Starting A New Saltwater Tank. Documenting The Process

Paradox Owl

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, the Firefish has decided to finally grace us with his presence! Here are some shots! Turns out also, the boyfriend was joking about the Wrasse's name, so now, both boys need a name!

10401367_10152537921976544_799398212155910411059_10152537922241544_206413801400310523837_10152537031096544_309382753963410524558_10152537922341544_878481181531710525880_10152537922066544_283558857186510525902_10152537922136544_7449129875171

Looks awesome! Is that live rock? That means it will grow out different things right? I don't know much about salt tanks but I think they are so stunning!

It's dry rock, Live rock is way too expensive.

What this will help with is bacterial growth as well as providing the two fish something to hide in.

You really should have a pound per gallon, but what we have pictured there is a 20 gallon long tank with 12 pounds of rock.

Hidr, yes I'm suing tap but I premix the salt into the water and let it sit for a day or so before adding it to the tank . I also use prime.

It's not really much different than a freshwater tank, all you have to really do is make sure the salinity doesn't go too high or too low. I check it every couple of days because water evaporation will cause a spike.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you! ^.^

So, sadly we lost the Wrasse... no idea how he died. We LITERALLY lost the flounder. We don't know if he's alive or dead... he is literally lost. We haven't seen him in days and sifted through all the sand and even removed the rocks to find him.

The Firefish is thriving however. I even named him Fred

I was SO loving this post.....I REALLY hope some how Slim Jim showed back up!

I have always wanted to do a saltwater tank but just have never tried!

Slim Jim is assumed dead at this point. I can't find him but I also can't find a body. Odd...

However our Firefish, Fred, seems to be doing well. He is still a little skittish but once food comes into the tank he's all for it! He's lovely. The "husband" and I are thinking we may just keep this a one fish tank. We may get a hermit crab but they kinda creep me out.

• 3 weeks later...

So we have come to the conclusion that Slim Jim must be dead. Still no body was found

On the other hand an interesting development has occured in my tank. I've noticed something living on our coral that reacted to light. They look like little white fans. Turns out these are tube worms. They are filter feeders and are a sign of a healthy tank! I'll post some pictures soon

:D how cool! I think that is what I find so intriguing about salt tanks. Living things tend to just show up! Like if i set one up i would just have to spend the big bucks and get some live rock because you never know what you'll get! Edited by Mernany

• 1 month later...

So, our heater broke in our saltwater tank and the temp dropped to 60ish. We slowly tried to warm the water up, but the Firefish, Fred, died.

We have decided to take a break from this Saltwater endeavor. Nano tanks are much harder to maintain then larger ones. I turned this tank into a freshwater tank for the Betta fish we have named Rocket Pop. He has the 20 long to himself with an assassin snail, John Wilkes Booth.

You can. contrary to popular belief, reuse the substrate. In our case it's sand. You need to drain the tank, then refill it while stirring the sand around. Repeat this process until you salinity reading is 0. I even used test strips that test both salt and freshwater. I used this because if there was any salt in the water, one of the readings wouldn't have shown. This process took a long time and several fillings and emptyings. The water becomes VERY cloudy but will dissipate in a day or so.

I used a cycled sponge filter for his tank, warmed the water, tossed in pest snails to ensure water was good, then added him. He is a VERY happy Betta. Being from Walmart he has his problems but he's an awesome little guy. I'll post a pic when I can.

This is what it looks like converted. I plan on adding more plants. Note the driftwood in back. It extends to the top of the tank with the filter behind it to keep flow low. 1533855_10152777387436544_19902904491938