Sign in to follow this  
Kitty1297

An issue with Moe's mouth

• Test Results for the Following:
    • Before 75% Water Change:
    • *Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.25 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 80 ppm
    • After 75% Water Change: (I only retested the ammonia and nitrate levels as those were the one's concerning me.)
    • *Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • *Nitrate Level(Tank) 10-20 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) ~0.25
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Before 75% Water Change: 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Test Kit Drops
      • * Water temperature? Before WC: 73F; After WC: 72F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 Gallons; 2.5 years since I moved, 4 years total
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? API Filstar XP L (up to 175 gallons)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% about once a week
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? May 3: 50% WC, May 4: 50% WC, May 5: 75% WC
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 Goldfish; 3 in, 3.5 in, 4.5 in, 6.5 in, 7 in (The 3 smaller ones are males and the two bigger ones are females)
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Progold once a day
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? Not since september 2013
      • * Any medications added to the tank? No
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
        • September Prazi 10 Days (when adding the new fish)
        • End of Feb, Beg. of Mar. Medigold 15 Days; Jumpstart 14 Days (Was treating Moe for a white fuzzy growth that was on his fin)
        • Today, I fed them medigold, but I'm not sure if that's the right course of action.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Moe's mouth looked like it was torn as if he had injured it, the skin was peeling off yesterday and the dead skin fell off. It was red and looked as if he scraped it on something. Today it looks covered over by white, but there is still some skin hanging from his lips. He looks like he might have white dots on his scales, but I'm not sure if they've always been there or they just showed up.
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He's not quite as active as he usually is and his mouth is slowly opening and closing. He looks off to me.
  • I posted pictures and a video here: http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/MegaKitty1297/library/Moe%205-5-14?sort=3&page=1

Tomorrow, I'll be cleaning the filter because I know it needs a good cleaning. Right now there's no ornaments in their tank, except for a bubbler to keep the water oxygenated. The females are seperated from the males because the males were getting too aggressive. We are searching for a bigger tank to upgrade to, because they've outgrown this one and problems keep coming up with the water quality due to overstocking. I was looking for a 100 Gallon. I'll be stopping at the pet store tomorrow on my way home from work for any medicine I might need.

Hello,

I'd like for you to do another 75% WC today if you can, and then salt the tank to 0.1%. There doesn't seem to be any redness/inflammation at the mouth area, which I take to be a very good sign. Other than the light salting, I would observe him only. Is he eating well?

The dots look like they are breeding stars, which on some fish, can be all over the body.

Thank you for the quick reply. I just did the 75% water change right before I posted this thread. I'll start with another water change and the salt after work tomorrow. He is eating very well! Should I continue with the medigold? Is there any medicine I should pick up at the pet store tomorrow just in case I need it?

Thank you for the quick reply. I just did the 75% water change right before I posted this thread. I'll start with another water change and the salt after work tomorrow. He is eating very well! Should I continue with the medigold? Is there any medicine I should pick up at the pet store tomorrow just in case I need it?

I think we are OK, medication-wise.

Here are two options that I would like to suggest:

1. Since you already started the Medi-Gold, perhaps you should finish out the 10 day course, although I do not think you need it. However, I would like for you to do 2 rounds of Prazi, since it has been over 9 months, and we are due for a re-treatment.

2. Stop the MG, and treat with 2 rounds of Prazi.

I lean more toward option 1, but either is acceptable. :)

I only fed them one feeding of medigold. I will go with option 2 and feed them the jumpstart. I feel as though they shouldn't have it if they don't need it. I don't want to make medigold ineffective. Do you want me to do the salt treatment still or just the prazi?

I only fed them one feeding of medigold. I will go with option 2 and feed them the jumpstart. I feel as though they shouldn't have it if they don't need it. I don't want to make medigold ineffective. Do you want me to do the salt treatment still or just the prazi?

0.1% salt + prazi, if you would please. :)

Ok, after work tomorrow, I'll clean the filter because it needs it bad. Then I'll start with the salt + prazi treatment.

I hope your fish feels better. Yeah you for having commons! I love them they are so smart!

Just wanted to thank you for filling out the form so completely and including pics and a video right from the start. :teehee

Good luck with your treatment. :D

Thank you everyone! :)

I just got home from work. So I'll work on cleaning the filter, doing a 75% water change and starting with the salt and prazi treatment.

