Aquarium salt and epsom salt

Can they be added at the same time... Or better yet, if a tank has aquarium salt in it (because of a ripped fin) can I add epsom salt to the tank or should I do a massive wc?

My littlest Goldie ripped her fin, over the weekend so after my weekly wc I added aquarium salt to help it heal. Now my other fishy is floaty because I tried a new pellet food yesterday. I've gave her peas earlier today, and there is a long poo coming out, but she's opening and shutting her mouth quite a bit and I'd like to add some epsom salt to help her poo. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Supporter

in short, yes, they can be used together, but.. i personally do not see the purpose of this.

Aquarium salt helps the healing process of superficial injuries on surfaces such as fins and slimecoat. it helps keep wound sites clean and sterile and it assists with killing off parasites.

epsom salts helps with the relief of constipation and retained fluids.

if your fish is mildly constipated, best you treat with more natural thing such as feeding boiled peas and if that doesn't resolve the issue, you can push an epsom granule into the pea instead of treating the water which your fish are in.

if you are treating for ripped fins, sometimes, you don't even need the use of salt. fish have are able to repair their fins naturally without any assistance from us at all. all they need is clean water and they will do the rest :)

Great idea on putting a piece in food! Thank u! About the ripped fin, maybe you can tell me... When I got the fish she was picked on by a bigger fish which bit off the very end of her tail fin, it grew back successfully but is now bent inwards and every so often it rips. I know the answer is probably no but, is there any way to fix this issue?

• Supporter

when fins have been bitten off/torn off, they do grow back, however, they may not or ever grow back 100%.. if it's grown back with a kink in it, then no matter how many times you cut that section off to regrow it, that's how it will grow back. i know this from the several times i have chopped fins off during procedures for my own fish.

most of the time, the regrowth will be without colour and just white, and over time, some colour may grow back. but as far as the the kink is concerned, that's the best it will get :)

would you like to post a pic of that area?

As Helen said, in this situation, neither salt NOR Epsom salt appears to be necessary, although that much we deduced only through your description.

I would just give them clean water and time.

Salt and Epsom are both very useful, although certainly they don't need to be used all that often. Clean water is the best initial treatment for most minor things. :)