Lighting help needed

Hello, so I recently planted my 36 gallon bow front tank with 1 inch of miracle grow organic complete potting mix and a 2 inch cap of tahitian moon sand. I also bought a 30 inch finnex fugeray plus moon light led. This light puts me at the high end of low light.Its 19 inches from the light to the substrate so it should be at 30 par. But if I get the fugeray planted plus it would be medium light. My question is would the planted plus be to much light? Would i then have to set up co2 to keep algae away? Or will the fugeray be enough to grow medium light plants. Thanks in advance.

You could consider using Seachem Excel instead of a CO2 system. I use the planted plus light (on only 6 hours a day) and only use Excel. I don't have a dirt planted tank though and most of my plants are relatively low light plants (except the crinium). Here is a thread on my plant and algae adventure: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116953-dry-fertilizers-from-green-leaf-aquarium/

When I contacted Finnex to get the PAR for their planted plus, they told me they currently don't have that information but that the light was more in the low-medium range as oppose to just the medium range.

You could consider using Seachem Excel instead of a CO2 system. I use the planted plus light (on only 6 hours a day) and only use Excel. I don't have a dirt planted tank though and most of my plants are relatively low light plants (except the crinium). Here is a thread on my plant and algae adventure: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116953-dry-fertilizers-from-green-leaf-aquarium/

When I contacted Finnex to get the PAR for their planted plus, they told me they currently don't have that information but that the light was more in the low-medium range as oppose to just the medium range.

I have seachem excel but i stopped using it when i got some vals because i don't want them to melt. I think I will go with the planted plus. my goal is to grow medium light plants with out having to set up co2 so I think this will work.

Oh yay, I've heard that excel tends to melt vals. I think then you'll want to play around with the photoperiod so as to reduce algae.

One thing about the planted plus lights, the light emits more of a "white" than "warm" colored light. I'm not too sure the right terms here, but when I was using just the standard tank fluorescent lights they emitted a "warmer" colored light.

Also, I'm sure others will chime in here about medium light plants, use of no CO2, algae, etc.

I totally relate to wanting to make a tank pretty! That is my goal too. Right now my tank is a bit on the ugly side with plants that I'm trying to rehab.

Edited by LisaCGold

Is the color just the way it looks or does it affect the plants? I have had my tank bare bottom, bare bottom with potted plants, with just the tms, to tms and just a few low light plants and I really think a nicely planted tank will finally give me the look I like.

It is the way the light looks and not so much about how it affects the plant.

I currently have potted plants with a very thin layer of very, very small gravel (or not so fine sand). As I've been reading threads/posts on kokos (including yours), I do feel a bit of a tug towards a dirted tank because the look will probably be more of what I want. Actually I know it will give me the look I want, I'm just wondering about the work and maintenance involved. So I'll continue to read on and think more about it.

So far I haven't had any problems with the dirt but I also haven't replanted anything yet. Its only been dirted for 4 days so I don't know yet how hard it will be too maintain.

Edited by britbrit916

By warmer I'm guessing you mean the fluorescent was in the 6000k range and yellow. LEDs tend to be anywhere from 8000-10,000k. Bulb colour temperature is more for you than the plants. It won't hurt them. :)

So I just returned the fugeray and got the planted plus hopefully my plants and I will like it. :happydance So now my question is will my plants be ok without light until Monday?

Edited by britbrit916

They should be fine. People routinely perform blackouts to combat algae (I just did one myself). You might end up with a few dead leaves here or there, but the plants itself will bounce back. Just remove any dead leaves.

Congrats on the new setup. I'm interested to know how the TMS cap works out for you. Has it fallen down and mixed with the dirt at all? I really prefer the look of sand but was worried about that because the particles are so fine.

Congrats on the new setup. I'm interested to know how the TMS cap works out for you. Has it fallen down and mixed with the dirt at all? I really prefer the look of sand but was worried about that because the particles are so fine.

So far it has stayed separate.

My new light and plants came! I hope they do well. I took some pictures but my phones camera isn't very nice and i'm having trouble up loading them. Can someone help me?

And I would like to say thank you to everyone who helped me so far.

My new light and plants came! I hope they do well. I took some pictures but my phones camera isn't very nice and i'm having trouble up loading them. Can someone help me?

You can either upload them using the Tapatalk app or Photobucket. If you use the latter you need to copy the 'IMG' link.

You can either upload them using the Tapatalk app or Photobucket. If you use the latter you need to copy the 'IMG' link.

thank you!

plant list

echinodorus parviflorus "tropica"

crypt parva

crypt spiralis

vallisneria spiralis

anubs nana petite

crypt wendtii red

rotala wallichii

heteranthera zosterifolia "star grass"

wisteria

water sprite

rotala rotundifolia

It's been a week since I added plants and things are going ok. Except for the water sprite and the echinodorus parviflorus "tropica".

Some of the leaves of the water sprite started turning brown yesterday. And some leaves of the tropica have slowly been fading away. What could be wrong?

Ph 7.6

ammonia.0

nitrite .0

nitrate 5.0

kh drops 4 (50-100 ppm)

gh drops 5 (50-100 ppm)

I tried taking pictures but my camera makes them look green and healthy.

Edited by britbrit916

I can't answer your question, but let me ask some questions for you to respond to that may help someone else help you.

Do you have your water sprite floating or planted into your substrate?

When you say your sword leaves are fading, can you say more about that? Are the leaves turning translucent or some other color? Just describe what you mean by "fading."

You have a dirtied tank, correct? And you add no additional nutrients and no liquid carbon, correct?

Edited by LisaCGold

I can't answer your question, but let me ask some questions for you to respond to that may help someone else help you.

Do you have your water sprite floating or planted into your substrate?

When you say your sword leaves are fading, can you say more about that? Are the leaves turning translucent or some other color? Just describe what you mean by "fading."

You have a dirtied tank, correct? And you add no additional nutrients and no liquid carbon, correct?

My tank is dirtied and the water sprite is planted. The leaves of the sword turn translucent then disintegrate. No additional nutrients or excel but i do have florish comprehensive and excel on hand.

Remove the dying leaves so the plant can put it's energy into new growth. Translucent leaves can be the result of two things: inadequate lighting or adjusting leaves. If the sword is new it may have been grown emersed and is now adjusting.

I would dose what you have on hand anyway, it won't hurt anything. :)

Remove the dying leaves so the plant can put it's energy into new growth. Translucent leaves can be the result of two things: inadequate lighting or adjusting leaves. If the sword is new it may have been grown emersed and is now adjusting.

I would dose what you have on hand anyway, it won't hurt anything. :)

Thank you. Ill remove the leaves and start dosing tomorrow. Hopefully they'l start looking better.