Anubias roots in the dirt

I've had several anubias and java ferns tied to driftwood in my 125 gallon dirt planted tank for the last five weeks. Some of the java ferns are starting to make little runners and they all seem to be doing well.

But I've kind of run out of room on the driftwood so I tried supergluing an anubias to a big rock, and then taking some of the roots and planting them (not the rhizome) down into the dirt. About half the roots are still above the gravel.

Does anyone have experience with anubias roots actually down in dirt?

I don't have any personal experience, but from what I understand it's important anubias's rhizome is above the substrate. :idont

I personally would get more rocks to tie it to :)

Many folks super glue the rocks too, but I am not skilled with the stuff :wall

Anubias go CRAZY when their roots hit the dirt. It's important that you keep the rhizomes above the substrate level, but if you help the roots into your cap, you won't have any issue; they'll just grow nicer. ;)

I have had mine in the gravel/dirt with no problems. Its when I tried to attach them to rocks that I lost all but two.

Edited by Hidr

Just to echo everyone else :P as long as you keep the rhizome above ground they will do fine with their roots in the substrate.

Thanks everyone for the info. I got a couple of larger Anubias coming so I think I'll try to do a group of roots in the dirt with each one.

Btw, I have two Anubias that are growing new leaves. The new leaves are red, but all the original leaves are green. Is that normal?

tank18.jpg

Just to echo everyone else :P as long as you keep the rhizome above ground they will do fine with their roots in the substrate.

Sorry to hijack this thread: If the roots start growing into the substrate, do I need to put root tabs in the substrate? Do the anubias then stop getting nutrients from the water column? Can I trim the roots if they grow into the substrate to force the plant to get nutrients from the water column?

Thanks everyone for the info. I got a couple of larger Anubias coming so I think I'll try to do a group of roots in the dirt with each one.

Btw, I have two Anubias that are growing new leaves. The new leaves are red, but all the original leaves are green. Is that normal?

tank18.jpg

Yes, that is normal for some of the varieties of anubias. New leaves start out red-brown, and then turn green as they mature.