Caribsea -- Sunset Gold

I will most likely have 2 fancy GF and MAYBE 2 gold dojo loaches later on (still researching their needs). My concern with only having a couple of plants is algae ... or is that not a real issue without the extra nutrients from the dirt? I definitely want substrate, just not gravel - although bare bottom tanks can look cool with driftwood and plants, my fish enjoy digging around in the substrate so much and I enjoy watching them do it (plus what you said about immunity makes sense - same as how some germophobic people can get sicker than other people when they are exposed to pathogens due to limited immune system buildup).

The GF I've kept have never eaten plants, but with new fish, who knows. So, I would stick to the tried-and-true low-tech plants like anubias, java fern, java moss, etc. The way I see it, I could either get a dirted tank and a ton of plants, or a sanded tank with driftwood and a few plants tied to it. I might go down to the beach this weekend to see if I can find a nice piece of driftwood or any cool rocks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I would stay away from keeping loaches with goldfish. If they get a taste for your fish's slime coat, then you could have a problem on your hands. Things like that are why I like to try and keep goldfish only with goldfish, and it may be coincidental but I have seen a lot of those types of injuries lately while browsing forums. But that is my personal preference based on others' experiences.

I think a natural beach-themed tank would look gorgeous, especially if you added something like onion plant or some grass-like plant to mimic the sawgrass on the beach. :heart

My theory with the large plants is that they would be the ones taking in all the nutrients. Since they are large, they would need quite a bit of nutrition to survive. Also, with goldies, you never know what they will eat. Even the tried-and-true anubias became a snack in my tank when Clementine was around. I would say go with what you like and do some experimenting to get it how you want it.

Really? I thought dojo/weather loaches had been demonstrated to be safe for goldfish. They are listed on Koko's website as being a compatible fish; that's why I started looking into them. But if there have been recent reports of this particular species attacking GF then I will look into this some more. I know there are some other loach species that aren't safe, but thought the dojo loach was.

Great idea about the onion plant. My friend just gave me a bunch of rocks, including a lot of jade, so the "beach" idea sounds nice.

Like I said, it is about personal preference overall. Since I have been here, I have seen fluctuations between people loving keeping things like BN and loaches with their fish, and then you see a case of a fish getting injured by the BN or loach and people decide it is a bad idea to keep them. It's something to keep in mind when putting anything in with your fish. There are a wide range of bottom feeders that have the possibility of and have been documented as doing this to goldfish. (I am sure you have seen http://youtu.be/fWaRN0zgoNU'> this video before.)

I find it is just better for me not to take the risk of introducing bottom feeders with goldfish and because I wouldn't advise someone to do something I wouldn't. ;)

Test the rocks you got for minerals that could interfere with the PH of your tank by putting a little vinegar on them to make sure that it doesn't bubble. :)

Dojos and BNs are considered in general to be safe and compatible companions for goldfish.

However, as with anything, there will always be exceptions. :)

I currently have BNs, and they are absolutely fine with my goldies. However, that was not true in the past, probably because I didn't give them enough food.

I will most likely have 2 fancy GF and MAYBE 2 gold dojo loaches later on (still researching their needs). My concern with only having a couple of plants is algae ... or is that not a real issue without the extra nutrients from the dirt? I definitely want substrate, just not gravel - although bare bottom tanks can look cool with driftwood and plants, my fish enjoy digging around in the substrate so much and I enjoy watching them do it (plus what you said about immunity makes sense - same as how some germophobic people can get sicker than other people when they are exposed to pathogens due to limited immune system buildup).

The GF I've kept have never eaten plants, but with new fish, who knows. So, I would stick to the tried-and-true low-tech plants like anubias, java fern, java moss, etc. The way I see it, I could either get a dirted tank and a ton of plants, or a sanded tank with driftwood and a few plants tied to it. I might go down to the beach this weekend to see if I can find a nice piece of driftwood or any cool rocks.

I would stay away from keeping loaches with goldfish. If they get a taste for your fish's slime coat, then you could have a problem on your hands. Things like that are why I like to try and keep goldfish only with goldfish, and it may be coincidental but I have seen a lot of those types of injuries lately while browsing forums. But that is my personal preference based on others' experiences.

I think a natural beach-themed tank would look gorgeous, especially if you added something like onion plant or some grass-like plant to mimic the sawgrass on the beach. :heart

My theory with the large plants is that they would be the ones taking in all the nutrients. Since they are large, they would need quite a bit of nutrition to survive. Also, with goldies, you never know what they will eat. Even the tried-and-true anubias became a snack in my tank when Clementine was around. I would say go with what you like and do some experimenting to get it how you want it.

Really? I thought dojo/weather loaches had been demonstrated to be safe for goldfish. They are listed on Koko's website as being a compatible fish; that's why I started looking into them. But if there have been recent reports of this particular species attacking GF then I will look into this some more. I know there are some other loach species that aren't safe, but thought the dojo loach was.

Great idea about the onion plant. My friend just gave me a bunch of rocks, including a lot of jade, so the "beach" idea sounds nice.

Like I said, it is about personal preference overall. Since I have been here, I have seen fluctuations between people loving keeping things like BN and loaches with their fish, and then you see a case of a fish getting injured by the BN or loach and people decide it is a bad idea to keep them. It's something to keep in mind when putting anything in with your fish. There are a wide range of bottom feeders that have the possibility of and have been documented as doing this to goldfish. (I am sure you have seen this video before.)

I find it is just better for me not to take the risk of introducing bottom feeders with goldfish and because I wouldn't advise someone to do something I wouldn't. ;)

Test the rocks you got for minerals that could interfere with the PH of your tank by putting a little vinegar on them to make sure that it doesn't bubble. :)

Last night I was over at my friend's house and she gave me a TON of rocks for my tank - mostly jade. Hopefully they will all pass the vinegar test, as they are very beautiful.