Sign in to follow this  
chuckie987

New 14G tank - What can I add?

Hey everybody,

I've acquired a new tank as the one I've got isn't big enough to keep my comet goldfish.

The new one I've got is 14 Gallons (about 50 Litres) is there any other small fish I could add as well as my comet GF?? He's only about 3" and had him for about 8 months.

Thanks,

Graeme

I'd advise against any other fish as goldfish alone should have about 15g a fish, but I deeeeeeefinitely suggest plants until you can upgrade it for him.

Anubias are one of the easiest to maintain and they're very low demanding. :)

Edited by Chai

14 is too small for a goldfish. 15-20 is the recommended minimum for goldfish, preferably 20 or more gallons per fish.

Please take a look at the fish in the following video, who is in a 10 gallon tank, to see why they need so much room. She is about a year old at the time of this video.

http://youtu.be/IveuaeF7koo

The 14 gallon would make a good home for a betta and a couple snails.

Edited by ChelseaM

It's awesome that you upgraded but 14 gallons still isn't ideal for a goldfish so I definitely wouldn't add anything else. If you manage to get a bigger tank for the goldfish then you could do a small tropical community.