Sign in to follow this  
Emilyadams

Eggs, again :)

Brine shrimp hatchery seems to be finished in less than 24 hours this time, thank you Rhea for your advice! Does anyone know how long I can leave the brine shrimp in the water with the fry before I should be suctioning it out? I have just been moving the fry from tub to tub everyday so they always have clean water but I don't want to move them if I haven't left the shrimp in there long enough.

Fry are 4 days old today and I'm considering adding an air stone. Have to go buy another air pump and tubing/control valve before I can do that so I have time to think it over. There seem to be a few with curved backs but they have orange bellies and are able to swim so I will give them a little more time before I decide to cull.

You're welcome. In my experience I can leave them in the pot about 3 days, but always with full aeration and in a warm place. If you want them to live a bit longer you have to add a pinch of spiruline or special liquid green for them (2 or 3 drops per 1/2 liter).

I didn't use an airstone until Waldo was 1 week old. :idont Not saying that's the way to go, just saying that's what I did. :rofl3

And I never removed leftover brine shrimp. I figured as long as they were swimming around they were available for eating. :lol2 BUT I only had one fry :o and he was in 2-3 gallons of water so I wasn't too worried about the water quality. I did 100% daily WCs like LabRat did (sorry I don't know your name :blush: ), moving him over then emptying and refilling the tank I just took him out of immediately so temp and pH were perfectly matched. :D

Good luck! Sounds like things are going well this time around! :nana

My name is Rusty. :) Oh, that was my 200th post. WooHoo! :nana

Edited by LabRat99

Hi Rusty :hi

The fry are 5 days old today and I am starting to see double tails on some of them, others it's too hard to tell. Also my brine shrimp hatcheries are back on track so they will be getting 2 meals a day again about 9 hours apart. I got up at 0500 this morning before my clinical placement to move the babies to a new tub because I don't quite trust my fiance to be gentle enough with them yet. Maybe when they get a little bigger. My placement goes until the middle of June so I don't want to be getting up even earlier EVERY morning beforehand lol

I still haven't added an air stone, I will assess them again tomorrow when I'm off and decide what to do.

Edited by Emilyadams

Today we are 6 days old. Prazi has been added as well as an air stone moving so slowly i can count each bubble as it leaves the stone. It's been a couple of hours and so far so good :)

Hi right back at you Emily! :hi

It sounds like things are going well so far. Best of luck with the fry. I'm looking forward to hearing how they are progressing.

Babies are 1 week old today

a5y6a9ap.jpg

They are so WEEEEEE!

They are so WEEEEEE!

I know right :) I just :wub: them

Today they are 8 days old and on their 3rd day of Prazi. They are doing really well with the Prazi as well as the air stone, growing bigger everyday and significantly faster everyday as well.

My fiance surprised me by coming home from lobster fishing yesterday with a 25 gallon tank he bought from his captains barn. Kind of small for growing out 57 babies but will do for a little while until I can find the time to get something bigger once my clinical practicum is over. :thumbs:

I love that he surprised you with a tank :D He is very thoughtful. Glad they are all doing great with the treatment and getting bigger. They will be huge before you know it!

Last night when I moved the fry, I had 52 instead of the 55-57 I've been counting normally. I found one dead, but the rest are just.. gone. Do you think its possible that at 1 week old they are eating each other? I don't understand where they could be and I've been counting 55-57 everyday since I started moving them.

Yep, very possible. Not much you can do about it unless you set up a boatload of tanks and separate by size . . . :idont

Oh my, not sure I have that much time on my hands haha. Thanks Lisa :)

Had to do my first cull this evening. One of the babies had gill fuzz so I removed him and put him in the main tank to face his fate. Hopefully it hasn't spread to any of the others.

When is the right time to add a sponge filter in with the fry?

Babies will be two weeks old tomorrow. I have had to cull two others with gill fuzz and have had some incidence of the fry eating each other (I think so anyway, there are never any bodies but always less fish) so I am now done to about 49 from 57.

Woke up this morning to 42 dead fry. I have 4 left. Not sure what occurred over night that would cause such a massive die off. I have been taking water from the main tank to fill their tanks and ammonia levels this morning were 2, this could have been the culprit. I never even thought to test the water but I did have to stop using one of my filters as it broke so I was down to one and that could have caused a cycle bump.

Sorry to hear this Emily :hug

Well I have two fry left. I added prazi to the tank as they seemed to be almost twitching while swimming and everyone has perked up it seems. I treated with prazi when they were 1 week old for 4 days but maybe the flukes were just overloaded

I'm sorry. I hope that your last two make it. Good luck.

Omg so cute , hope they grow strong and big. :D

Adorable!

Babies are currently 6 and a half weeks old. We shut down our brine shrimp hatcheries as I've been so busy lately I keep forgetting to restart them or forgetting to feed them so we've moved on to gel food and pellets :)

Babies are currently 6 and a half weeks old. We shut down our brine shrimp hatcheries as I've been so busy lately I keep forgetting to restart them or forgetting to feed them so we've moved on to gel food and pellets :)

I shut my brine shrimp hatcheries down this past weekend too. I'm feeding my babies Hikari pellets that are ground up with a peppermill.

I shut my brine shrimp hatcheries down this past weekend too. I'm feeding my babies Hikari pellets that are ground up with a peppermill.

Oh that's a good idea! I've just been putting a pellet or two in at a time and letting them peck away at it over the morning or afternoon.