Moe's lip looks like it's healing. He still has a little rip on it, but the clean water did a lot to help. He's looking a bit more active and less mopey. Still not 100%, but he's getting there.

Yeah, the commons and comets are awesome. 4 out of the 5 are rescue fish from a friend and his girlfriend. Ha ha! I've had the oldest one for a little over 4 years.

Where would I make a post if I'm looking for advice on upgrading my tank?

There is an equipments sub-forum.

However, you can post wherever you think it should go. If there is a need to move it, someone on the mod team will do so. :)

I'm glad it looks like it's healing. I love single tails and the lean bodied goldies for the fact that they are so hardy (and beautiful!). :)

Healing vibes to Moe!

I actually didn't get a chance to start treating yesterday as I had a lot of school and work to do. I'm about to clean the filter now and do a water change to prepare them for treatment. However, I want to make sure I do the right thing.

I noticed a white fuzzy growth on Moe's fin earlier, but it has since fallen off for the most part. There's only a tiny bit left on him. His lip had a piece of skin hanging off earlier and it fell off while he was swimming. It also looks a little bit redder than it did yesterday. Also, the fish were flashing late last night. I had added a dose of prime as it was late when I noticed and I really needed to get to bed for work. I also noticed that one of the other fish was picking at his lip. I'll keep an eye and watch them after we start treatment to see if that behavior continues.

I'll start the salt .1% + prazi tonight.

Also, is Epsom salt ok to use for the salt treatment?

Edited by Kitty1297

Nevermind the epsom salt question, I found my aquarium salt.

The filter is cleaned and we did a 50% water change. I let them recouperate from the water change for a little bit. I just added the Prazipro, and they're freaking out a little, and flashing a little bit. The 3 males are sitting near the bottom and twitching a little. I did not add the salt yet. I'm worried about them with their freaking out . . .

Edit: It's been a few minutes and they're looking a little better. Maybe it was the initial dose that bothered them. Now that it's diluting a little more they look more active and calmer. Moe is still clamping a bit, but I'll keep an eye on them for a while. I'll add the salt tomorrow so they can adjust to the prazipro. I don't want to stress them out too much in one night.

Edited by Kitty1297

How goes? :)

We added the salt a few hours ago and they look like they are handling it well. Moe's lip looks less red than it did yesterday and he still has a little bit of a fuzz on his fin. Other than that, they are all acting normal. I'll be feeding them in a little bit. I've been giving them the jump start, should I continue with that throughout this treatment?

You can feed him some Jumpstart (be careful of too much), but it need not be all that you feed. :)

Ok, thank you! I have some seaweed delight that I've been wanting to give them. I'll do that tomorrow. :)

Sounds fun! Be prepared for a huge mess! :rofl

Moe's mouth had a little bit of skin hanging off it this morning. It fell off by the afternoon. Now he has a little bit of a red mark, it looks like a cut. I don't see anymore fuzzy growths.

Also, Curly was rubbing against the rocks and his dorsal fin was twitching a bit. Is this a side effect of the treatment?

Yes, I think it very likely an effect of treatment, and may indicate that Curly had some flukes.

Keep us updated tomorrow, but I think so far things are progressing well. :)

Yeah, I haven't seen him do that since then. So it must not be happening too often. They all seem to be handling pretty well! Moe's lip no longer has the red on it. It has a litte piece hanging off, but his lip seems to be returning to normal coloration.

Fantastic!

How is everyone doing today?

I've been out all day and didn't really get a good look this morning, but Moe's lip looks a little worse. It looks like he is missing a chunk out of his lip. Last night it looked white like his normal lip color with a little bit of pink, but tonight it has more red on it. He has pieces of skin hanging off his lip.

Aside from that, all the fish look a little blah. I was hoping I could wait until tomorrow to do the water change, but that might not be an option. Also, I just saw Curly twitching a little bit while I was typing. The two females are hovering close to the bottom. There is also a long white stringy poop floating around and I'm not sure who it's from. They are not quite bottom sitting, but they are not very active either.

Edit: I'm waiting for my photos and video to upload to photobucket. I'll post a link as soon as it's done.

Edit 2: Here's the album with photos and video. His mouth is tough to get photos of. http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/MegaKitty1297/library/Moe%205-11-14?sort=3&page=1

Edited by Kitty1297