Sign in to follow this  
Remo AkaGizmo Barcellone

Modifying Eheim filter

So I've read a few times in the past of people modifying their filters, typically by cutting the sponge, and inserting something else in the middle of it?

I'm thinking of maybe doing something similar with my eheim internal 2012. I've noticed for the past month my water quality doesn't seem very good, very cloudy. I've usually put it down to my tap water being horrid, I live on the 3rd floor if that would make a difference?

So has anyone here got an Eheim filter they've modified? I think its a layer of filter wool or something you've to place in the middle?

Have you tried filter floss or purigen?

Also a Eheim Pick up 2012 wont be enough on its own for goldies

What size is your tank? How many fish do you have? Is that your only filter?

Cloudy water is not the norm. In my planted tank I end up with cloudy water after a water change if I'm reckless during refill. Usually any disturbed dirt particulates are filtered out within an hour though.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :hi

3 golds in a 33 us gallon (125L) ?

If the Eheim is your only filter then you will be under filtered. On this site we advocate 10x the total volume of water filtered per hour. So, for your tank, you would want 1250 litres per hour. The overstocking would be contributing too.

If you're not familiar with the nitrogen cycle, the video in this thread is a wonderful resource.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/109351-the-nitrogen-cycle/

If you have any questions feel free to ask. There is always someone around to respond. :)

Wait, you have a point. I bought it after being recommended by a client of mine, who keeps marine right enough... Now that I think about it I totally never even done any math! :/ huh.I guess I just seen the first part that said "up to 200l tank", took my guys word and cracked on.. .

So, advice.

I know deep down I should think about external filtration.. my tank is on an Ikea Expedit unit right now so there'd be a little space down at the bottom to put it. Money is tight right now (i will spare you the sob story but have been screwed by my energy company and I owe them just shy of a grand.....), great. 2 internals??

I wouldn't go with internals at all. Do you have room on that tank for HOBs? Usually you can get either a couple of HOBs or a single, powerful one for cheap. Aqueon is a cheap but good brand. If you have the money to spend a little extra, AquaClear or Marineland are also good. Amazon is a good place to shop for those. You're going to want 10 times your tank's volume turned over every hour, so look at the gph or lph instead of the filter's rating. Those "up to x liters" ratings are more geared toward tropical tanks.

The reason I say that internal filters aren't something to go with is that you are not really removing the detritus from the water. It all just sits inside that filter, inside the tank. When you turn off an internal filter, some of the crud escapes into the water again. With an HOB or Canister filter, you don't get that problem. Plus, both are easier to clean. Also, an internal filter takes up water space. Since you are aware that you're overstocked according to your introduction post, you'll want as much water space as you can get for your goldfish. The internal filter displaces some of that valuable water.

HI just to point out that you will not get AquaClear, Marineland or Aqueon Hang on the back (HOB) filters in the UK.

A Canister filter would be the way forward when you can afford it :thumb:

Edited by FlipsHere

I'm less critical of internal filters than Chelsea is, they have their flaws, but they do their job. If you're happy with your current Eheim I would look at one of their canister filters. Fluval make great canisters too. You can probably find some for a reasonable price on Gumtree. There's nothing wrong with a used filter, just give it a good sterilise.

Another option would be to build a filter for a fraction of the price.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100490-pond-filter-system-for-the-40b/?hl=+pond%20+type%20+filter&fromsearch=1

I ran the eheim power/aqua ball with an Eheim liberty for years (with 1 fish). A few months ago I bought the largest eheim liberty and run that. If I could have ordered a canister from Britain, I would of done so but there are downsides to being a non-EU country in Europe.

The German webstore had no trouble shipping me the liberty and I've been pretty happy with it. I wrote a review in the review section of this forum.

Nice oranda, Flips!

HI just to point out that you will not get AquaClear, Marineland or Aqueon Hang on the back (HOB) filters in the UK.

A Canister filter would be the way forward when you can afford it :thumb:

I have seen some UK-ers with AquaClears. :idont I was told they were available on Amazon.

Edit: Here.

Edit#2: Goodness gracious the other two are expensive... so maybe stick with the AquaClear if you would like to go with HOB. I wold go with a pair of AC 30s if your tank has the room for them along the top.

Edited by ChelseaM

Import duty is added to the price plus you need an 240v to 120v step down unit.. if you really wanted an Aquaclear you can find them if you look for hours and hours as I did for my AC110 but they are very rare. Better just to get a canister

I apologize then. With Hagen being an international company, I assumed that they would carry both UK and US versions of their products.

I've read all the replies, thanks everyone!

So yeah, external it's gonna need to be. No way I can afford £100+, so it's out of the question. However, I have found this and looking at maybe getting it. Won't be till maybe next weekend though. I will continue daily water changes till then anyway.. http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-1400-l-h.html

So I just read through the reviews, and the sucky thing is it has a Euro plug, and doesn't come with the carbon etc? So there's an extra outlay.

I read the thread about the AllPondSolutions external filter, and how it failed for someone, but interestingly there was someone else with a positive review.. Seems like it's maybe just luck?

I am kindda leaning towards the AllPondSolutions unite, mostly because everything is there, nothing much to worry about. And even if it does fail, it is under warranty? Hmmm

No need for carbon. You only need that to remove any medicine in the water. Instead just include more biomedia or floss/sponge for mechanical filtration.

Edited by LisaCGold

Edited by FlipsHere

I`ve just found a Euro plug adaptor that I would be happy to send you for free if you decide to buy the Eheim. :thumbup2:

I`ve just found a Euro plug adaptor that I would be happy to send you for free if you decide to buy the Eheim. :thumbup2:

Wow, you're a genuinely nice person! I am really looking to possibly buy the AllPondSolutions one, but the 1400lph one, it says preorder's £10 off right now, comes out on 15 May, so that's not an unreasonable amount of time.

Can you use PFK-VOU discount code too? 10% off with this :lol2