My spring pond dilemna

My pond looked like it was going to go green and murky this spring but then cleared and never got green. Instead for the first time ever I have tons of string algae. It is literally covering every side and the bottom of the pond and is 4-5 inches long! It looks like I have a green shag carpet covering the sides and bottom of my pond. The fish are eating it but are not even close to keeping up with it. There is tons of poop on the bottom that I net out everyday since it gets suspended in the blanket of algae and can't make it to the pump. I'm actually concerned that my fish could get stuck in it since it is so long. The good part is that my water readings have been all zeroes even though my fish are eating like crazy and my water is very clear. My pH is now steady at 8.3. I'm wondering if the algae is causing my pH to go up? Do I need to be concerned about this overabundance of string algae or is it okay? I have a bubble bar and the output from the filter for oxygen so I'm hoping that the algae won't cause the oxygen to go down in the pond.

Here is a video... at the end you will see the poop lodged in the green shag carpet at the bottom :):

What some people do is get a toilet brush and twirl it around in the algae which winds around it. As it warms up, your fishes' appetites will increase and they will eat some of that. You are overfeeding your fish. :badidea

If you weren't overfeeding there wouldn't be "tons of poop" in the bottom, and that fresh food wouldn't be going uneaten. If you were a mean person like me, your fish wouldn't get any pellets until all the poop was bright green. :lol2

Sharon - I swear that most of their poop is green...and I do constantly see them eating the string algae all day long but they hardly make a dent in it. Don't they need some protein when the pond temperatures are in the 60's...or can they live strictly on algae? I only feed them once a day until they stop to chew :).

There's protein in algae. http://www.algae4feed.org/brief/microalgae-nutritional-composition/53 It's very nutritious.

My fish take in about half as much food when the water is in the sixties as they do in the summer.

Try the brush.

I should point out that "string algae" is not a specific type of algae, but rather a shape of algal colonies. It's like "tree." A palm tree and a maple tree have little in common other than being plants and growing tall. Your string algae may be very different than mine.

I have nothing helpful to add but wish you luck!

Sharon is one smart cookie :)

I've cut down feeding my boys quite a lot since I put them out in the pond, and yet they're growing way faster than they ever did in their tank. There's so much carpet algae growing on every surface in my pond that they can gorge themselves on it and still have plenty left. I didn't feed them for three days this week because the temperature dipped a little low, and when I went out to check on them I found the ryukin still trailing a six inch long bright green poop, looking happy as a pig in mud.

I would just leave it. Most people love plants in their pond. fish like to eat it. And it removes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc from the kind. It's a win, win, win for everyone. I have a hunch it will slow down once the water warms more.