Sign in to follow this  
meekka

Help treating Popeye/fin rot

My black moor, Pistachio, has an extremely swollen eye with a cloudy lump in it. He also seems to have fin rot. It has been going on for over two months now (I think I originally posted about him back in Feb.) and he has shown no improvement despite a round of melafix and later a round of Marcryn II. I have been feeding an antibacterial pellet food all week, but so far no luck with that either. Should I repeat one of these Mede? Try something different? I have salt, tetracycline, prazi-pro, and jungle fungus clear tabs on hand but am willing to track down anything that would work!

Photo and Other info below:

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level: 0ppm

Nitrite Level: 0ppm

Nitrate level: 0-5ppm

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

API drops

Water temperature?

72F

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

29gallon, ~1 year

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

Penguin Biowheel 350

also a small sponge filter

How often do you change the water and how much?

10-15% every three days

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

Today, ~15%

How many fish in the tank and their size?

1 fantail and 1 black moor, bodies ~2-3 inches long

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

prime

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Omega One small pellets, 2-3 times daily

Supplemental veggies ~once a week

Any new fish added to the tank?

no

Any medications added to the tank?

not currently

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

One round of Prazi about 6 months ago, one round of melafix about two months ago, one round of Marcryn II about one month ago, currently feeding antibacterial food.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

frayed/ragged fins, bulging eye with small cloudy bubble in it, white specks which I believe are breeding stars on gills and front fins

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

No change in appetite, occasional bottom sitting.

Here is a link to photos showing the eye swelling and the lump

DNAlex removed link 05/03/14 3:10pm CST

Unfortunately we are not allowed to link to outside blogs here, as per forum rules. Please post the photos and delete the link from the previous post. Photo urls can be copied from that blog and placed here. :)

Could you provide the name of the antibacterial food you are feeding, please?

Oh sorry! I'll fix that right away! The food is just called anti-bacteria and is made by jungle

Hope he feels better.

tumblr_n50k6mNugm1s46eaco1_1280.jpgtumblr_n50k6mNugm1s46eaco2_1280.jpg

Okay, trying the pictures this way! Sorry I didn't see all the image/url options from my mobile device, now that I'm on an actual computer things got much simpler. (Also, how do I got back and edit/delete that previous post? I'm new to this whole forum business :unsure: )

Hello,

While the eye is most definitely getting big, I do not think that there is an infectious cause to it. Telescope eyes will grow throughout a goldfish's life, and they do not necessarily (and often don't) grow evenly.

How long did it take for one eye to get that much bigger than the other?

When I first noticed it in the beginning of February the size difference was only slight, but by the end of the month it was really obvious and starting to concern me. It's just gotten larger and larger since then. I believe the white lump in it was what prompted someone at the LFS to tell me it was an infection of some sort though...? Should I worry about that at all? I can try to get a clearer picture of it if need be! Thanks for all your help :)

I think if it was infectious, it would be obvious 3 months after it started. How is he acting, eating, etc?

He is eating normally, I usually separate him from my fantail at mealtimes so she doesn't hog all the food. He rests on the bottom at times, but when I go near the tank he gets right up and back to business.