Sign in to follow this  
jdude360

Can A Goldfish And A Koi Mate?

I have goldies and Kois in my pond. Can a goldfish and a koi successfully mate together and make healthy babies. :huh:

Thats absolutley crazy. I had no idea that Koi and goldfish could breed and the babies would live. I would love to see some of these guys. Isn't that odd that the babies are sterile.

its actually common, when animals of related species breed, the

offspring is sterile for example lion and tiger

and mules(horses and donkeys)

many people think that the offspring b/w a koi and goldy is ugly

but i dont see it, there just as cool

Guest Pondandfish

Houston, we have a problem!

Just saw my feeder goldies courting in the pond. Few jumps I saw tonight, a black after a gold.

Problem #1 Only four goldies in the a 900 gal pond. May end up with lots of goldies. (my not eat eggs at all)

Problem #2 I want a Koi pond, not a goldies pond.

Problem #3 Added lots of fancy goldfish fry (maybe lionheads) to the pond few days before.

Problem #4 Kois in the house ready to return to the pond.

My pond and fish is keeping me very busy.

Pond and Fish Lover :ignore

Guest ed586

Uh-oh. Can you sell some to your lfs?

Can you get a tank for inside the house to put your goldfish in and then put the koi outside? Thats the only thing I can think of.

Guest ed586

Interesting, the koi and the goldfish are the same "species" but not the same breed. A horse and a donkey are of different species and produce sterile offspring. It is not the same here, but the goldfish-koi are sterile too. A labrador and a retriever don't have sterile offspring. Correct me here if I'm wrong. :hmm

Actually Ed I don't think Koi and Goldfish are the same species. They are the same genus, ie. Carassius but their species is auratus, hence 'Carassius auratus'. Carp or Koi are 'Carassius carassius'. Well, that's what it says in the book anyway.

It's probably true for horses and mules as well, whereas wolves and domestic dogs are the same species and can interbreed with fertile offspring.