tip. :D

OK, I'll keep looking. I'm a bit challenged when it comes to the internet. :tomuch:

Here is one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16850&pcatid=16850

The 18" diameter is just too big for my tank.

Here is another one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16852&pcatid=16852

2' diameter with 18" depth--much too big for tank.

I wish there was one that had a 12" diameter or smaller.

You could always make one yourself! :D

Here is one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16850&pcatid=16850

Here is another one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5178+16852&pcatid=16852

Did you see the 1 foot X 2 foot oval one here:

http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/tpo_1400863208179/page_2040

I think I'm gonna give that one a try. :idont

You could always make one yourself! :D

I need some type of floating ring and some netting. It wouldn't be too hard to make. I recently made a moss wall, so making plant floater seems doable. Maybe I'll find the time in the near future. Thanks!

Did you see the 1 foot X 2 foot oval one here:

http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/tpo_1400863208179/page_2040

I think I'm gonna give that one a try. :idont

That is similar to the first link I posted. Do take a picture of it in your tank if you do try it. I would love to see it!